Rental car at the end of the cruise

jerseagal

If you are renting from Alamo, National, Enterprise, Dollar, and Thrifty they provide free shuttle service from the Port Of Miami to the Miami International Airport Rental Car Center which is located directly across from the Miami International Airport. The shuttles circle the terminal area until they have a full load of passengers for the short fifteen minute ride to the Rental Car Center. Some drivers will ask to see your rental car reservation before they allow you on the shuttle. This is done because some cruise passengers are waiting for free transportation to get them to MIA for there flights home. If you rent from either Avis, Hertz, or Budget they have downtown Miami locations that are relatively close to the Port Of Miami. The downtown locations tend to get very busy on turnaround days because they are relatively small and on most occasions understaffed. Personally, when I rent a vehicle I take the shuttle with my family over to the Rental Car Center. The facility is open twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. You always have adequate inventory there and the rates are in most cases very reasonable.

Shuttles will be clearly marked, although they can get full quickly and they usually request/require you to show proof of rental to board.  We’re doing this yet again in a couple weeks and it’s very easy and a short ride to the airport location.  All the major agencies will have shuttles, we’re using Avid but have used National/Alamo before with no issues.

How about the reverse- I will be returning a Alamo car. I plan to go to airport and trust the shuttle will take me to the ship. Although the ship leaves on a Tuesday not a popular day 

The rental car shuttles leave from the top floor of the Miami International Airport Rental Car Center. When exiting the building the Port Of Miami shuttles are usually parked to the right side of the entrance. The shuttles parked directly in front of the entrance take you over to Miami International Airport, so make sure you are on the right one. The short ride to the Port Of Miami takes approximately fifteen minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 6:46 PM, Corby114 said:

If you are renting from Alamo, National, Enterprise, Dollar, and Thrifty they provide free shuttle service from the Port Of Miami to the Miami International Airport Rental Car Center which is located directly across from the Miami International Airport. The shuttles circle the terminal area until they have a full load of passengers for the short fifteen minute ride to the Rental Car Center. Some drivers will ask to see your rental car reservation before they allow you on the shuttle. This is done because some cruise passengers are waiting for free transportation to get them to MIA for there flights home. If you rent from either Avis, Hertz, or Budget they have downtown Miami locations that are relatively close to the Port Of Miami. The downtown locations tend to get very busy on turnaround days because they are relatively small and on most occasions understaffed. Personally, when I rent a vehicle I take the shuttle with my family over to the Rental Car Center. The facility is open twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. You always have adequate inventory there and the rates are in most cases very reasonable.

Not in a big rush to start the day so will be one of the last ones off the ship will they still be circling at 10am?

21 hours ago, mattR said:

Not in a big rush to start the day so will be one of the last ones off the ship will they still be circling at 10am?

They should be, but have the number for the MIA location in your phone and call when you  get off to make sure they know where you're at.

On 11/4/2019 at 7:36 AM, iahawkfan21 said:

Shuttles will be clearly marked, although they can get full quickly and they usually request/require you to show proof of rental to board.  We’re doing this yet again in a couple weeks and it’s very easy and a short ride to the airport location.  All the major agencies will have shuttles, we’re using Avid but have used National/Alamo before with no issues.

I don't think Avis/Budget has a shuttle to MIA from the port. That would be good news if they have one now.

Port Of Miami Shuttle For Cruise Ships 

99 Southeast 2nd Street Miami, FL 33131, US 

I think we're going to go with Thrifty since we're Blue Chip with them which will be honored at the airport location.  I've heard the 2nd street locations (for example Avis and Budget) do not honor their Frequent programs because they are too small to have 2 separate lines - anyone know if that is true?

And how easy is it to avoid tolls just in the downtown area - not sure whether to buy the Plate Pass or not.  We're actually only keeping the car for one day.