Allure of the Seas - Royal App question

anewell28

Hi everyone, 

I am currently looking forward to my November 24th sailing on Allure. In the past on Royal Caribbean, my family and I dont bother with buying the wifi because we like to be disconnected from our phones. So we never bothered with the Royal Caribbean app. This time around I downloaded it just so I can find my way around the big ship no problem. 

Now here is the question, I know you can use the app without purchasing wifi, but can you message the other members of your reservation through the app without purchased wifi? Or do you have to have the purchased wifi on all devices to be able to message each other?

Thanks!

Yes you can! I can confirm from my cruise back in Jan 2019, we were able to message without buying wifi.

I know you didn't ask, but I loved the app so much I want to point out it's super helpful for looking up activities (which change and are added all the time on board) so you don't miss out on anything in real time! Also was awesome for us to reschedule entertainment if we realized we wouldn't make it to a show at the time we originally booked.

We are the same as you, we like to disconnect but dang...they just made the app too convenient for me NOT to use! Lol

• Like 1

Works great w/o any package.  Just remember to turn on airplane mode, and then turn on wi-fi.  That way you don't accidentally run your cell phone while at sea.

Like genrichgn30 points out, it's a great replacement for the paper compass.  And you can add things to your calendar.  Since I don't really have notifications- we didn't experiment with it reminding us of events we wanted to go to.  But that sure seems possible.

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am booked in january on allure then we get off and hop onto serenade ots for another cruise.   I have the app and have used on other cruises however our reservation for allure is not showing up.  Does this ship use the same app?

Yes, there is only one app for RC ships now.

20 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That's what I thought.  I wonder why our booking isn't on the app.  It's on regular website and we checked in last week.  I guess I'll wait and see if it shows up when we get on the allure

I know that the RCI App supports Allure because Allure is one of the two ships on which the app supports the  texting feature.

All the shows and excursion I’ve booked on Allure don’t show up on my Royal Ap under “my calendar”, will it do so once we are on board?  

Under my reservation on the Ap it shows that I’ve booked something including the time but no detail as to what show or excursion.  

Not very helpful Ap so far 🙁

IMG_4310.PNG

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Pardon my stupid question, but how can the Royal app update information without being connected to the internet if you don't have a internet package?

Because that information is held in a database on the ship so there's no need to access the internet.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

Because that information is held in a database on the ship so there's no need to access the internet.

That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. Love the app on Harmony last month. Now I know why I could not get the text part to work as it looks like they did not make it active. I did experience one hiccup in that I could never add events to my calendar. It wasn't till I went to GS and they suggested to log out and then log back in that I was able to add events to my calendar. Curious if anyone else experienced this?

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. Love the app on Harmony last month. Now I know why I could not get the text part to work as it looks like they did not make it active. I did experience one hiccup in that I could never add events to my calendar. It wasn't till I went to GS and they suggested to log out and then log back in that I was able to add events to my calendar. Curious if anyone else experienced this?

Surprised texting did not work when you were onboard the ship.  Harmony is one of the two ships from which people report the texting is functional.

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Surprised texting did not work when you were onboard the ship.  Harmony is one of the two ships from which people report the texting is functional.

Bob I could have been doing something wrong. Here is the screenshot I took when I tried to text message my wife on the app after typing in her name.

IMG_4784.PNG

Here’s a question. For messaging, does the app need to be open or running in background in order to see a new message come over? Can you only see messages inside the app or does it push messages to phone (like regular text messages). Hope that makes sense. How do you “connect” to other passengers? Just have to know their reservation number? Send request?

12 minutes ago, FLgemini said:

Here’s a question. For messaging, does the app need to be open or running in background in order to see a new message come over? Can you only see messages inside the app or does it push messages to phone (like regular text messages). Hope that makes sense. How do you “connect” to other passengers? Just have to know their reservation number? Send request?

You have to know their full name that they have on their reservation.  You search for them by that name and request to add them.

The push notifications weren't working when I was on Harmony in May, but I have heard that they are now.  However they won't work if you lose connection from the ship's wifi.  The messages will still come through but you won't get a notification once you reconnect back to the wifi (say for example you get off the ship in a port and someone that stayed onboard sends you a message -- it won't notify you when you get back to the ship that you have one waiting without opening the app).

14 minutes ago, FLgemini said:

No pushing of messages to the phone, you must use the app for messaging.