Jump to content
  • Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

US Cruiser - Australia & New Zealand ETA - Confirming I will need this


pl281
 Share

Recommended Posts

When I searched the forum I only have posts from September 2019 and earlier and I understand that things changed (at least for New Zealand after October)

 

We are from the United States. We will be cruising round trip from Melbourne in December 2020 - We will be spending a few days before hand in Melbourne. The cruise visits a number of ports in New Zealand. We will be taking ship tours while in port.

 

I'd like to confirm if in fact we will need the ETAs for Australia and New Zealand. I believe the answer is yes, but wanted to double check. I know that some cruise lines will give this information out, however my experience is that they expect us as the travelers to know the different restrictions based on our citizenship.

 

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, pl281 said:

When I searched the forum I only have posts from September 2019 and earlier and I understand that things changed (at least for New Zealand after October)

 

We are from the United States. We will be cruising round trip from Melbourne in December 2020 - We will be spending a few days before hand in Melbourne. The cruise visits a number of ports in New Zealand. We will be taking ship tours while in port.

 

I'd like to confirm if in fact we will need the ETAs for Australia and New Zealand. I believe the answer is yes, but wanted to double check. I know that some cruise lines will give this information out, however my experience is that they expect us as the travelers to know the different restrictions based on our citizenship.

 

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Yes you will need ETAs for both Australia and New Zealand. 

These are the official governement websites - 

https://www.eta.homeaffairs.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/about-visa/nzeta

 

Enjoy your time down under.

 

Leigh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, you need the ETAs for both Australia and New Zealand just as we Canadians do.  It used to be only for Australia but New Zealand jumped on the boat and is now asking for the NeZta as of Oct 2019.  Simple to do on line directly with their government websites.  And they email you back almost immediately with your approval.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, you need visas (called ETAs) in order to enter both Australua and NZ.  You can apply online but use only the official Australian and NZ government websites.  There will be a nominal cost for each ETA and the ETAs will be electronically attached to your passport—no stamp in your passport. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eh?   I did both the Aus and NZ applications on line.   All you need is to type in the data (Your name, passport number, country of citizenship, place of issue, issue and expiry dates) and it goes easy as pie.   NZ is technically cheaper but they give you some environmental surcharge which raises the total up over what Australia charges.   Both were issued within a few minutes of me putting in my credit card number.

 

As others have pointed out, they attach them in their system to your passport number.   You can go back and "verify" this later if you want.   Both countries have ways to do this.   I just printed out the confirmation number in case there was any problem.   Haven't been to NZ before this year, but I've done Australia before.    Passport control going in was a breeze.  Coming out the line at the Sydney airport was over an hour long.


Here is the Australia site:  https://www.eta.homeaffairs.gov.au/ETAS3/etas
New Zealand:  https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz/

 

 

Edited by flyingron
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, flyingron said:

Eh?   I did both the Aus and NZ applications on line.   All you need is to type in the data (Your name, passport number, country of citizenship, place of issue, issue and expiry dates) and it goes easy as pie.   NZ is technically cheaper but they give you some environmental surcharge which raises the total up over what Australia charges.   Both were issued within a few minutes of me putting in my credit card number.

 

As others have pointed out, they attach them in their system to your passport number.   You can go back and "verify" this later if you want.   Both countries have ways to do this.   I just printed out the confirmation number in case there was any problem.   Haven't been to NZ before this year, but I've done Australia before.    Passport control going in was a breeze.  Coming out the line at the Sydney airport was over an hour long.


Here is the Australia site:  https://www.eta.homeaffairs.gov.au/ETAS3/etas
New Zealand:  https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz/

 

 

I agree I doubt you need to do it through the app, or they wouldn't have a website to apply for the NZeTA. It just means another app to add to your phone. I looked at reviews for the app, and most were not favourable.

 

 

 

 

Edited by possum52
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

I agree I doubt you need to do it through the app, or they wouldn't have a website to apply for the NZeTA. It just means another app to add to your phone. I looked at reviews for the app, and most were not favourable.

 

I just did it through the app and it worked fine.  It took a bit to scan the passports but it could have been entered manually.  I believe the application fee was cheaper with the app.  The other advantage is that the app shows the approval if ever needed.  No need to print out paper.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am more comfortable using my laptop so I applied online. No problem with the ETA visas. When I visited both countries last month, they were no issues. Obviously the airline was also able to see the attachment allowing me to board the outbound flight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, flyingron said:

Indeed, you save a whopping $3 on the $37 combined esta fee and tourism gouge if you use the app.    I have no idea why.   Does the app have ads in it or something?

Not that I recall but with the passport scan and the integrated photo, I would imagine the processing is somewhat simplified.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You may not have to show proof of either eTA, but I believe my spouse was asked to provide the cruise line an indication that the Australian eTA WAS purchased.  You might want to  keep some kind of documentation, if nothing else just on your phone, in case you're asked for it. I believe the info is attached to your passport for both countries, but I felt better taking hard copies  each confirmation that we had purchased them.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Thrak said:

How far in advance can this be done? We will need both Australia and New Zealand. We don't sail until November/December.

I don't think there's a limit time-wise. You could probably do it now. I know both systems are up and running; wouldn't think that with November cruises, it's too early.  I just waited until a few weeks pre-cruise in case something happened and I wasn't able to go.  They are not exactly cheap travel authorities in my mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An Australian ETA is valid for 12 months from the date it is granted.  A New Zealand  ETA is valid for 2 years.    So if you are sailing in Nov/Dec, you can safely apply now. 
 

Whatever you do, do not wait until the last minute to apply.  While the vast majority of applications are granted within minutes, you could be one of the unlucky ones requiring additional scrutiny.  No ETA—no boarding flight or cruise. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance - Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Cruise News
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...