Hey, Search works!

DryCreek

I was kinda' wondering about a question I had the last time we cruised - a hopping 10 years ago!

Anyway, I remember positing the question on this board, and it became very "interesting".

The question I had back then, and again this time for an upcoming cruise is about any restrictions for bringing a pocket knife.

I found the answer in two excellent threads where some very helpful and polite posters were able to actually cite Carnival policy and point to the source.

First Thread

Second Thread

I love it when you find helpful and non-judgmental advice.  as I mentioned, I recall that the discussion went off-track as people were wondering whatever on earth I'd need to bring a "saber" or "weapon" onboard for.  I had to politely explain to them that in the West, and the South, many gentlemen still carry a pen knife in their pocket as an everyday too, not to start a bloody swordfight with.  My everyday pocket knife is usually one of my Buck Stockman folding knives with three blades, the longest is either 3" (normal days) or the 2-1/2" one (dress pants).  I had planned on carrying on of my other Schrade stockmans on the cruise with me (more affordable if lost) just in case...

To answer their queries as to the use of a pen knife, I had several:

opening that accursed clamshell packaging

pulling staples out of papers or boxes

removing "Irish pennants" from clothing or other textiles

cleaning my fingernails

prying open small things that are stuck together

cutting that extra-tough broccoli at Panda express (plastic knives are powerless against it!)

removing the tags from my wife's new shirts after they keep scratching her neckline

etc.

And do you find yours to come in handy?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D.C., you did an outstanding job of educating the people who were being critical. A lot of people don't understand how handy they are. Especially if they've never been out to the country.  

I've carried a pocket knife since I was 6 years old. Some 67 years ago. For our cruise last July, I had no hesitation of carrying my pocket knife with a miniature pair of pliers, 2 blades(2 1/2 and 1 1/2"), 2 screwdrivers, leather punch, and can opener. Went through security check in(where you have to empty all your pockets, and put it in a basket), without as much as a blink of the security person. 

I found mine extremely handy all through the cruise. Used it several times per day, every day. I don't leave home without it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, coevan said:

I always travel with my Leatherman

I've got a few of those, but they seem awfully bulky for my front pocket.

When we're out working cattle I carry a large folding knife with clip - but that clip tends to fray my pocket - unhappy wife.  Of course she's always asking for it when we are setting out hay.  Her small knife takes forever to cut through the bale wrap it seems..

2 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

D.C., you did an outstanding job of educating the people who were being critical. A lot of people don't understand how handy they are. Especially if they've never been out to the country.  

I've carried a pocket knife since I was 6 years old. Some 67 years ago. For our cruise last July, I had no hesitation of carrying my pocket knife with a miniature pair of pliers, 2 blades(2 1/2 and 1 1/2"), 2 screwdrivers, leather punch, and can opener. Went through security check in(where you have to empty all your pockets, and put it in a basket), without as much as a blink of the security person. 

I found mine extremely handy all through the cruise. Used it several times per day, every day. I don't leave home without it. 

As I recall, they didn't bat an eye when I plopped mine in the basket back in 2010 - despite the dire warnings of confiscation and probable imprisonment (J/K) from some posters.

A reasonably sized pen knife is a gentleman's tool.  It's far less of a weapon than that 750 ml wine bottle is.

I was just wondering if anything had changed in the past 10 years, and thankfully there are shreds of sanity existing these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DryCreek said:

I was kinda' wondering about a question I had the last time we cruised - a hopping 10 years ago!

Anyway, I remember positing the question on this board, and it became very "interesting".

The question I had back then, and again this time for an upcoming cruise is about any restrictions for bringing a pocket knife.

I found the answer in two excellent threads where some very helpful and polite posters were able to actually cite Carnival policy and point to the source.

First Thread

Second Thread

I love it when you find helpful and non-judgmental advice.  as I mentioned, I recall that the discussion went off-track as people were wondering whatever on earth I'd need to bring a "saber" or "weapon" onboard for.  I had to politely explain to them that in the West, and the South, many gentlemen still carry a pen knife in their pocket as an everyday too, not to start a bloody swordfight with.  My everyday pocket knife is usually one of my Buck Stockman folding knives with three blades, the longest is either 3" (normal days) or the 2-1/2" one (dress pants).  I had planned on carrying on of my other Schrade stockmans on the cruise with me (more affordable if lost) just in case...

cleaning my fingernails

cutting that extra-tough broccoli at Panda express (plastic knives are powerless against it!)

removing the tags from my wife's new shirts after they keep scratching her neckline

etc.

