T-shirt / shorts weather still ?

chanc

Looking forward to our cruise in a week's time.   For folks that just returned, is it still t-shirt / shorts weather in Cabo / Mazatlan / PV ?   Want to get a sense of the "real" weather vs what I can see on weather websites.  

It is always a good idea to check the long range weather forecasts for temperature trends (Accuweather goes out to several weeks).  But I will tell you that once we arrive in PV (our winter home) I rarely wear anything other then shorts and a T-shirt.  When we see better dressed folks during the daytime we assume they are off a ship :).

Does it get chilly?  Sometimes it can be a bit chilly very late at night or early in the morn.  In fact, I have seen Mexican ladies sometimes wearing oven mitts very early in the morning if it is in the high 50s F :).  Why oven mitts?  I am not sure you can even find gloves or mittens in Puerto Vallarta :).

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

It is always a good idea to check the long range weather forecasts for temperature trends (Accuweather goes out to several weeks).  But I will tell you that once we arrive in PV (our winter home) I rarely wear anything other then shorts and a T-shirt.  When we see better dressed folks during the daytime we assume they are off a ship :).

Does it get chilly?  Sometimes it can be a bit chilly very late at night or early in the morn.  In fact, I have seen Mexican ladies sometimes wearing oven mitts very early in the morning if it is in the high 50s F :).  Why oven mitts?  I am not sure you can even find gloves or mittens in Puerto Vallarta :).

Hank

LOL thanks Hank ! Love the oven mitts anecdote.

Luckily we don’t need to check long range forecasts as we will be there in a week’s time 😉 

But I just wanted to a get sense of what’s it’s like on the ground currently.

9 minutes ago, chanc said:

LOL thanks Hank ! Love the oven mitts anecdote.

Luckily we don’t need to check long range forecasts as we will be there in a week’s time 😉 

But I just wanted to a get sense of what’s it’s like on the ground currently.

You got me thinking of the weather (we will soon be in PV for the winter) and it appears to be very normal in Puerto Vallarta.  This means daytime highs in the low 80s and nighttime lows in the low to mid 60s.  We usually expect to go through the entire winter with no more then 1 or 2 rainy days although we have actually had a couple of winters with zero rainy days.  One reason we decided to make PV our winter home is the near perfect weather from Dec - March.  Other reasons are the fantastic selection of terrific restaurants (we can walk from our condo to at least 200 eating venues), wonderful people, safe environment (hard to convince many how safe it is in parts of Mexico), and a completely friendly atmosphere.  As to my Florida friends we point out that we do not have "early birds" or drivers that cannot even see the front of their own car.

Hank

I have been to these ports many times this time of year.  And I have been checking as we sail on the 4th.

I expect 75 in Cabo, 80 Mazatlan and 85 in PV for the highs.  Always higher humidity so feels warmer.  And yes to the Shorts and TShirts.  Exactly what you'll want to wear.  And some good walking sandals or tennis shoes.

10 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Just remember though, that on board the ship itself can be quite chilly!

Don't expect to be comfy on board with just shorts(IMO).

Per above -- Excellent Advice!

Some public areas on the ships are cold enough to hang meat!!  :classic_ohmy:

• 2 weeks later...

Be sure to bring socks that are appropriate to wear with shorts.  Some people pack only black dress socks, and walk around with black socks and shorts.  To me, that screams "cruise ship tourist" far more than long pants does.  

[Hank, I very rarely wear shorts, even in 110 degree heat in the desert.  Unless I'm in a gym or dojo, where I need to freedom of movement afforded by gym shorts.  Just a personal preference to have my legs protected by cloth.  I hate the idea that long pants brands me as a tourist!]

On 12/24/2019 at 9:33 AM, chanc said:

Thank you everyone ! Yes, we are definitely bringing some warmer wear for the ship itself.  Appreciate everyone's advice. We are so excited ! 🙂

Just curious on how your trip went, weather wise! 🙂 We going late December and I forgot to look at the forecast then... just for an idea. hahaha

On 1/8/2020 at 1:01 PM, Katwoman007 said:

Just curious on how your trip went, weather wise! 🙂 We going late December and I forgot to look at the forecast then... just for an idea. hahaha

I was there ON Christmas Day and it was hot! Temps in the low 80's but humidity made it feel hotter. Tank top, shorts, and Teva sandals for me! And a sweater for the air-conditioned bus we used on our excursion 😉 Interestingly, the sea day after PV had warm temps too, but it was windy and felt a lot colder than it actually was. Pack layers and an extra pair of long pants 😉 

8 minutes ago, heckledtrio said:

I was there ON Christmas Day and it was hot! Temps in the low 80's but humidity made it feel hotter. Tank top, shorts, and Teva sandals for me! And a sweater for the air-conditioned bus we used on our excursion 😉 Interestingly, the sea day after PV had warm temps too, but it was windy and felt a lot colder than it actually was. Pack layers and an extra pair of long pants 😉 

