How's the gluten free dining?

Peckishpixie

1 hour ago, vkmtlqc said:

On Island Princess right now. MDR does a good job with GF dining - most dishes can be modified, some are already GF. Only one GF desert available if not counting icecream.

The buffet is a problem. GF dishes are labeled but labeling is inconsistent. Front line employees do not know which dishes are GF and have to go ask the cooks (which takes time). GF and non-GF dishes are side-by-side so the risk of cross-contamination is very high. 

Day-long shore excursions that include lunch are a major problem. Food prep is handled by the tour operators and nobody seems to know what gluten is or they just don't speak English and cannot tell you what the ingredients are. We are not supposed to take any food off the ship with us but there's just no other choice. 

Overall, Princess does a better job than most other cruise lines but there's still a lot of room for improvement. My recommendation would be to eat exclusively at the MDR and to avoid longer excursions. 

Thanks very much for your comments, I will be extra careful. Will there be gf bread? And is there any likelihood of gf and df desserts?

10 minutes ago, ozscotart said:

Thanks very much for your comments, I will be extra careful. Will there be gf bread? And is there any likelihood of gf and df desserts?

Yes. This is why it is important to notify Princess through your booking of your dietary need.

For some of my family members over the last few cruises we entered the information in the Personalizer online and once onboard the Head Waiter was advised and was aware of the requests ahead of time.

They had GF bread/rolls/desserts etc available at dinner.

31 minutes ago, ozscotart said:

Just one kind of white GF bread. Tastes ok when toasted. The buffet staff are using a dedicated toaster for it and they always change their gloves before handling the bread. They also have GF English muffins for breakfast but I haven't tried those.

There's always one GF desert in both the MDR and the buffet, on some nights they've had 2 different GF deserts. Usually creme brulee or some kind of mousse, occasionally a GF flour cake. Room service has GF cookies. Not sure about DF dishes as it doesn't apply to me.

5 hours ago, vkmtlqc said:

Just one kind of white GF bread. Tastes ok when toasted. The buffet staff are using a dedicated toaster for it and they always change their gloves before handling the bread. They also have GF English muffins for breakfast but I haven't tried those.

There's always one GF desert in both the MDR and the buffet, on some nights they've had 2 different GF deserts. Usually creme brulee or some kind of mousse, occasionally a GF flour cake. Room service has GF cookies. Not sure about DF dishes as it doesn't apply to me.

There is always multiple gluten free deserts in the buffet. For example there is jello in the pastry serving section of the buffet. Quite often it is a fridge below the counter and you need to ask for it. There is also lots of different fruit available for deserts. There is always sorbet in the MDR. Sorbet is gluten free and dairy free.

12 hours ago, ozscotart said:

Thanks for getting back to me, what’s your experience with ordering gf and dairy free food ? Is there bread (and is it edible?)  or should I bring my own? Is it the same person for each meal? On the Diamond Princess there is no anytime dining, at least on our cruise, but I am not sure whether it would be the same person for each meal, including lunch? 

You should log into the Princess web site and go to the Cruise Personalizer. There is a place there to enter dietary restrictions. Several days after you enter that information you will receive an email confirming your dietary restrictions.

5 hours ago, brisalta said:

You should log into the Princess web site and go to the Cruise Personalizer. There is a place there to enter dietary restrictions. Several days after you enter that information you will receive an email confirming your dietary restrictions.

Yes, I did this when I booked the cruise, I am more interested in what gf and df food is available onboard and how knowledgeable and helpful are the main waiters, and whether there is a special diets waiter etc. Sounds like I will need to bring any desserts, biscuits etc onboard myself, not an unusual situation in mainstream cruise lines, and also be extra careful about ordering and service. My prior experience is that most or all waiters are completely unaware of what details are in your booking (they are there to help the cruise line in stocking gf and df products, though again they often run out of bread and soy milk on cruises over 7 days.) and also that they know very little about gluten, let alone anything about lactose, for this reason I usually go dairy free on cruises.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

One thing I really liked about Celebrity was their labeling at the buffet. Made it really easy to tell what dishes were safe for DW to eat.  Wish more places did this.  D5F6CA19-3225-40CC-B16E-FFEECED156D0.thumb.jpeg.02c2c9e1d67e8c56d521321e0c5b974c.jpeg

That looks really good, will keep in mind for our next cruise, thank you!