I'm in South Carolina .I have a Kershaw clip knife hanging from my right front pocket any time I'm wearing clothes along a with a Ruger lcp in that same pocket.the knife isn't for fighting.unless absolutely necessary.i worked in the skilled trades almost all my working life and a knife was the handiest of all tools.ive wore out a few.(makeshift screwdriver,wire stripper ,pry bar) my progressive liberal wife used to have a tizzy about it often.she thought it was for nefarious purposes .she has gotten over it and went and got her cwp and her own little pea shooter .she doesn't carry a knife she just uses mine (she still can't figure out how to close it) so moral of the story is there might still be hope for the world.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I actually carry 2 knives on me, when I'm traveling within the boarders of Texas. The one listed above, and my other is a Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn Covert Automatic. As the lifting of the automatic knife ban took place in 2013, I carry it everywhere in State. Perfectly legal here, but not in all states. Even though the blade length is only 3.78" and since I'm not familiar with Mexican knife laws I opted to leave it at home for our cruise. 

20 hours ago, DryCreek said:

First Thread

Second Thread

cleaning my fingernails

etc.

I always carry a tiny 1 1/2 inch Swiss Army knife. Invaluable. In my early cruises, I thought I was so clever trying to hide in in a pair of socks and such!

OK, so I'm not an outlier on this subject.

It's good to hear that folks see the value in a small folding knife.

I think that it would be a good idea to leave an automatic knife safely at home if traveling to Mexico.  I have a very nice one that was given to me, but I seldom carry it.

4 minutes ago, coevan said:

you wouldn't take it off the ship in Mexico, it will be safe in your safe.

Well, I thought about doing that, but don't know how security at check in would view it. I'd hate to have it confiscated. It cost a pretty penny....at least for me. So I decided to err on the side of caution.

16 hours ago, DryCreek said:

True, indeed.  But you would still want to make sure that you had something.....

Something for what? 

16 hours ago, Joe817 said:

I'd hate to have it confiscated

who would confiscate it? must be a Texas thing 😲

4 minutes ago, coevan said:

Something for what? 

who would confiscate it? must be a Texas thing 😲

Nope. Common sense, and a sense of value. Aren't the security people at the terminal TSA employees? And it IS a Texas thing. Not all states find it legal to carry a switchblade. 

"It has been illegal since the 1950s to possess or use a switchblade in Texas. Carrying or using a switchblade in the past was a class A misdemeanor. People convicted for using or carrying a switchblade could receive a fine as high as $4000 and weapon confiscation. The judge also could give the person up to one year in county jail. Tx knife laws were revised in 2017.Switchblades are no longer considered to be illegal. Individuals may not be punished for carrying or using them. You also cannot be arrested for manufacturing a switchblade. Nor can you be penalized for repairing, selling or repairing a switchblade. All of these actions were illegal before but are no longer. The Texas statute that covers these changes is HB 1862. That law preempts various local knife ordinances that have more restrictions. The law ensures that the repeal on switchblades is the law throughout the state."

https://www.houstoncriminalattorney.us/laws/texas-knife-laws/

2 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Aren't the security people at the terminal TSA employees?

no they are not, and knives and Leatherman tools are legal in your luggage. I never mentioned a switchblade, but it's a nice quote. 

53 minutes ago, coevan said:

no they are not, and knives and Leatherman tools are legal in your luggage. I never mentioned a switchblade, but it's a nice quote. 

I did not know that. Thanks. The proper term for a switchblade is "automatic knife".  The slang word is switchblade. 

6 hours ago, coevan said:

Something for what? 

Some type of edged tool for those little things that come up in life every day.

The bane of humanity is the invention of heat-sealed clamshell packaging.

How clever of them - to show you what you purchased, and still keep you from using it.  Taunting you, showing how powerless you are before clear plastic.

Then, out comes the small pen knife, and who's the tough guy now Mr. Clamshell?  Huh? 

On 10/23/2019 at 5:56 PM, coevan said:

I always travel with my Leatherman

I have a Gerber dime multi tool.  Small size is convenient for travel.  

PS: It even has a "package opener" blade.