How early of a flight is to early

mbrott

You should be fine. We just flew home last wek on an 11:35 a.m. flight from FLL. We met in our departure lounge at 7:10 and didn't even have time to sit down before the called us to disembark. The customs lines were very short and moved very quickly. We cleared customs and were at the ariport by about 8:30 a.m., and that was taking a Princess transfer (where we had to sit on the bus for awhile while everyone else boarded).  

13 hours ago, mbrott said:

We are on the Caribbean princess March 10th.   They have us on an 11:30 flight out of FLL.

Is that enough time to clear customs?

Thanks

Yes, that is easily doable.  We usually book flights between 8:45-10:30 when we can.  We were off the Sky yesterday, had an 11:30 flight, still left the ship at about 8am, and at the airport by 8:30.  You could hang out on the ship till 9am or so for an 11:30 flight.

FLL is a 15 minute or less cab ride from the port.  Princess will schedule for a time to leave the ship in plenty of time to make your flight but if you feel there is not enough time you can ask to be put in an earlier group to leave the ship or do self walkoff with your luggage.  

On 12/29/2019 at 5:27 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

One of the few ports that accepts Global Entry and Passport App.  

Yes, this is good information.

I would note, however, that there are no Global Entry kiosks, at least in Terminal 2 in Port Everglades. Passengers using Global Entry and Mobile Passport are both sent to a dedicated single line, separate from the rest of the customs lines, but to still have to speak with a customs officer.

Also, a shore-based Princess rep in the terminal was telling everyone headed to the GE line that they needed to have their Global Entry card or they couldn't use the GE line. I questioned him about this because, when we did our GE interview, we were both told we would never need to show our GE cards. But the rep at Port Everglades said that, because they don't have the GE kiosks, you need to show your card and, indeed, the customs officer did ask to see it (fortunately, we keep ours with our passports).

That said, although we do have Global Entry now, we used the free Mobile Passport app for a number of years and it worked just as well for purposes of reentry from a cruise.  I highly recommend it.

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Yeah the last few times disembarking in PE #2 the Mobile Passport App was worthless.

I'm sorry to hear that. This recent trip, there were only 2 other couples ahead of us in the GE/MP line, one of whom was using MP and the couple behind us was also using MP. I don't think it even took us 5 minutes to get through customs, and the same was essentially true of the MP couples ahead of and behind us.  Granted, we got off pretty early this time, as we had an early flight. There are undoubtedly a lot of factors at play.