What To Do Until 2PM Flight

PixieMom3

Around that time, the SJU airport tends to get very busy with several flights departing simultaneously, so I would plan extra time to scan bags at the USDA checkpoint and then to go through security. So I’d plan to be at the airport no less than 2 hours before departure. 

As far as what to do for a few hours, I understand that there are some establishments in Old San Juan that will allow you to leave your bags (for a fee) while you explore the old city. Someone can chime in with the specific establishments because I don’t know which ones they are off the top of my head.

Time will fly by!  I would suggest you get to the airport 2-2-1/2 hours earlier.  I recall the airport to be crowed and slow.  Get off the ship as late as you can.  Also sometimes you do not clear customs so quickly- so that might cause a delay.  Enjoy a leisurely stress free lunch at the airport before your flight- like many people, you can read or play with your phone!

Have a great vacation.

you really won't have  that much time to spare.   Be one of the last groups off the ship  and then proceed directly to the airport

despite PR being a US territory, I'd classify it as an international flight, which means you want to be at the airport 3 hours  prior.  you might have enough time to grab a bite to eat once you get through security.  

I can't remember the details but we did the El Yunque rainforest tour with airport drop off. I can't remember what the minimum departure time was in order to be able to buy this excursion. And is SJU one of those airports that you can't check your luggage until 2 hrs before departure?

Agree with fellow poster.  2 pm flight is not that early...simply comfortable.  Sometimes ship gets delayed coming into port (for many various reasons).  Traffic getting back to the airport can be a bit dicey at times, airport security at San Juan is definitely packed up many times.  

My flight is also 2 pm coming back on February 8th.  We will take our time with dining room breakfast, wait until the masses depart, and take a cab to the airport.  Some lunch, reading, check emails at the airport while we wait to board...will go a lot faster than you think.  

• Like 1

We haven't been to Puerto Rico for several years. There used to be a fast food restaurant walkable from the airport. We checked our luggage and then walked over. It was a burger king or Wendy's I think. Much cheaper than the airport prices. We flew Delta. Maybe someone can confirm it's still there.

Remember at San Juan Airport you need to go thru USDA screening before you can check your suitcases. This adds on to the time needed at the airport.  I second the suggestions to have a late breakfast, stay onboard until the last minute (usually 9 or 9:15), cab it to the airport, go thru USDA screening, check your bags, and either go thru security and have lunch or walk around the airport and sit outside for a few minutes more of sunshine and then have lunch.  Time will pass quickly.

• Like 1

Around year 2000, I spent a few days in PR before going off to my friends wedding in St, Thomas.

I had made the mistake of not booking a hotel in PR in advance and most of the hotels had no vacancy... except for the airport hotel.

After checking in the luggage, I discovered the Puerto Rico Tourist Bureau office downstairs in the airport.  EVERY hour they had a free Rum Tasting and Welcome to Puerto Rico presentation.  The drinks were generous and strong.  I had a Pina Colada and a Puerto Rican Hurricane.