platinum (free dinner), tipping?

tokidoki

22 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

Post #18, has link to latitudes rewards and look for specialty dining

Thanks. Ok, ". Service charges are included in this benefit"

I had read that as 'I won't get charged the service charge' rather than that NCL will PAY staff the grats on my free meal....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nclsuncruiser said:

Thanks. Ok, ". Service charges are included in this benefit"

I had read that as 'I won't get charged the service charge' rather than that NCL will PAY staff the grats on my free meal....

Exactly.  If you think NCL is giving the servers a tip on your free meal I have a bridge to sell you in Alaska.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

Exactly.  If you think NCL is giving the servers a tip on your free meal I have a bridge to sell you in Alaska.  

This. It's simply impossible for me to hold a view that NCL will hand over cash on our free meals to staff as gratuities. They've "included " them insofar as they're not charging them.

15 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

This. It's simply impossible for me to hold a view that NCL will hand over cash on our free meals to staff as gratuities. They've "included " them insofar as they're not charging them.

My common sense take - it’s in NCL’s interest for us to tip the servers, therefore if service charge/tip was not included, they would say so, the way they do for the non-DSC staff.

1 minute ago, erdoran said:

My common sense take - it’s in NCL’s interest for us to tip the servers, therefore if service charge/tip was not included, they would say so, the way they do for the non-DSC staff.

I see your point. But non DSC are a category that affect all customers. The free plat meals are only related to a minority of customers and my suspicion is that they aren't handing those servers 20%, but telling them to suck it up like NCL are on the meal. Who knows!

1 minute ago, nclsuncruiser said:

I see your point. But non DSC are a category that affect all customers. The free plat meals are only related to a minority of customers and my suspicion is that they aren't handing those servers 20%, but telling them to suck it up like NCL are on the meal. Who knows!

There have been different communications on this from Norwegian. I will ask a staff member next time I'm on.

ONE common easy to understand DSC Gratuity Tip Bonus will never be administered by NCL !

It is like the proverbial "Bridge to Nowhere in Alaska" that is referenced.

NCL and other cruise lines don't want to enable the FAIR FARE --- service tips included issue.

Why oh why don't the cruise lines just simply charge a competitive fare and leave the tips gratuities

up to the guest customer ???

Pay their crew members a wage and not hide or confuse the issue about tips gratuities as additional

compensation (wages?) between crew members with widely confusing percentages -

10% here 15% there sometimes 18% and then 20% !

"To Tip or not to Tip - tis more noble to tip on a sliding scale or a fixed prejudice one - forced upon thou*** ?"

*** Oh you can of course adjust the tips (DSC) - but WHY ? Include it in the fare and be done with it !

My soapth box just got washed out from under me with a global warming calving glacier !

Happy New Year to all regardless of tips gratuities - it is too late for Scrooge DSC Merry Christmas !

1 hour ago, Coastalbreezes said:

I always leave a cash tip, usually $10, at specialty restaurant dinners (unless the service is bad which is rare). It is appreciated by the server and isn't going to break my budget for the cruise.

Would you increase the tip for a free platinum meal or consider it equivalent?