Mediterranean

CaribbeanCrushed

51 minutes ago, cloud_nine said:

just because you're used to one thing and would be miserable in Greece in August, doesn't mean we all are.

Did anyone say that you would? The discussion arose from Darren's question "Who complains about glorious weather ( summer in the Med)? And my response that not everyone can tolerate the heat. Which is not the same thing as disliking it, or claiming that it's all of nothing. Some people love/like the heat. Some people dislike/can't tolerate the heat. Simple as that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mom says said:

Did anyone say that you would? The discussion arose from Darren's question "Who complains about glorious weather ( summer in the Med)? And my response that not everyone can tolerate the heat. Which is not the same thing as disliking it, or claiming that it's all of nothing. Some people love/like the heat. Some people dislike/can't tolerate the heat. Simple as that.

I was replying to the post that stated: "There's no way that's not going to be a miserable experience in Greece or southern Turkey in August." It was not in response to any of your posts mom says. 

56 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well, I guess those 400 additional people who died every day in the UK during the heat wave were just spoilt. Thanks for clarifying that.

Okay, I'll bite. Did you know that more people on average die in the UK winter months than those during summer heatwaves? Yes, you do get the more vulnerable in the population (the very young, the elderly and the ones with pre-existing medical conditions) suffering from the heatwaves, but generally speaking the rest of the population tends to take it in stride with just a bit of moaning (but the Brits moan about all weather's so don't take that too seriously either). I'm not sure what point you were trying to prove by putting words in my mouth, but I'll just say this and then I'm done, because I'm not going to continue arguing with you. In my post, I said that not everyone was like you. Meaning that there are those of you that can't tolerate the heat and those that can. Nowhere in my post did I mention the more vulnerable of the population here in Britain that made up the bulk of those deaths you mentioned. Nor did I mention that what I was stating was hard fact, just my opinion that people who had A/C all the time tended to be the ones who complained about the heat more. That is what I have seen and heard from people from the US holidaying in the Med (there are lots of reviews by people from the States etc complaining about no A/C in hotels, being too hot or whatever). I mean just look on here - the ones saying they actually like the heat in the summer in the Med are Brits and those that are die hard haters of the Med heat are from your side of the pond. Again, these are just my opinions and observations, I'm sure there are also Brits who don't like the heat as much too. As for the spoilt part, which you obviously took offence to, considering you have been to the UK and therefore know so much about it, you must realise that in Wales, we often use the word spoilt in a friendly manner (if someone has something we don't for example and we'd love to have it, we say "aw you're spoilt you are!") It was not meant to be offensive, though your response certainly was meant to be, I'm sure. I guess what I just meant was that in general, those who have air-con 24/7 tend to take it for granted somewhat and as they are generally always cool and don't really know or remember what it's like not to have it so aren't acclimatised to the hot weather as much and therefore feel hotter than someone who has never had air-conditioned houses or workplaces and has to sweat it out in the heat. That is all. Vulnerable people of course feel the heat more and struggle more with it - and I never said that they didn't. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DarrenM said:

who on earth complains about glorious weather?

Pretty much everybody that travels to Europe during the summer months. Every post on social media from people posting their travel photos usually begins with something like “the heat was brutal and there were so many tourists, but....”

• Like 1

Like someone posted earlier we brits complain about the weather no matter what it is. Its our right as brits.

Too hot too cold too mild too cool. Too much rain not enough rain. I love snow then hate it 5 minutes later.