So they changed our itinerary....

abt

26 minutes ago, thrifty99 said:

Sorry you don’t like the point I was making. To each their own. I don’t call it an argument... I call it being human. You need to put it in perspective of the timing. While people were killed, missing, and homeless in the hurricanes that just happened, I wasn’t about to go and argue for $100 cruise credit because the port I wanted to go to was just wiped out. 

I understand, but does RCI puts it in perspective and waves $100 penalty because itinerary was changed after money were paid? It is two-way street.

And I am sorry my hint was that these arguments should not been brought into this conversation, because they are not relevant. I wouldn't expect RCI to make all ports during hurricanes or return money when we cruise during hurricane season, and I feel really sorry for people on islands. I donated money and  brought supplies several times we visited islands after various hurricanes (latest Maria), we do cruise a lot including to affected islands right after first ships were let in....

The cruiseline reserves the right to change itineraries.  I've been on a few cruises where ports were dropped or substitutions were made.  There was nothing we could do.

You can still visit Virgin Gorda from Tortola.  We did it several years ago and it's very easy.

• Like 1

Years ago, we had booked a Boston to Caribbean cruise on the then fairly new "Jewel of the Seas".  We were notified by the cruiseline a short time before sailing that the cruise would be changed to a NE/Canada itinerary.  We had booked the cruise for the unique itinerary and at that time were not interested in travelling to the Northern Ports,  so found it necessary to cancel the cruise and booked one for the same time frame with another cruiseline,  which sailed out of NY (Brooklyn).  Although disappointed, we realized Royal Carib. had the right to change the itinerary (in the contract).  We did get a full refund from RCI.  Ironically, our replacement cruise with Princess cancelled the visit to one of the ports due to high winds.  We took that in stride.  This is part of cruising and not exclusive to Royal Caribbean!

OP - I’m not sure where I read this but I think it was a similar thread about this change yesterday or two days ago.  

In that thread - I thought I read that ships were having a hard time with sea state / winds and were not able to tender to VG.  Getting so close and having to sail by would be much worse than having a planned stop at tortola that would allow you to plan a day trip there.

While this may seem like a bait and switch - I think it may actually be a good thing for you to ensure you get to VG!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Cel_cruise said:

OP - I’m not sure where I read this but I think it was a similar thread about this change yesterday or two days ago.  

In that thread - I thought I read that ships were having a hard time with sea state / winds and were not able to tender to VG.  Getting so close and having to sail by would be much worse than having a planned stop at tortola that would allow you to plan a day trip there.

While this may seem like a bait and switch - I think it may actually be a good thing for you to ensure you get to VG!

Thanks for the useful info!! That may very well be true!

For the record...I don't think ANYONE is claiming the cruise line doesn't have the right to change cruises/itineraries, of course they do. The POINT is, I booked a cruise strictly based on itinerary, period.  AND this is 9 months before the cruise, not DURING the cruise.  I paid my deposit on a product.  Now the cruise line changed the itinerary.  The product has changed..  Those that booked that changed itinerary should be allowed to cancel without penalty.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 12:54 PM, libertyelle said:

We had this issue with our upcoming Alaska cruise, which we booked based on RC's advertising for the port stop at Glacier Bay (which was a new stop for RC, so they were promoting it heavily with a one-sheet ad just for those sailings). They opted not to finalize their contract with the National Parks Service and cancelled the port stop for Glacier Bay instead. I wrote emails to everyone up the customer service chain of command asking to have the $100 per person change fee waived so we could switch to a more suitable Alaska itinerary, but they refused to do anything. I wouldn't expect any nice gestures or sympathy on their part.

We are also disappointed that after booking, we discovered our Alaska cruise will not be going to Glacier Bay.  Sounds very much like a bait and switch tactic. We're debating if losing $100pp and booking with another cruiseline going to Glacier Bay is worth it or just go with it.

Thanks for sharing your experience attempting Royal to own up to a bait and switch tactic. Wish you could have had success.

• Like 1

I can understand why you’re disappointed. I’d say the easiest way to make this better is to stick with the sailing and just book the excursion or take the ferry to Virgin Gorda. Virgin Gorda’s Devil’s Bay and the Baths are beautiful and worth it for sure. When we’ve gone there twice, there have been many cruise excursions there from Tortola. They have the process and timing down pat. Good luck!

It could have to do with the tender that recently bottomed out on a reef in Virgin Gorda.  Perhaps the harbor approach is not charted well or conducive to tenders that Empress uses or perhaps they were given an opportunity to use the pier at Tortola which yields to better chances for a successful visit compared to tendering in Virgin Gorda.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2722712-empress-of-the-seas-tortola-today-not-virgin-gorda/

https://www.cruisehive.com/royal-caribbean-ship-cancels-call-after-tenders-experience-strong-winds/36705

Let's face it, tendering sucks.  Piers do not .

So this may not be a sinister plot to trick you into booking but an attempt to ensure you have a better chance of actually visiting the BVI.

35 minutes ago, abt said:

The POINT is, I booked a cruise strictly based on itinerary, period.

Lesson learned, never do that with a cruise on any cruise line.   If you must visit a particular destination, fly there.

• Like 1