Do we need a passport?

JEN5508

55 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree my DS friend. Hell my birth certificate is so damn old it's hand scribed on parchment paper. 😀

OMG...I am sooo glad it was a bit too early to be sipping my happy hour wine....it would have been all over the key board.  Toooo funny!! 🤣🍷  Good one my "young" DS friend. 

I just stopped looking in the mirror years ago.  😄 I prefer the way my passport (which is going on nine years old)  looks...."Hey lady...isn't this your daughter??!!"  

Edited by island lady

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Never say never.  😉  As mentioned...passports books are good for 10 years.  

When we started cruising we knew that we wanted to travel by international air at some point but we knew that wouldn't be for well into the future since we couldn't afford it, with or without the kids. We decided to wait until we could make one of those trips before getting them, which didn't happen until 2015. Everyone's situation is different and a good many people are well aware that international air travel is not in their future.

16 minutes ago, island lady said:

OMG...I am sooo glad it was a bit too early to be sipping my happy hour wine....it would have been all over the key board.  Toooo funny!! 🤣🍷  Good one my "young" DS friend. 

I just stopped looking in the mirror years ago.  😄 I prefer the way my passport (which is going on nine years old)  looks...."Hey lady...isn't this your daughter??!!"  

Yea I believe a lot of us are on our 5th or 6th passports. We've been using passports long before our cruising days. It is wine time. 🍷🍷

2 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

When we started cruising we knew that we wanted to travel by international air at some point but we knew that wouldn't be for well into the future since we couldn't afford it, with or without the kids. We decided to wait until we could make one of those trips before getting them, which didn't happen until 2015. Everyone's situation is different and a good many people are well aware that international air travel is not in their future.

In your case it is still "never say never".....just "not right now".  😉  Life changes bring on surprises.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Which would be accepted for boarding when coupled with a government issued ID😉.

Yea I know. We but prefer the passport over dual ID. A lot easier and faster when needing to provide the document. Personal preference. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

In your case it is still "never say never".....just "not right now".  😉  Life changes bring on surprises.  

And people that decide to forego a passport right now aren't saying "never", because if their circumstances do change they just go get the passport.

• Like 1

Just now, davekathy said:

Yea I believe a lot of us are on our 5th or 6th passports. We've been using passports long before our cruising days. It is wine time. 🍷🍷

I think my first passport was printed on tree bark.  😁🤣

And yes it is, my DS friend.  20 minutes to happy hour right now, living here in the swamps of the east.  😄 🍷😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

And yes it is, my DS friend.  20 minutes to happy hour right now, living here in the swamps of the east.  😄 🍷😉

Today I will start on your time. 😎🍷

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Yea I know. We but prefer the passport over dual ID. A lot easier and faster when needing to provide the document. 

I love having not just the book (which we leave in the safe on the ship, along with my wallet)....but also the passport cards as photo ID when we are checking out the ports.  Fits easily in my pocket, along with Credit Card, and Sea pass card.  🙂 

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

I love having not just the book (which we leave in the safe on the ship, along with my wallet)....but also the passport cards as photo ID when we are checking out the ports.  Fits easily in my pocket, along with Credit Card, and Sea pass card.  🙂 

I will have to consider that option also. Thanks my DS friend for tip. 

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

I will have to consider that option also. Thanks my DS friend for tip. 

You are most welcome!  On my last couple of renewals, I opted for the additional cards.  Love having them as picture ID versus DL.  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

We leave our passports in the safe and carry our EDL's with us. We debated getting passport cards when we decided we needed something more durable for boarding cruises once I found out how expensive it would be to replace DW's naturalization certificate ($375 then, $550 now). We live in a state that does issue EDLs and decided to go with them since we carry our license with us all of the time anyway, even though in the long run they are a bit more than the passport cards are. 

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

We leave our passports in the safe and carry our EDL's with us. We debated getting passport cards when we decided we needed something more durable for boarding cruises once I found out how expensive it would be to replace DW's naturalization certificate ($375 then, $550 now). We live in a state that does issue EDLs and decided to go with them since we carry our license with us all of the time anyway, even though in the long run they are a bit more than the passport cards are. 

Whatever works....enjoy your cruise time.  🙂 

4 hours ago, Despegue said:

You will be going abroad, including the EU. Get that passport and avoid severe consequences in case of you having to disembark/ repatriate.

I sometimes really wonder why people are so reluctant to get a simple passport and in my opinion, Caribbean islands, especially EU ones should start to make the possession of a passport mandatory when visiting the island by cruise.

No severe consequences. Only a hassle. They would go to a consulate and get an emergency passport. As for the Caribbean island requiring a passport most of them don’t want to lose the cruise ship business. So don’t expect them to require a passport anytime soon. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, island lady said:

Friday happy hour has already started here in New England!  Cheers!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

No severe consequences. Only a hassle. They would go to a consulate and get an emergency passport. As for the Caribbean island requiring a passport most of them don’t want to lose the cruise ship business. So don’t expect them to require a passport anytime soon. 

Martinique does...see post #23 quote from Royal.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Here is the email I got a few days ago (since our 2/1 cruise goes to Martinique) ...and now just a few minutes ago as a reminder.  Not that the OP is going there, but this is trending towards the sign of the times:

Martinique requiring passports is not a sign of the times or a trend. Martinique is an outlier in many ways.