reef safe sunscreen

awtorrey

Hi.  We are going to be on a snorkel excursion in Cozumel in January and have read that we are supposed to use REEF SAFE sunscreen.  I've been searching for this on Amazon for a while and just when I think I have a product I can use, the reviews say NOT reef safe.  Does anyone have one that they have used?  That you know works (to protect my skin) and won't harm the coral reefs?  Any advice on what to look for and/or what to stay away from would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

I use ThinkSports non-nano zinc product, works great even though it makes me look a little like Caspar the Friendly Ghost. (They say it gets clear after rubbing but it never goes entirely invisible for me.)

There's a list on snorkelandfins.com that's pretty helpful.

https://www.snorkelsandfins.com/reef-safe-sunscreen-brands/

• 2 weeks later...

I found “REEF REPAIR” SUNCREAM SPF 30+ on eBay before our last cruise.  Three smaller tubes so it would not be a hassle for our carry on luggage for our flight. It is more of a paste, not really a cream. It smells different too but it worked VERY well. We did a reef snorkel in Cozumel.  It was really disheartening to notice no one took the reef safe requirement serious.  Our tour operators said if you already applied regular sunscreen to wipe it off with a towel.  Pretty ineffective in my opinion.  

Have a great time!

• 1 month later...