Cancellation fee question

puppyluv1

Before I call my TA I thought I would run my questions past the cruise critic experts.  

My understanding of the cancellation policy is that if you cancel a cruise and book another cruise within a year, the cancellation fee is credited towards your new cruise. First question, is my understanding correct?

We had to cancel our 12 night Mediterranean cruise for a shorter (boo hoo) 7 night Mexican Riviera cruise.  Our TA cancelled and rebooked on the same call with Regent, so the deposit was transferred rather than reimbursed and a new deposit paid. He quoted me a reduced fare instead of onboard credit for the new cruise. Second question, how does Regent apply the credit - as a reduction to the fare or an increase to the deposit?  

Really appreciate any help!

Thank you for the link. We are in the U.S. and the cancelled cruise is in Oct (we cancelled 9 months prior to sailing). The penalty was $100 per person and according to the Ts&Cs this would be creditable towards a future cruise (which we booked right away).  That answers question #1 - thank you. 

If anyone has experience on how the credit is applied to the new cruise (fare reduction or increased deposit) I would greatly appreciate the input.  

in our case the 100 pp was treated as an additional payment against the final payment. That could be because it took a few emails back and forth with Regent for them to find the 100 pp credit as there were many months between canceling one cruise and booking a new one so the deposit had already been paid and the total cost established.   Our incoice showed the total cost less the deposit less the 100 pp. 

I’ve booked a number of placeholder cruises. In the past, when I canceled the placeholder cruise and immediately booked a substitute cruise, the deposit was transferred minus the $100 per person administrative fee and a $200 future cruise credit was applied to the new booking as shown on the invoice. The future cruise credit reduced the fare on the new booking. Lately, Regent has apparently waived the administrative fee and simply transferred the entire deposit to the new booking when canceling and immediately re-booking. Under either approach, the result is the same. So, if your entire deposit was transferred from the canceled booking, the administrative fee has already been taken care of and you are good to go. Lower airfare on a domestic itinerary and the reduction from 12 nights to seven nights accounts for the fare reduction.

Dave

I think one difference would be that when you buy trip insurance and want them to waive the exclusion of pre-existing conditions, you have to insure the full cost of the trip.  Any portion "paid" with Future Cruise Credits may not be included in the total cost, but if so it would have to be specified as such on the invoice.  And of course, discussed in advance with the insurance agent to make sure this is correct.

Another difference would be if the second cruise is cancelled, the amount of the Future Cruise Credit that had been applied would probably be lost, and a new administrative fee would be imposed on the remainder of the deposit, with a new Future Cruise Credit given for that amount.  Am I understanding that correctly?