Civitavecchia arrival time and getting off the ship

feenix

We are traveling on Allure of the Seas with a Civitavecchia arrival time of 7 am, June 4.  Is it possible to be off the ship to meet a cab by 7:10 am?  That is how long we need in order to meet the tour we would like to join at the Vatican by 8:45, according to the driver.  Thanks.

Not getting off for an excursion, but I can give you our disembarkation experience in Civitavecchia. When we were on Oasis this past summer, we also arrived in Civitavecchia at 7am.  We had a 10:50 plane to catch so we wanted to be off the ship as soon as possible. Our ride was waiting at the port starting at 7am, assuring us he did this all the time and we could plan to be off the ship at the latest by 7:15.

We arrived in the Promenade at 6:30am to get in the non-existent line to self carry off. The guy told us to go get a coffee because there is never a line to get off early in Rome.  They opened the doors shortly after 7 and we cleared customs and were sitting in our cab by 7:10. By the time they opened the doors there were only 3 families waiting to get off the ship. 

Not sure if you can access the disembarkation line, but if you can, you can easily make a 7:15 cab per the RCI people at the doors.

4 hours ago, feenix said:

We are traveling on Allure of the Seas with a Civitavecchia arrival time of 7 am, June 4.  Is it possible to be off the ship to meet a cab by 7:10 am?  That is how long we need in order to meet the tour we would like to join at the Vatican by 8:45, according to the driver.  Thanks.

I would not try that timing.

6 hours ago, feenix said:

Ok thanks - I will figure out something else.

Check the ship excursions for a special train to Rome.  Sometimes they offer an express train that only takes about 45 minutes.

In Europe there should never be a problem to be off the ship 30 minutes after docking max, since there are no customs issues within the EU countries. We caught once a flight at 10:00 from Rome and were off th ship on departure morning at 07:00 with no problem, it was on Jewel if I remember well.

We booked a private tour with 8 (+driver) in a van and managed to see a lot that way.  It was pricey as I remember but not crazy expensive split 8 ways.   It would work well with fewer too actually as our tour guide could not ride in the van with us - there is a strict limit on vehicles carrying over 9 passengers in some areas - and was following us around the city in a taxi to give the tour.  As noted above getting off the ship when all is normal can be done, but the ride from the port to the Vatican in the morning has a huge amount of traffic that could be hard to predict.

51 minutes ago, RBKL said:

We are on the Explorer in May. It says it arrives at 5 AM. Will they wait until 7 to let people off or could it be earlier?

In Europe, they normally start letting people off around 30 minutes after arrival.