11 hours ago, vkmtlqc said:

Thanks for that, reassuring about bread and having a separate toaster sounds like they do know what they are doing. I have never found gf English muffins to be particularly edible, white toast is usually fine though (except that cruise where they ran out of gf bread and the chef made his own inedible bread). I haven’t found any evidence that I will get any desserts on Princess other than the dreaded ‘fruit plate or sorbet’ so will follow my usual practice of taking some snacks and chocolate with me (df). On one NCL I had  soy creme brûlée a couple of times (very nice)  on another I had a special dessert in their upmarket specialty restaurant once, on another cruise I had gone through my usual of rejecting all offers of fruit plate and mentioned cake to them, I then had to eat the worst tasting chocolate cake for the rest of the cruise! I like to find out ahead of time what the options might be now. 

32 minutes ago, ozscotart said:

. I haven’t found any evidence that I will get any desserts on Princess other than the dreaded ‘fruit plate or sorbet’ so will follow my usual practice of taking some snacks and chocolate with me (df). On one NCL I had  soy creme brûlée a couple of times (very nice)  on another I had a special dessert in their upmarket specialty restaurant once, on another cruise I had gone through my usual of rejecting all offers of fruit plate and mentioned cake to them, I then had to eat the worst tasting chocolate cake for the rest of the cruise! I like to find out ahead of time what the options might be now. 

I hear what you are saying. I've found it does depend on your headwaters knowledge of special diets and willingness/creativity.

I need to be GF/DF soy free and plant based. The best HW has said he would put in a standing order of a dessert for me. (Trying to remember if I have pictures of those) Then each night there was a very nice dessert. (First night is typically a larger fancy dish with sorbet and berries to make it look nicer)

I've had another head waiter request different fruit crips. But that was before I was GF today I'd have to verify the oats are GF. One night and entire Apple Pie was brought out to be shared with the table in addition to their desserts because they wanted to make sure it got eaten and had been made specifically for me.

Another HW was so exasperated by my allergy list he went as far as to tell me that "most people are either GF or vegan and not both" so he couldn't think of what my options could be even when I told him what worked on previous cruises. (Learned to enjoy GF spaghetti and sorbet on that cruise.) Thankfully by the end and continued questions/suggestions that HW learned more about what could be done. When he finally went to talk to the pastry chef he found there were premade GF/DF desserts ready for special requests. A nice dessert the last night. 🙂

Having snacks at the ready, especially for ports is always a safe bet. Best case you won't need them until the flight/drive home.

24 minutes ago, SJSchell said:

I hear what you are saying. I've found it does depend on your headwaters knowledge of special diets and willingness/creativity.

I need to be GF/DF soy free and plant based. The best HW has said he would put in a standing order of a dessert for me. (Trying to remember if I have pictures of those) Then each night there was a very nice dessert. (First night is typically a larger fancy dish with sorbet and berries to make it look nicer)

I've had another head waiter request different fruit crips. But that was before I was GF today I'd have to verify the oats are GF. One night and entire Apple Pie was brought out to be shared with the table in addition to their desserts because they wanted to make sure it got eaten and had been made specifically for me.

Another HW was so exasperated by my allergy list he went as far as to tell me that "most people are either GF or vegan and not both" so he couldn't think of what my options could be even when I told him what worked on previous cruises. (Learned to enjoy GF spaghetti and sorbet on that cruise.) Thankfully by the end and continued questions/suggestions that HW learned more about what could be done. When he finally went to talk to the pastry chef he found there were premade GF/DF desserts ready for special requests. A nice dessert the last night. 🙂

Having snacks at the ready, especially for ports is always a safe bet. Best case you won't need them until the flight/drive home.

