Ovation of the seas

11 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

dhose sailing today received emails yesterday that she would be late, had some rough seas.

That is correct, had to sail around some bad weather, so took a bit longer to get home. 

Happy to say she left dead on time for the next cruise, which I happen to be on 😁

Edited by hotpaws1
Typo

5 minutes ago, hotpaws1 said:

That is correct, had to sail around some bad weather, so took a bit longer to get home. 

Happy to say she left dead on time for the next cruise, which I happen to be on 😁

I thought she actually left early, didn’t think it was due to sail till about 6:00ish, got a call from Miss Gut about 5:30 to say they had cast off.

We certainly had some rough seas to contend with. As the Captain said....we were doing more movement up and down than forward....

I think there was also a technical issue, as the water was off throughout the ship for a period , early in the morning.

2 minutes ago, vozzie said:

We certainly had some rough seas to contend with. As the Captain said....we were doing more movement up and down than forward....

I think there was also a technical issue, as the water was off throughout the ship for a period , early in the morning.

Probably due Biosecurity issues, I heard that the Snail wrangler was crook and some of the other crew had to round up all the snails before they get into port.

There were some rough seas, but the ship didn't keep to the speed that the Captain said it needed to in order to be on time, so there may have been other issues we weren't informed about (the water being off might have been a symptom of something else).

THEN the big question is - why was disembarkation so mismanaged that many people missed their flights afterwards?  Imagine there are 4900 passengers on the ship, and about 3/4 of them are lined up on deck 5 WITH LUGGAGE all trying to get off at the same time.  

It was a debacle.

I don’t think passsengers we’re made  fully aware of the severity of the weather conditions crossing the Tasman. The barometric pressure dropped to similar lows for a Category 1. Likewise the wind speeds were up there in that range. 

I think the captain managed the situation very skllfully without unduly alarming passengers. My husband was calculating the max speed the ship could go and the distance to be covered. I think he predicted that we would have to arrive late about 36 hours before we were due to arrive.

There was no disembarkation questionnaire used for this cruise, which caused some of the problems. A questionnaire could have allowed prioritisation of those who had flight to catch.

We were in no hurry to disembark, and by the time we left, any problems were largely sorted out.

Edited by Blue Elephant
Correcting typos

On 10/24/2019 at 6:26 AM, Chiliburn said:

And people think they can make a 11:00 flight to LA
This is why they should stay the extra night.

Agreed, the issue is that most times, everything is fine, but when it doesn't there is major stuff ups and delays.

15 hours ago, Blue Elephant said:

I don’t think passsengers we’re made  fully aware of the severity of the weather conditions crossing the Tasman. The barometric pressure dropped to similar lows for a Category 1. Likewise the wind speeds were up there in that range. 

I think the captain managed the situation very skllfully without unduly alarming passengers. My husband was calculating the max speed the ship could go and the distance to be covered. I think he predicted that we would have to arrive late about 36 hours before we were due to arrive.

There was no disembarkation questionnaire used for this cruise, which caused some of the problems. A questionnaire could have allowed prioritisation of those who had flight to catch.

We were in no hurry to disembark, and by the time we left, any problems were largely sorted out.

Good job, as someone wise once said, 'Plan for the worst, hope for the best'.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

Agreed, the issue is that most times, everything is fine, but when it doesn't there is major stuff ups and delays.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Murphy’s was a optimist.

I’m still dumbfounded how people would travel half way across the world on a ship and want to try to make a flight in a few hours and go back.

Even if you had been to Sydney multiple times wouldn’t you stay a night or two 

one cruise I was talking to some people from Kansas,They flew in the day of the cruise and flew out the day they got off.

Never been to Australia before.but they were going to do a tour on the way to the airport.

Edited by Chiliburn

6 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I’m still dumbfounded how people would travel half way across the world on a ship and want to try to make a flight in a few hours and go back.

If a sailing is round trip, departing and ending in the same city, I choose to do the land portion of my vacation pre-cruise, usually spending 2-3 days. When the cruise is over, I’m usually ready to hop on the first flight home I can possibly take.  

I did spend an extra night in Seattle after an Alaska cruise (simply because we could save a lot of money by taking a flight the following day) and I enjoyed the unhurried pace as well as the additional sightseeing that we couldn’t do at the beginning of the cruise, so I can see the benefits of spending an extra night at the end of the cruise as well. 

24 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

one cruise I was talking to some people from Kansas,They flew in the day of the cruise and flew out the day they got off.

Never been to Australia before.but they were going to do a tour on the way to the airport.

At least they would see some Sydney traffic.