Wheelchair/Mobility Issues

Spanieleyes

We have cruised with several other companies in the past, and this year we will be going on our first cruise with HAL to the Norwegian Fjords, leaving from Amsterdam.  My in-laws will be coming with us and my father-in-law has recently started having some mobility issues, so we will organise airport assistance.  However, we just wondered if anyone knows if HAL offer a service of hiring a wheelchair or mobility scooter whilst onboard ship, should it become necessary. Many thanks.    

My DH is mobility challenged so have sailed many times  with assistance. You can let HAL know that you will need to have your father-in-law wheel-chaired on and off. HAL does not provide any other assistance devices. We rent a scooter and walker (if needed) through Scootaround. I have them delivered to the ship and they are waiting in the cabin. We do get handicapped cabins every time we sail. 
Karen

There are two companies that HAL allows to bring mobility equipment to the ship: Special Needs at Sea, and Scootaround
You can Google them to get the site info, then contact them to see which has the better price for what you are looking for. The equipment will be delivered to the cabin, then left there at the end of the cruise, so it can be picked up. Nothing can be easier. 
You can also contact HAL for wheelchair assistance boarding/disembarking. 

Do know, however, that the equipment can't be left in the corridor, and must be stored in the cabin. So, there has to be room to accommodate the equipment, and still move around. There are some non-handicap cabins that will have room for a scooter, but not too many (depending on the ship). Wheelchairs and rollators can be collapsed, so they can be brought into most any cabin. 
An accessible cabin might be hard to get at this point. 
Remember, too, that a wheelchair will need someone to push it, and with the carpeting, that can get tiresome. 

This is a gorgeous area you are going to, and a nice one for someone who can get a lot of enjoyment without even leaving the ship! 

• Like 1

After reviewing the costs for rental I, instead, purchased my mother  a sturdy, yet inexpensive lightweight wheelchair.   The chair was recommended to me by a man who rents wheelchairs at a large a Texas outdoor fairgrounds.  It cost only USD $125 and weighed less than 20 pounds.  We let the airlines know we were carrying it and they took care of everything.  

• Like 1

Wanted to mention that we did some ports in Norway in 2016, and one of the restrooms was only accessible via steps.

Not sure how you'll get your father-in-law on board the ship.  When I needed a wheelchair to board, one of the greeters pushed me right up the gangplank and up to my room.  I had requested wheelchair boarding on one of the special needs forms via HAL.

We were also on Voyage of the Vikings in Halifax and saw a crew member leading a man over the gang plank.  His wife drove the scooter over the gang plank, and the crew helped the man across.  It was really weird, because once across, the wife vacated the scooter, and her DH returned to the scooter.

Crew are very good about driving the scooters out of the way in the MDR and returning then to the table when the passenger wants to leave.

4 hours ago, Spanieleyes said:

We have cruised with several other companies in the past, and this year we will be going on our first cruise with HAL to the Norwegian Fjords, leaving from Amsterdam.  My in-laws will be coming with us and my father-in-law has recently started having some mobility issues, so we will organise airport assistance.  However, we just wondered if anyone knows if HAL offer a service of hiring a wheelchair or mobility scooter whilst onboard ship, should it become necessary. Many thanks.    

You say "should it become necessary."  Be aware that you can't make that decision onboard. HAL doesn't have any scooters or wheelchairs for rent on the ship. You have to figure out what he will need and make arrangements in advance. 

Ruth brings up good points about using a scooter. If you think that's likely to be needed, check on the size of their cabin to make sure the scooter will fit. 

HAL does not provide a wheelchair nor a scooter. My wife had to use a wheelchair when waiting for a hip replacement. We rented one at home. HAL stewards and personal will assist you with embarking and disembarking. One note though. In a tender port, the person in question must be able to negotiate about 12 steps to get to the tenderplatform. In that case HAL will get the wheelchair on and off the tender.

5 hours ago, jakkojakko said:

One note though. In a tender port, the person in question must be able to negotiate about 12 steps to get to the tenderplatform.

That totally depends on the ship. The Vista and Signature class ships have an elevator that drops to the tender boarding level. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RuthC said:

That totally depends on the ship. The Vista and Signature class ships have an elevator that drops to the tender boarding level. 

If you say so Ruth, I believe you 100 percent. On our voyage though on the Rotterdam there were steps, so I guess the bigger ships we we haven't been on yet have elevators. Good!

It's a great cruise with a lot of scenery seen right from the ship. It's a good idea to bring the wheelchair and even better if your father-in-law is able to walk short distances.

I did this cruise with a  different line and had to switch my excursions to 'panorama' tours due to an unforeseen knee injury. Bus steps were no problem and I could walk short distances from the parking lots to the view points. Sometimes, the distance from the ship to the busses was a bit too long (I wish I had had a wheelchair) and there were unforeseen steps in odd places. Our ship had no tender ports.

Good luck and enjoy!

A huge thank you for everyone's advice as each post was extremely helpful, and covered things I hadn't even thought of.  We have decided to buy a lightweight wheelchair to take with us, and organise airport assistance.  At least that way, we are covered for the days that he is not mobile and they can both thoroughly enjoy their first cruise.  Thank you again.

8 minutes ago, Spanieleyes said:

A huge thank you for everyone's advice as each post was extremely helpful, and covered things I hadn't even thought of.  We have decided to buy a lightweight wheelchair to take with us, and organise airport assistance.  At least that way, we are covered for the days that he is not mobile and they can both thoroughly enjoy their first cruise.  Thank you again.

Be sure not to get a “transport wheelchair” those are meant for inside use.  Get one where the back wheels are larger than the front.  Here is the one we ordered

Wheelchair

We cruised around the British Isles in the summer of 2018 with our son with mobility issues. We had sailed to Alaska the summer before and had arranged for a walker to be delivered to the room on board.  When checking for the same with a departure from Amsterdam, I did find providers, but cost was amazingly high.  We also chose to bring equipment with us. Found a new light walker that was very compact when folded and it presented no problems on our flights.  This summer will be sailing with him on HA again, this time to the Baltic ports and will be taking that walker again. 

Wheelchairs: Holland America Line has a limited supply of 
wheelchairs on board. In order to accommodate our guests, 
wheelchairs are reserved exclusively for embarkation and 
disembarkation assistance in the pier facility and in emergency 
situations. Holland America Line is not able to provide complimentary 
wheelchair assistance other than for the purposes listed above. If you 
require the regular use of a wheelchair, we recommend that you bring 
your own wheelchair with you. You may also make advance rental 
arrangements prior to departure and have a wheelchair delivered 
directly to the ship. For additional details on the prearranged rental 
program, please refer to the contact information below for Special 
Needs at Sea or ScootAround. 
Embarkation/Disembarkation — Wheelchair Assistance: Guests 
requiring assistance with embarkation and disembarkation procedures 
on board do not need to request this assistance in advance; however, 
due to high demand in some ports, there can be a wait for assistance. 
For embarkation procedures, please advise the Shore Operations staff 
upon arrival of your need for assistance boarding the ship. Assistance is 
only available once embarkation has begun, typically not before 11:30 a.m. 
For disembarkation procedures, please contact Guest Services once on 
board to advise them of your need for assistance. Guest Services staff will 
provide you with details on the times and meeting location where staff will 
be available to assist you in disembarking the ship.