Feb 3 2020 Dubai on the Jewel, why is it so cheap?

billxinli

Hello all:

I am curious why are these cruises trips so cheap? <300 Canadian dollars (<220USD) for a 7 day trip. I am almost tempted to go on these as a B2B2B

Also, when a ship get back in port a day early is one suppose to just stay on the boat by the port until the next day to depart?

Finally, do you still get CAS points if you don't show up for a trip? 

Cheers

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.10.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 11.13.13 PM.png

The 10th and 24th are cheaper.

I guess that the itinerary is not very attractive to too many people.  Then there is the issue of airfare.

You treat the ship as your hotel, and can come and go as you wish.

No sail = no points

There are issues in the Middle East.  There's even a thread here  of someone thinking of cancelling their February 3rd cruise on Jewel as a result.  

With that being said, I have friends on the ship right now and they're having a blast.  But they are also both flight attendants, so airfare isn't a factor for them like it would be for most North Americans.

1 hour ago, billxinli said:

Hello all:

I am curious why are these cruises trips so cheap? <300 Canadian dollars (<220USD) for a 7 day trip. I am almost tempted to go on these as a B2B2B

Also, when a ship get back in port a day early is one suppose to just stay on the boat by the port until the next day to depart?

Cheers

Those are the Canadian prices.  US price is $172 for Feb 3 inside or Oceanview guarantee.  Total price $712 CDN taxes in for 2 people 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

4 hours ago, billxinli said:

Hello all:

Cheers

We have done this cruise 3 times since January 2011 and prices have always been fairly cheap.

Yes, there are issues in the Middle East but it does not affect life onboard the ship or in the port stops. There are no signs anywhere of any problems or tension. Business as usual.

Sadly, the ship has pulled out of visiting Bahrain and Muscat but the reason given is simply one of precaution.

Jewel seemed to be pretty full last week with everyone having a good time. If we had more time available to be off work we would still be onboard now!

1 hour ago, icsys said:

Yes, there are issues in the Middle East but it does not affect life onboard the ship or in the port stops. There are no signs anywhere of any problems or tension. Business as usual.

Sadly, the ship has pulled out of visiting Bahrain and Muscat but the reason given is simply one of precaution.

Jewel seemed to be pretty full last week with everyone having a good time. If we had more time available to be off work we would still be onboard now!

The ship is in Muscat today and we called there a couple of weeks ago

On 1/30/2020 at 12:42 PM, icsys said:

We live in Doha, Qatar and can see ships coming into Port regularly from our apartment. Don’t worry about booking these sailings, the region is very safe and interesting for visitors if the culture here is of interest to you. I would do Feb or even March because it is unexpectedly cool for us this year, 11-15 celsius on average  

• Like 1

We're on the March 9th Jewel sailing from Dubai. We're not overly concerned about the security situation. Still lots of room on our sailing from what I can tell.  

Smaller, older ship. Challenging port to sail from. We live in Europe and it was still challenging to figure out the flights. We booked the cruise in early December and the flights a few weeks later, and we're paying a lot more for the flights than the cruise. 

On 1/30/2020 at 5:14 AM, billxinli said:

Our itinerary has us arriving back in Dubai at 2 pm the day before. We're probably going to go to the souk for a bit, then back on board for dinner and packing. We have a 7 am flight, so we'll be off the ship before 5 (the 17 year old is going to LOVE that!)

17 hours ago, gi_pam said:

we're paying a lot more for the flights than the cruise. 

I could get a cheap $300 cruise, but the airfare was more than $3000/person.... yeah, not such a cheap cruise anymore!  LOL

Hope you have a great trip!