Thanks!! Works for me!! We leave the day after Christmas... hehe. When we went for Thanksgiving it was cool till Cabo, then was warm till the last day coming back to LA. But it was a warmer Thanksgiving that year. haha 

4 minutes ago, Katwoman007 said:

Thanks!! Works for me!! We leave the day after Christmas... hehe. When we went for Thanksgiving it was cool till Cabo, then was warm till the last day coming back to LA. But it was a warmer Thanksgiving that year. haha 

Yup, that's how it was for us, too. And apparently we left behind a cold and rainy Christmas in So Cal, so I guess it's no wonder our return trip was cooler than expected! 

p.s. I see you're going on the Royal Princess this year. We were on the Carnival Panorama, but shared the same itinerary with Royal and with HAL's Oosterdam. So funny to see the same two ships at each port! 

3 minutes ago, heckledtrio said:

Yup, that's how it was for us, too. And apparently we left behind a cold and rainy Christmas in So Cal, so I guess it's no wonder our return trip was cooler than expected! 

p.s. I see you're going on the Royal Princess this year. We were on the Carnival Panorama, but shared the same itinerary with Royal and with HAL's Oosterdam. So funny to see the same two ships at each port! 

We were supposed to be on Bliss with our 3 kids in March, but after our Alaska trip, we decided that we were not ready for the 3 kids bickering in a small room... so we canceled. Booked one for us 😉 and have been doing fun things like Sea World and Great Wolf Lodge with the kids instead. 5,7,12.... they could not handle 3 nights in the same hotel room 😛 Maybe when they get a little older we will bring them to sea with us. 

Yeah, it was crazy here. We went up to Fresno over Christmas and had to do an 11 hour detour due to the 5 being shut down. That was a nightmare. And all I was thinking was.. this time next year.. we are at sea 😛 I believe we will share the same ports with the Panorama. I think we miss Norwegian's boat by a day. 

5 minutes ago, Katwoman007 said:

We were supposed to be on Bliss with our 3 kids in March, but after our Alaska trip, we decided that we were not ready for the 3 kids bickering in a small room... so we canceled. Booked one for us 😉 and have been doing fun things like Sea World and Great Wolf Lodge with the kids instead. 5,7,12.... they could not handle 3 nights in the same hotel room 😛 Maybe when they get a little older we will bring them to sea with us. 

Yeah, it was crazy here. We went up to Fresno over Christmas and had to do an 11 hour detour due to the 5 being shut down. That was a nightmare. And all I was thinking was.. this time next year.. we are at sea 😛 I believe we will share the same ports with the Panorama. I think we miss Norwegian's boat by a day. 

Oh my gosh, I'd heard about the closure and the ensuing clogging it caused around our neck of the woods (we live in Santa Barbara, so Hwy 101 is our only artery). Was so glad to be on a sunny pool deck instead 😉 

One of the things I love most about cruises-- kids clubs for all ages so they can have fun, too! Esp at the tween/teen age groups. My son was 12 when we began cruising, and I swear I never saw that kid except for dinner. Some nights he stayed out later than us! This latest cruise was his first time in the teen club (he's 15 now) and it was the same story. Waiting till they're older definitely makes sense! 

12 minutes ago, heckledtrio said:

Oh my gosh, I'd heard about the closure and the ensuing clogging it caused around our neck of the woods (we live in Santa Barbara, so Hwy 101 is our only artery). Was so glad to be on a sunny pool deck instead 😉 

One of the things I love most about cruises-- kids clubs for all ages so they can have fun, too! Esp at the tween/teen age groups. My son was 12 when we began cruising, and I swear I never saw that kid except for dinner. Some nights he stayed out later than us! This latest cruise was his first time in the teen club (he's 15 now) and it was the same story. Waiting till they're older definitely makes sense! 

Oh gosh, Poor Santa Barbara. We spent about 2 hours there alone sitting on the freeway. The poor kids were starving and we had to take a 10 minute detour off the freeway to go a mile to find food. I felt bad for the residents that had all their streets lined up with cars. 

My son will be 13 this month and I will say he was not thrilled when we originally brought up cruising with them and how he was at an age where he was not needing a "babysitter" per his words. We want a relaxing vacation and sibling bickering is not it. hahahahahahaha Plus our 2 younger are on the smaller side and I would honestly feel more comfortable being a little taller, at least how Princess is set up, although we would have been on Bliss. I know they would have had fun, but for the expense and our sanity, maybe in a few years or when we can have connecting cabins without worrying about them. 😉  

On 1/8/2020 at 1:01 PM, Katwoman007 said:

It was cooler than I had expected.  Cabo was still comfortably t-shirt and shorts weather.  Mazatlan was shorts but we had to put on light jackets as it was quite cool.   Puerto Vallarta would have been t-shirt and shorts but it rained heavily the whole day and all we did was to get drenched and we headed back to the ship.  But PV was definitely on the warmer and muggier side of the three ports.   Evenings were very comfortable. 

• Like 1