Thanks very much for your reply, it is very helpful, though not encouraging. I do feel for you being gf and vegan is very hard, things have improved here in the U.K. where quite a lot of the vegan food in supermarkets is also gf, which does mean I can get desserts (yay!) but it is harder out in restaurant land where there is often only one gf and df option and no dessert, and not necessarily vegan. I will bring lots of food with me, luckily I have been able to reintroduce gf oats from a local very reliable company, Nairns who now make a range of excellent oat bars and biscuits. Your experience with HW who was exasperated is what I fear, I had a disastrous cruise on HAL with similar problems, I had been complacent as I had previously been on Norwegian and had no issues, and had terrible problems on  HAL with getting enough to eat. I think this is the advantage of getting designated special diets waiters who do seem both knowledgeable and careful, though again whether you get interesting food is down to their persistence with the chefs. On one NCL cruise there was a lady in my special diets group who was kosher vegan, the lovely special diets waiter on that cruise brought all her meals to her including in the buffet because of the level of difficulty. In my case I would usually go wing it for breakfast (I eat only eggs and toast usually, stuff I can identify) and prebook dinner, it is lunch where the problem usually lies, and also getting soy milk (again I prefer soy because I can identify it). I will be extra vigilant. 

4 hours ago, ozscotart said:

it is lunch where the problem usually lies, and also getting soy milk (again I prefer soy because I can identify it). I will be extra vigilant. 

The good head waiters will bring you the lunch menu the night before and allow you to pre order then all you do is give your name and room number once seated. If you don't get it ask. They do reiterate that you need to show up. Guess many people were placing special orders and then going elsewhere.

Ive had the regular waiter and mostly assistant waiters get to know my needs and watch out as well. Jumping in at lunch and stopping a bread basket in the dinning room or checking in with me during breakfast in the buffet. 

They really do their best and want to keep you safe.

2 hours ago, SJSchell said:

The good head waiters will bring you the lunch menu the night before and allow you to pre order then all you do is give your name and room number once seated. If you don't get it ask. They do reiterate that you need to show up. Guess many people were placing special orders and then going elsewhere.

Ive had the regular waiter and mostly assistant waiters get to know my needs and watch out as well. Jumping in at lunch and stopping a bread basket in the dinning room or checking in with me during breakfast in the buffet. 

They really do their best and want to keep you safe.

Thank you for your advice, very helpful, I will order lunch ahead where I can. 

10 hours ago, SJSchell said:

Oats are gluten free. It is basic plant biochemistry.

8 minutes ago, brisalta said:

no, only gluten free oats are gluten free, the vast majority of oats are grown and processed in fields and factories that handle wheat, and by their very nature, soft and porous have a considerable degree of cross contamination. Gluten free oats are grown in wheat free fields that have not previously grown wheat and are processed in factories that do not handle wheat. A reliable brand is a local one in Scotland, Nairns, where oats are grown and processed safely. 
It is due to this sort of mistaken belief that coeliacs have to be extra careful when eating out, I avoid oats except where the labelling is clear and from a reliable manufacturer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, brisalta said:

I'm not going to argue with you. I simply know for me and my family the sensitivity is high for cross contamination in processing facilities. As well as crop rotation in the fields with wheat.  Hence the need for "gluten free" labeling on oats.

If you don't have the same level of sensitivity then you don't need to worry.

Would somebody please tell me how I can save this board to my favourites?  I have celiac disease and have read what is on this forum but would like to keep up to date with it.  We are going on Caribbean Princess in April.  I have filled out the cruise personalizer and received a reply from Princess.  This may be our last cruise with Princess though.  On previous ones I have found limited GF options in the International Cafe and the MDR.  The buffet I worry about cc.  We are going with friends who only cruise Princess.  I think we will try Celebrity next.

I have a  tomato allergy  and  they  have  always been able  to accomodate  me.  It  is  much  easier  to use  traditional dining  when you have  food  allergies, although it can be  done  with anytime,  ( just  a little more challenging)  Our  head waiter  on the crown   came  and  found us in the steak   house  on "italian night "  to take my order  for the next night.    I  was  quite  excited  to learn that  the  french onion soup  that  Princess makes is NOT polluted  with tomato paste ( so much beef  broth  contains it),

Princess is  VERY good about taking  care of its  passengers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Song in my heart said:

