Chops and Portofinos is the only way!!

We were on the Serenade the week of Jan. 21st. The first couple nights at the main dining room we had this waiter from Turkey(don't know his name) who was not friendly or attentive at all. He would just tell us the specials and stare off into space. So we decided to try Chops and Portofinos. We never went back to the main dining room. The food there was average at best. Then came Chops and Portofinos. First class service and amazing food. Presentation amazing!!! Not stuffy either. We met up with 3 other couples and switched off between the 2 restaurants. It is worth the $20 to go everynight!!! You all gotta try the Carpaccio app and chilled tomato soup with scallops and avacado at Portofino's. I am a Fine Dining waiter here in Denver and the Service at Chops was the best we have had. Please you all have to try these places.

Wow, I wonder if you had the same mediocre server I had from Turkey on my Navigator cruise. He did the same thing yours did!!!

We too were amazed by the food in both Chops and Portifino..but not in dining room. Our server in Portofino especially was perfection. It is no wonder they only pick the best to go in there.

Glad to see you enjoyed yourselves!!!!

My family had a waiter from Turkey of the Voyager cruise I took back in 2004, and he was great. although on the Explorer cruise I took, our waiter was from Jamaica and kept getting our orders wrong, So we ate at the Island grill for the rest of the cruise. We liked it actually. We even dressed up on formal night to that place. Altough hopefully next time we get a better waiter for the dining room.:)

Chops and Portifino's are both very good when compared to the main dining room and stack up well compared to many higher end restaurants. I wouldn't go so far as to say either has been the best I've every had but, for $20 per person it's shouldn't be missed.

Fortunately we've always had pretty decent wait staff in the main dining room and we've always had very nice table mates. Those two things make the main dining room experience all the more worthwhile IMO. I suppose if we ever came across a really poor waiter or tablemates that we just didn't click with, then I'd be more than willing to eat in the specialty restaurants every night. I really hope that doesn't ever happen though. ;)

I think if we ever got a terrible waiter, I'd have to speak to someone about it. Maybe have my table changed or something. Thankfully, all of our waiters have gone above and beyond on service! By a few meals, they knew our preferences and catered to up like we were royalty! Lovely!

Fang, I think that only the Radiance and Voyager class, plus Enchantment of the Sease (which recently was stretched) ships have the specialty restaurants. I've also read that not all of the Voyager class have both Chops and Portofino's but I can't remember which those are.

Some help I am.....:(

Are reservations easy to get once you get on the ship?

Is the last night a good night to go or is most of the good food gone?

If you are going to Chops, find out which night steak is served in the dining room and go that night. (I didn't like the dining room steak)

Make your reservations as soon as you get on the ship.

Ruth Chris can be bad also, we had a bad time there. You know things can happen anywhere. I was on the Serenade for 2 weeks and we did Chops and Portifinos. But did not feel the need to do it more than once even on a 14 day cruise. So we found the DR food to be good to excellent all the nights we ate there, and we also had a wonderful set of servers!:p

Go find a Morton's or a Ruth's Chris. Is it better than those?

I haven't eaten at Ruth's Chris Steak House but have eaten at Morton's. It's comparable. The meat is of the quality that the weight of the knife generally is enough to cut through the steak.

I have been to both Ruths Chris and Mortons. Maybe it was a bad night at both, but I felt they were both overpriced and the food was not that good. I know many people who love both places, so I think I may have just been there on a bad night. I do not think I would go back.

I have to say that I love the Palm. Been to Palms in San Juan, Las Vegas, Chicago, Atlanta and New York. Every meal has been great.

We were on Legends in 2000 to Europe and had the best waiters ever. The first night I asked for a plate of lemons for my water and I never had to ask again. Every dinner a plate of lemons was waiting in front of me. There were other things also that told me "this is a waiter worth an extra tip". There was not a Chops or Portifinos on that ship, so it wasn't an issue. Or at least I don't think there is.

We went on Serendade to Alaska in 2004, when it was practically brand new. Our waiters were average as far as service, but had the best personalities ever. They joked with us so much and told us a little about their personal lives and it was really fun. We did do Chops 2 times and Portifino's 1 time, and each time was wonderful. We were with another couple, so it was always fun.

Archived