Public transit in L.A. to Cruise Terminal

lazydaz

Arriving on Alaska Airline at Ontario International Airport and boarding NCL Joy in Long Beach Cruise Terminal.  Need advice on travel to the terminal at a reasonable cost. Have a hotel near the terminal for overnight before boarding.

Ontario is 60 some miles from the port. An Uber or Lyft is probably going to be your best bet. Figure $75 to $100 for an Uber X. Traffic is lighter on weekends and the trip will take at least an hour and 15 minutes. But can still be very heavy at any time. Rush hour on a weekday would slow the trip down to 2 to 3 hours.

This thread has more tips from people who have done it:

@ColeThornton I was just working on the exact same thing!  Had the search/directions pulled up and the link copied when you replied!

Can't tell you how many times I'd be having a discussion with someone at work and we're wondering about something, we then realize we have these wonderful devices at our disposal on which we can enter our query and find the information.  Some people are just more adept at using those devices or entering the appropriate query than others.

Didn't realize Alaska Airlines would land at the Ontario International Terminal so may have to rent a car to get to the San Pedro terminal unless there is a metro rail link or some easier way to get to the San Pedro cruise terminal.  Thanks for your help.

Public Transport from Ontario to a hotel in San Pedro would require well over three hours ...and two buses and a train, none of which would really be set up to accommodate your luggage and maybe over a half a mile of walking...

And then, the question, based on your prior posts, would be:  Is your hotel in San Pedro or Long Beach?  Los Angeles Harbor is extremely large--Long Beach is on the Eastern edge of the harbor complex, San Pedro on the Western edge...a hotel in Long Beach may be as much as 6-8 miles--or more--from your ship.  In fact, Long Beach itself is a big city and is several miles across--if you chose a hotel in East Long Beach (Golden Sails, Hotel Current or others), you could be more than 12 miles from your ship...

Generally, I never recommend using Ontario Airport for a cruise unless:  1) You are visiting family in that part of SoCal or 2)  You get such an incredible deal that you cannot pass it up (and are willing to pay back a good portion of that savings in extra transportation costs--and time).

LAX--20 miles from the pier--makes the most sense for most cruise passengers (despite the size and crowds) due to its location and the number and frequency of flights.  Long Beach Airport--16 miles from pier--makes great sense if you can find appropriate flights.  John Wayne (Orange County)--33 miles--makes sense especially if you are visiting Disney or some other OC attraction pre- or post-cruise.  Burbank--36 miles--makes sense especially if you are planning a pre- or post cruise visit to Hollywood/Universal.  Ontario--60 miles--makes little sense for most people.

Rental cars from Ontario with a drop-off in San Pedro--beware of two issues--1)  There may be some very steep one-way drop-off charges and 2) If you are arriving in San Pedro on a weekend, be aware that the only two car rental offices there--Hertz and Enterprise--both close at 1:00 on Saturday and are closed on Sunday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lazydaz said:

thank you for your help, I have booked the Sunrise Hotel in San Pedro for the night before the cruise.  Don't know what I will do about my flight, will look at all the options.  

Personally, there are only two...maybe three hotels I would stay at in San Pedro.  Before my cruise in three weeks, I am staying the one night before at the Doubletree.  My second option would have been the Crowne Plaza...If neither was available, the Best Western on Gaffey would be the third choice--not thrilled about the location, but, at least it gets favorable reviews.  The Sunrise, OTOH, generally does not.

Check it out here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32655-d81285-Reviews-Sunrise_Hotel_San_Pedro-Los_Angeles_California.html

If that doesn't scare you away, at least it's close to the pier.

If your flight isn't booked quite yet, I know Air Canada/WestJet have nonstop flights to LAX from Calgary and Edmonton...You'd save time and money flying into LAX and have a number of options on getting from LAX to San Pedro...it's only a 20 mile ride--even in the worst of rush hour conditions, it should take an hour at the very worst.  Ontario to San Pedro could take an eternity.  Even Alaska Airlines can get you to LAX or John Wayne (SNA) with one stop in Seattle.

• 3 weeks later...

Know the OP changed their plans.  This info is for those searching options.

We live near ONT.  The only viable option is to rent a car, it'll be cheaper than any shuttle or Lyft/Uber/taxi.

If you were sailing out of Long Beach and wanted to ride the rails, plan about 3 hours.

San Bernardino Line (closest station is Rancho Cucamonga) to Union Station.

Transfer to the Red or Purple Line to the 7th St station.

Take the Blue Line to Long Beach.

Take the Passport Bus to Queen Mary.

On 12/14/2019 at 5:17 PM, lazydaz said:

Thank you so much for your help, sorting this out has been quite a challenge.  I have cancelled the Alaska Airline reservation and will rebook with Air Canada.  Will also change my hotel reservation.

Alaska Air fly into 4 of the 5 airports in metro Los Angeles.

LAX - main airport

ONT - Ontario, as you've discovered, a long way from port

BUR - Burbank, also a long way from port

SNA - Santa Ana/Orange County (John Wayne Intl)

LAX and SNA would be the preferable ones.

I suspect your issue was you selected "All Los Angeles Airports" in your search.

On 12/30/2019 at 11:49 AM, scottbee said:

Alaska Air fly into 4 of the 5 airports in metro Los Angeles.

LAX - main airport

ONT - Ontario, as you've discovered, a long way from port

BUR - Burbank, also a long way from port

SNA - Santa Ana/Orange County (John Wayne Intl)

LAX and SNA would be the preferable ones.

I suspect your issue was you selected "All Los Angeles Airports" in your search.

Thanks for the information.  I probably will use Westjet which has a non stop  from Edmonton too LAX.  Costly mistake on my part, I could take Alaska Air to LAX but it does have a stop in Seattle.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:54 PM, SadieN said:

Know the OP changed their plans.  This info is for those searching options.

We live near ONT.  The only viable option is to rent a car, it'll be cheaper than any shuttle or Lyft/Uber/taxi.

If you were sailing out of Long Beach and wanted to ride the rails, plan about 3 hours.

San Bernardino Line (closest station is Rancho Cucamonga) to Union Station.

Transfer to the Red or Purple Line to the 7th St station.

Take the Blue Line to Long Beach.

Take the Passport Bus to Queen Mary.

Thanks for the information.  Renting a car is out,  we are seniors and don't want to drive in LA traffic. We thought about the transit but just too much of a bother.  I have cancelled my original flight and will book a direct flight to LAX.  Expensive mistake unfortunately.  We took the same NCL cruise in October heading south so decided to take the same trip heading north in April.

• 2 weeks later...

We aren't familiar with Uber or Lyft since neither are available in our province, so what would recommendations be for seniors going from LAX to Long Beach now that SuperShuttle is out of business? 
Thanks in advance for any recommendations or advice.