Would somebody please tell me how I can save this board to my favourites?  I have celiac disease and have read what is on this forum but would like to keep up to date with it.  We are going on Caribbean Princess in April.  I have filled out the cruise personalizer and received a reply from Princess.  This may be our last cruise with Princess though.  On previous ones I have found limited GF options in the International Cafe and the MDR.  The buffet I worry about cc.  We are going with friends who only cruise Princess.  I think we will try Celebrity next.

at the top of this thread there is a "follow" box … click on it and you will receive a 'notification' whenever there is a new post to this topic 

I believe there are options to how you receive those notifications … maybe someone else can help with that part

My dad called and spoke with Princess yesterday about other questions related to cabins in our group and while he had the supervisor on the phone he brought up this topic. 

She told him that the personalizer and the auto email you get back doesn't always go through and you should not depend on it. Best practices is to email them at 

Dietaryrequest@princess.com

At least 35 days in advance that is when they count the number of passengers impacted per sailing and plan menus. Especially if you need something customized for the first night.

I found this interesting since I had always depended on the information being submitted through the personalizer. Will e mail this time and see how it goes. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, abqmommyof4 said:

Our  head waiter  on the crown   came  and  found us in the steak   house  on "italian night "  to take my order  for the next night. 

Princess is  VERY good about taking  care of its  passengers

Awesome! You had one of the great head waiters. 

On 1/14/2020 at 8:43 AM, voljeep said:

at the top of this thread there is a "follow" box … click on it and you will receive a 'notification' whenever there is a new post to this topic 

I believe there are options to how you receive those notifications … maybe someone else can help with that part

I am on a tablet and do not see a "follow" box but I did ask for notification of replies so maybe that will do the same thing.  Thank you.

I have been on two Celebrity cruises.  After the last one I won’t cruise with them again.  I eat gluten and dairy free along with a few other things because my Naturopath said to avoid them.  Shortly after following his recommendations I noticed I was no longer allergic to smoke.  I used to have asthma attacks from even the smallest amount of smoke getting in my lungs.

I was given milk for my cereal instead of soy milk.  Dinner they asked every night what my allergies were and I was given a dessert almost every night that contained dairy unbeknownst to me.  I only found out afterwords when I asked to see if I could get the recipe because it was so good.  Luckily I did not end up with any asthma attacks.  This was only part of the problem that we had with celebrity but one of the main reasons why I will not sail with them again.

I just hope there’s another choice besides almond milk for my coffee.  I find almond milk in coffee makes it taste burnt.  

On 1/7/2020 at 12:55 AM, ozscotart said:

Yes, I did this when I booked the cruise, I am more interested in what gf and df food is available onboard and how knowledgeable and helpful are the main waiters, and whether there is a special diets waiter etc. Sounds like I will need to bring any desserts, biscuits etc onboard myself, not an unusual situation in mainstream cruise lines, and also be extra careful about ordering and service. My prior experience is that most or all waiters are completely unaware of what details are in your booking (they are there to help the cruise line in stocking gf and df products, though again they often run out of bread and soy milk on cruises over 7 days.) and also that they know very little about gluten, let alone anything about lactose, for this reason I usually go dairy free on cruises.  

I am DF due to allergies.  Princess takes excellent care of me. In the MDR they show me the next nights menu and I place my order At that time. My food is cooked dairy free. In the buffet ask for the main chef and he will walk through the buffet with you and tell you what is safe for you to eat. 

5428467F-3669-446A-AE3C-6199ADDDD1CC.jpeg

F02CA7CA-62F6-4043-8AC3-988B155FE003.jpeg

511B5E06-BE66-4777-8577-326DF1332EF3.jpeg

433DC7D7-05BE-41B4-8545-ED9546880138.jpeg

56760341-87DF-404C-ACFC-D82F666AB987.jpeg

2F8E147E-9407-4CBD-AB95-3AA679F6702D.jpeg

21DAB13E-9DCA-4CEA-A801-C40AAB2B386A.jpeg

BB784329-8686-412C-9EF8-79D8506EE394.jpeg

3F363AC6-DCE0-42EA-8EC4-8EA84F71055A.jpeg

93D690B0-49EA-4512-ABBA-6C2DE06A4941.jpeg