Grand baby due week we are on Panorama! ? On internet packages

deecruise2

12 minutes ago, deecruise2 said:

Anyone have experience with the value internet package vs the premium package?  Would

like to be able to FaceTime or something similar!   Thanks for any suggestions!

All I can tell you is you can FaceTime with premium. 

WE have not had great experience with the internet on the ship, so I can't really comment on that, but I will say I let my daughter know not to have a baby while we are cruising.  She is cutting it close with this next one.  Due just 3 weeks before we sail.  Congrats by the way.

It's your grand baby. Now is not the time to go cheap.

14 years ago I coughed up the cellular roaming time. Back when you paid by the minute. Never regretted paying the extra money.

Now, the bar bill for that day???? Whew! That was a big one.

I apologize for hijacking your thread, but I am really confused about Carnival's internet packages and don't want to bog down the page with another thread.  Btw, congrats on the impending arrival of your grand baby! It's been a long time since I've sailed Carnival and RCCL doesn't have these tiers. We will also be on Panorama. 

If I get just the social is there any way to check email if I use an app for it or is it strictly the social apps they have listed?

If I wanted to use iMessage (or texting), which package would we need? We're all on iPhones.

Can one package be shared among multiple people as long as it's only one device logged in at a time? 

I also apologize if these questions have been asked. I haven't found the answers to exactly what I'm asking. 

4 hours ago, deecruise2 said:

Panorama is the ship we will be on 

Since the Panorama is brand new and has the most upgraded internet service like that of her sister ships, you shouldn't have a problem using FaceTime. Officially, Carnival says they don't support it, but plenty of people have reported using it. I can't remember if the Value plan is sufficient enough, but I don't think it is. If you don't get someone giving you a definitive answer on that, I'd go with Premium if I were you. On our upcoming 8-day aboard Horizon, it's only about $22 difference between Value & Premium for the whole cruise.

18 minutes ago, Mslynn79 said:

If I get just the social is there any way to check email if I use an app for it or is it strictly the social apps they have listed?

If I wanted to use iMessage (or texting), which package would we need? We're all on iPhones.

Can one package be shared among multiple people as long as it's only one device logged in at a time?

The Social plan is only for social media and some of the popular messaging apps, like the ones Carnival lists. If you wanted to check email, you'd need at least the Value plan.

Carnival says that iMessages aren't supported on the Social plan, but many people have reported that they do work. We used iMessages with the Social plan a few years ago, but usually get Value nowadays. If you want an internet plan, and want to check email, then you'll have to go with Value anyway (or Premium), so iMessages will work on those.

Correct, one plan can be shared between multiple people on one device at a time. You can either log out to let another person log in, or if another person logs in, it'll kick the first person off. You'll need to share the folio number of the person who bought the plan.

Edited by Organized Chaos

9 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Since the Panorama is brand new and has the most upgraded internet service like that of her sister ships, you shouldn't have a problem using FaceTime. Officially, Carnival says they don't support it, but plenty of people have reported using it. I can't remember if the Value plan is sufficient enough, but I don't think it is. If you don't get someone giving you a definitive answer on that, I'd go with Premium if I were you. On our upcoming 8-day aboard Horizon, it's only about $22 difference between Value & Premium for the whole cruise.

Just a thought since I don’t use any plan but could they get the value plan and try it the first night. If it did not work to their satisfaction, they could I would guess, upgrade?

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Just a thought since I don’t use any plan but could they get the value plan and try it the first night. If it did not work to their satisfaction, they could I would guess, upgrade?

Certainly. They could even start with the Social plan if they just wanted to use iMessages and do without email. Then, if by chance, iMessages don't work with Social, upgrade to Value or Premium. The downside of doing it that way is then having to pay the higher onboard price to upgrade.

2 hours ago, coevan said:

I'm not sure I would have booked a cruise with an upcoming grand baby. 

Cruise was already booked.  Baby was a surprise for them and us.  Thanks to all for the congrats!  We are super excited for our new little addition!  We will get the premium package.

By the way my son and his wife live in Washington State, we live in Iowa.  I would not be going to visit them for a week or two after the baby comes, so that they can settle in without Grandma and Grandpa hovering.  After last comment I felt like I should clarify...….

Edited by deecruise2

2 hours ago, deecruise2 said:

Cruise was already booked.  Baby was a surprise for them and us.  Thanks to all for the congrats!  We are super excited for our new little addition!  We will get the premium package.

We have 15 and missed 2 due to cruise