New England Weather Septemebr/October

Turk1

We've done this cruise 3 times leaving as early as late September and as late as October 7th.  As already noted weather can vary greatly.  We've been in Boston, for example, when it was in the mid 80's and a couple of years earlier when it was in the 40's.  Same goes for all the other ports.  Best bet is to look at long range forecasts a few days before you are scheduled to sail.  Or if you have the room just pack layers for any contingency.

1 hour ago, chrysalis said:

could be warm, could  be cold....might rain or it might snow...be prepared for anything.

Also, various websites give historical weather info, including temps. Check those out.

I live in Southern New Hampshire.  The above is right on target.

We've gone this time of year a few times.  For us, it was never on the warm side ... not freezing cold, either, though.  It was probably in the low 60's, give or take 10 degrees either way depending on the port.... comfortable, if not a bit on the cooler side.  It was never hot while I was there.  It can vary widely, but this has been my experience when going on a cruise up there.  

Like the others said, 40's to 80's are all possible.

Bring layers, including waterproof (or REALLY resistant) outer layer for the rain.  Check forecasts 2 days before you leave to get an idea for what to expect, but forecasts here aren't very reliable more than 48 hours out.  If they say it will be warm it likely will be warm, but timing of storms is pretty poor.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 12:22 PM, Earthworm Jim said:

Well, I'd say snow in late September/early October is very unlikely. Unless you're on the top of Mt. Washington or something.

Your snarky comment notwithstanding, I have lived in New Hampshire for almost seventy years and have experienced some severe ice and snowstorms in October.

The OP was talking about arriving in Quebec which is colder than New Hampshire.  Snow and ice unlikely, but possible.  It is a roll of the dice.  As others have said, be prepared especially if you plan on spending any time on a balcony, the promenade, or top decks.

2 hours ago, tip said:

Snow and ice unlikely, but possible.  It is a roll of the dice.  As others have said, be prepared especially if you plan on spending any time on a balcony, the promenade, or top decks.

It's funny you mentioned that ... 

I was planning a cruise for my 50th birthday, which was in September, and was deciding between a Canada / NE cruise or an ABC island cruise.  Now, we all probably know that the ABC islands are outside of the hurricane belt, but you still have to get down there.  I ended up throwing caution to the wind and chose the ABC island itinerary.  Where did the hurricane hit while we were on that cruise??  Few would have guessed it but, yes ... it hit up in the Canada / NE area!!  I think it was Igor??  Can't remember ... just recalled hearing the passengers on that ship were in miserable weather and we were just happy as calms down in Aruba.  

So, you are right ... we never can predict with 100%  certainty what the weather is going to be like!  

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 3:50 PM, tip said:

Your snarky comment notwithstanding, I have lived in New Hampshire for almost seventy years and have experienced some severe ice and snowstorms in October.

What was snarky? You were leading the OP to believe that it might snow, referencing southern New Hampshire. While it's not impossible, it's so highly unlikely that it's not something you would pack for. If the OP's cruise stops in NH they'd be at Portsmouth. Since it would be near the beginning of the cruise, it would presumably be still in September. The average amount of snow in Portsmouth for the entire month of September is 0 inches. For that matter, the average amount of snow in Portsmouth for the entire month of October is also 0 inches.

I was just trying to warn the OP not to pack for snow in coastal NH, as you seemed to be telling him or her to do, since the odds of getting snow are extremely remote. Heck, even in Quebec City the first snow isn't until late October or early November. I wasn't even impolite enough to call you out directly on it, so I don't know why you took offense.