Updates from the Queen Elizabeth as we head to Australia

Hello from the Queen Elizabeth!

Since I last posted an update we have been busy! We stopped at  Walvis Bay, Namibia, spent two days in Cape Town, South Africa and then went to Port Elizabeth, South Africa!

Walvis Bay, Namibia – It’s a small sea side town, with not that much to see in the local area and you really needed to do a tour (Cunard tours here started at $100USD!/pp) or find a private tour, if you can! And the locals tours been sold on the dock are pricy as well!

We ended up getting the Cunard shuttle bus to the shopping centre to pick up a few supply’s and to stretch our legs after 8 days at sea!.

After that we got a taxi to the bay to see the local flamingo, thousands of them. Then it was back to the dock and had a look around the stalls outside the port gate and then back on board.

Cape Town, South Africa – We had two great days. We did the hop on / hop off bus around the place.

On the first day we went up to Tabletop mountain, which took us about an hour to get up the top as the line was long!!, the views where amazing! Then we went all around the city. In the evening we did the Sunset trip up to Signal Hill. The sunset was a bit disappointing as it went in to a cloud bank, we watch as we ate donuts our picnic and  then it was back to the ship to see the local folkloric show.

On the 2nd days we went back on the hop on / hop off bus and did the mini Peninsula tour.

Then we went on a boat trip around the harbour and saw a lots of seals and baby seals.

We were  late leaving Cape Town, as two of the ropes they use to lift up the gangway got caught between the buffer and the wharf, that took them a while to free the ropes!, in the end they had to loosen the ships mooring lines a little bit, so the last cable could get unstuck!. Then the Pipe Band and a singer played as we sailed away

We liked Cape Town and would not mind going back there!

Will write about Port Elizabeth in another post, once I have sorted the photos!.

32 minutes ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Then the Pipe Band and a singer played as we sailed away

We liked Cape Town and would not mind going back there!

Its a great feeling to get a send off . They dont do it much these days.

We loved Capetown too . We had 3 days post cruise there and saw a lot. Attractions are all within an easy drive of the City . We even did the boat trip over to Robben  Island to visit the old prison and cell , where Nelson Mandela was held.

On 22nd November 2019 we were in Port Elizabeth, South Africa and we did our first Safari.
It was really good. We saw Zebra, Elephants, Giraffe, Rhinos, Lions with a fresh kill, Warthogs plus lots of Springboks to name a few…. It was a good day!
We where late leaving Port Elizabeth, due to immigration being slow to process all the passports.

The game reserve ask us if we want to post photos of the Rhinos on social media, not to name them, as then poachers, will know that they got rhinos and go and try and poach them!

IMG_8246.JPG

IMG_8298.JPG

IMG_8318.JPG

IMG_8339.JPG

IMG_8343.JPG

IMG_8396.JPG

IMG_8439.JPG

IMG_8447.JPG

IMG_8460.JPG

IMG_8488.JPG

IMG_8570.JPG

IMG_8603.JPG

IMG_8610.JPG

IMG_8708.JPG

IMG_8837.JPG

IMG_8894.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I have not posted much since my last update, but the internet onboard has been slower than normal and there has not been much wifi ashore.

Since my last update we have been to Le Port, Reunion, and Port Louis, Mauritius

Apparently when we sailed in to Le Port, Reunion, the Queen Elizabeth will appeared in the background of a movie that has been shot on the island :), The captain did not say what the name of the movie was.

We tried to do a ships beach tour in Le Port, Reunion, but it was cancelled as not many people wanted to do the tour.

So we got the Cunard Shuttle bus to town, which was quite a drive from the port, then from the town we got a Tuk Tuk to a beach and then went snorkelling!

It had been 4 months since we last snorkelled, (We last snorkelled in Aruba!), so it was nice to get back in!

We had a nice day. It did rain a little bit as we were heading back to the ship.

At Port Louis, Mauritius – We did a ships tour. We went sailing on a catamaran and then stopped to snorkel.

The snorkelling was ok, not much coral, but lots of fish! I have to say the snorkelling the day before was better!

We where late leaving Port Louis, as the fuel bunker barge was late getting to us, which meant the ship was late getting her hull scrubbed!. The Queen Elizabeth had to get her hull scrubbed before we got to Australia.

We have also had a few ambulances and unwell passengers get off as well.

The first 7 photos are from Le Port, Reunion and the last 8 photos from the catamaran photo is from Port Louis, Mauritius.

PB274291.JPG

PB274299.JPG

PB274308.JPG

PB274323.JPG

PB274329.JPG

PB274366.JPG

PB274384.JPG

PB284657.JPG

PB284660.JPG

PB284671.JPG

PB284682.JPG

PB284701.JPG

PB284724.JPG

PB284763.JPG

IMG_9622.JPG

• Like 1

@Kiwi_cruiser - someone posted on FB that they go a letter on board saying that  the dress code is relaxing while QE is in Australian waters and men no longer need a  jacket on smart attire night - can you confirm?  

8 hours ago, lissie said:

@Kiwi_cruiser - someone posted on FB that they go a letter on board saying that  the dress code is relaxing while QE is in Australian waters and men no longer need a  jacket on smart attire night - can you confirm?  

This has been posted in the Cunard forum — Slippery Slope

The other interesting comment is the post is a change in dining times, making them earlier.

As I am boarding tomorrow, I have not had any advice from Cunard on either point. Plus the voyage personaliser is having serious “issues” as it is being upgraded. 

Edited by Docker123

12 hours ago, lissie said:

Check out my post 'Slippery slope for QE'.  over on the Cunard board .

On 11/15/2019 at 2:12 PM, Kiwi_cruiser said:

What was involved with the crossing ceremony?  Looks messy!  

When we crossed the Arctic Circle there was a ceremony where some of the (brave) passengers jumped in the wadding pool filled with  ice.  They were rewarded with a shot of aquavit and a smidge of blue colored egg white on their nose!  Lots of fun!

On 12/5/2019 at 7:48 AM, lissie said:

Some of the die hard Cunarders won't like that, on QM2 I saw blokes in jacket and tie at brekkie, having the full English.20121432_1498366156869106_6543050952178438338_o.thumb.jpg.bf457ca3db0ecff3cc55c435c3e3c669.jpg

24 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Some of the die hard Cunarders won't like that, on QM2 I saw blokes in jacket and tie at brekkie, having the full English.20121432_1498366156869106_6543050952178438338_o.thumb.jpg.bf457ca3db0ecff3cc55c435c3e3c669.jpg

there are some serious commentary on the Cunard board, follow the link in my post above for colonial edification.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

there are some serious commentary on the Cunard board, follow the link in my post above for colonial edification.

Just read Slipper Slope' on Cunard, they sure paid us Colonials out.  I recommend the below attirelowes.jpg.447029ef1491c5889dbf91084090c17c.jpg be mandatory for smart attire nights on ye olde QE.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

But that's not an English breakfast! Where's the black pudding?  The hash browns are definitely an American import - not sure about the baked beans. Where's the kippers and  kedgeree! 

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Just read Slipper Slope' on Cunard, they sure paid us Colonials out.  I recommend the below attirelowes.jpg.447029ef1491c5889dbf91084090c17c.jpg be mandatory for smart attire nights on ye olde QE.

never seen anything like that since Big Kev shuffled off.

anyway, here is my formal night attire, note it is black

ACE1B3A4-D2DA-4626-B705-61D1ECA8DC07.jpeg.0da03b94b7ef6d15365b76ffb4a2e333.jpeg