Ruby Questions

CintiCruzer

32 minutes ago, CintiCruzer said:

My wife and I just signed up for a west coast trip on the Ruby...  Vancouver to Frisco...

Anybody have any reports on Her??? It has been years since being on her

Thanks

Frisco is in Texas !!!

• Like 2

The recent reports that I’ve seen from the Ruby in Australia are good as far as food and service etc.  We were on a short west coast cruise on the Ruby, last year over Valentines, I like the ship but I didn’t like that cruise.  Being a Thursday-Sunday type thing from LA it was just jammed packed everywhere!  I bet every pull out couch and extra berth was full 😝.  We go on Ruby again from Sydney in early March, I expect that to be much better. 

Just got off the Ruby a couple of weeks ago from New Zealand/ Australia cruise.  This was our fifth trip on the Ruby so we have seen her age and change through the years.  We love the ship overall and found the food to be very good on our last voyage.  The Ruby has great beds and the staff was great on our last trip.  We missed the best New Zealand ports (Akaroa and Fiordlands) because of high winds, so that put a bit of a damper on the voyage, but was not the ship's fault.  We had 27 hours of rocking and rolling in the Tasman Sea, but the crew handled it all admirably.  Some of the passengers, not so much.

2 hours ago, CintiCruzer said:

My wife and I just signed up for a west coast trip on the Ruby...  Vancouver to Frisco...

Anybody have any reports on Her??? It has been years since being on her

Thanks

On the Ruby 6 weeks ago.

Externally needs a bit of love and attention, internally in very good condition and nicely furnished, MDR food very good, buffet area small and crowded and limited choice. Felt more crowded overall than the Sapphire Princess and the Royal Princess we have been on. However if Ruby had another itinerary that we wanted to do, I wouldn't hesitate to book on her again.

17 minutes ago, CintiCruzer said:

Thanks...

We did 2 sailings on her 10 12 years ago... then the Royal class started up... been on the Royal Regal 2x and on the Sky now..

Just hoping we are not disappointed going back

I think you will still enjoy her. I prefer the Royal but that is not to say Ruby isn't pretty damn good.

Some cruises are better than others but I can't say I have ever had a bad cruise. Hope you are enjoying Sky - we are doing the Baltics on her in July.

We sailed Ruby within the past year and found her in generally good shape.  There are a few things we really like about Ruby and a few we don't.  in no particular order:

Positives:  

We love the Adagio lounge up high next to SHARE.  It's rarely ever busy, frequently we're all alone there.  A lovely space with some tranquility for conversation.  On both Crown and Ruby we've run into the Captain here in the hours before dinner. Seems like they seek a bit of peace and quiet too.

Those far forward suites on Lido deck (L106/L107) with giant balconies.  Sometimes these go off at bargain prices.  There are no Window Suites on Ruby but these are a good second choice if the price is right.  Motion can be an issue for some.

Negatives:

We normally love Crooners, but on Ruby this space feels like it's in the actual walkway (many tables actually ARE in the walkway).  What can be a nice, likely cocktail lounge feels like a bus station.  Thank god for Adagio.

Alfredo's.  Nope, hasn't got one.  One of the best ideas on early Grand class ships (and on later Royal class ships) somehow didn't make it onto Ruby.  Sad.

We would sail Ruby again without doubt and are booked on her twin Emerald within the next year.  For me there are no 'no go' Princess ships but there are some I like better than others and Ruby falls somewhere mid-pack on my list.  I'd choose her for the itinerary.  

Edited by jondfk

On 1/31/2020 at 12:16 PM, brisalta said:

Frisco is in Texas !!!

Fresco is also in Colorado too! 😉

Count me in as another who loves the serenity of the Adagio lounge next to Share on the Ruby. Whilst aboard a MR cruise we did take the opportunity to try Share as they had a special offer of $10 off the usual price. At the discounted price I thought that it was decent value. I wouldn’t have felt the same way if I had paid full whack.