Cost of extra 3 dinners online vs. cost of 2 dinners onboard?

Petoonya

Forgive me for being a ninny but I'm new to NCL.

We have the 3 night SDP on Bliss. When I got to booking dining reservations everything looked so good that I booked 5 nights. I really didn't want a 6th nite. But if the cost is not that much more for the extra 3 nite SDP at $118pp, I'll pay the $118pp SDP rather than just an extra 2 nights.

What is the a la carte cost at say La Cucina or Ocean Blue per person per dinner?

Thanks!

Edited by Petoonya

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

We have the 3 night SDP on Bliss. When I got to booking dining reservations everything looked so good that I booked 5 nights. I really didn't want a 6th nite. But if the cost is not that much more for the extra 3 nite SDP at $118pp, I'll pay the $118pp SDP rather than just an extra 2 nights.

What is the a la carte cost at say La Cucina or Ocean Blue per person per dinner?

Thanks!

I cannot answer about Ocean Blue.

However, last month, our receipt for DH & I, at La Cucina, was $116.  We each had: a Salad ($7 and $9), a Pasta ($16 and $13), a Main Course (2@ $29), and Tiramisu for dessert (2@ $8).

Fortunately, we used our Platinum dinner coupon (but needed to sign for the meal).
I would say that if you plan to also eat at Ocean Blue (more expensive) and have more food items than we chose at La Cucina, then you really should go ahead and purchase the 3 meal plan for each of you!

For venues like those you're almost assured to get your money's worth from the SDP.  I consider a 3-night SDP to be close to a buy 2 get one deal based on what I figured I would pay at most venues.  The menus, with prices, are posted online. You could figure out what your estimated cost per meal would be.

The only venue on the Bliss in which I've eaten where that was NOT the case was Q.  The other venues I've eaten in are La Cucina, Le Bistro and Cagney's.  On my last trip the value of my Q meal was $28, the value of my Le Bistro meal was $51, I can't find the slip from Cagney's but I think it was in the area of $60.

The prices are hard to make out, and some things have changed (such as up-charges on some items in some venues) but this is one menu listing - https://profcruise.com/ncl-menus/

1 hour ago, ggTexasGal said:

I cannot answer about Ocean Blue.

However, last month, our receipt for DH & I, at La Cucina, was $116.  We each had: a Salad ($7 and $9), a Pasta ($16 and $13), a Main Course (2@ $29), and Tiramisu for dessert (2@ $8).

Fortunately, we used our Platinum dinner coupon (but needed to sign for the meal).
I would say that if you plan to also eat at Ocean Blue (more expensive) and have more food items than we chose at La Cucina, then you really should go ahead and purchase the 3 meal plan for each of you!

21 minutes ago, hallux said:

For venues like those you're almost assured to get your money's worth from the SDP.  I consider a 3-night SDP to be close to a buy 2 get one deal based on what I figured I would pay at most venues.  The menus, with prices, are posted online. You could figure out what your estimated cost per meal would be.

The only venue on the Bliss in which I've eaten where that was NOT the case was Q.  The other venues I've eaten in are La Cucina, Le Bistro and Cagney's.  On my last trip the value of my Q meal was $28, the value of my Le Bistro meal was $51, I can't find the slip from Cagney's but I think it was in the area of $60.

The prices are hard to make out, and some things have changed (such as up-charges on some items in some venues) but this is one menu listing - https://profcruise.com/ncl-menus/

Wow thanks all. You made the decision very easy! If I just buy a another 3  night SDP whatever restaurant I want to go to for those 3 nights will be covered- do I have that right? For instance if I want to go to Le Bistro 2 of the 6 nights they will be covered with the SDP? (And we're just ordering one main course/nothing extra).

Thanks once again for your help.:)

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Wow thanks all. You made the decision very easy! If I just buy a another 3  night SDP whatever restaurant I want to go to for those 3 nights will be covered- do I have that right? For instance if I want to go to Le Bistro 2 of the 6 nights they will be covered with the SDP? (And we're just ordering one main course/nothing extra).

Yup. We have done multiple nights at the same place many nights. I could eat at Le Bistro every night. 

3 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks!

Our Ocean Blue dinner rang up close to $80 per person. 

You could also use your dining credit at Food Republic for lunch on a sea day or the American Diner (if you don't want the 6th dinner). 

If you buy any package you choose where you want to go to, I have seen people who have bought a multiple package and used it at the same restaurant every night.   We have had a "free" 4 package before now and used it twice in the same restaurant.   We tend NOT to actually go to the Specialties without some form of package but, when we have seen the bill, I would think you could easily have over $30 each for food and probably over $40.

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

To be very clear, when you dine with SDP you do NOT have restrictions on any items, with the exception of only one MAIN COURSE (And some Main Course items have "Up-Charges").  You may order as many appetizers, sides, desserts as you wish.
Also, I want to make clear (in case I misread or misunderstood your post), two people may not "share" an SDP.

It is 3 meals for 1 person.  Otherwise, it seems that an additional SDP package (for each of you) IS best for you, as long as you order would total $40is (or more) per person!!!

Edited by ggTexasGal
added info

6 minutes ago, madibeme said:

Yup. We have done multiple nights at the same place many nights. I could eat at Le Bistro every night. 

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

Our Ocean Blue dinner rang up close to $80 per person.

1 minute ago, casofilia said:

I would think you could easily have over $30 each for food and probably over $40.

Gosh- REALLY makes the package far more attractive.

Just one last question.

Is Teppanyaki an additional cost?

3 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

To be very clear, when you dine with SDP you do NOT have restrictions on any items, with the exception of only one MAIN COURSE (And some Main Course items have "Up-Charges").  You may order as many appetizers, sides, desserts as you wish.
Also, I want to make clear (in case I misread or misunderstood your post), two people may not "share" an SDP.

It is 3 meals for 1 person.  Otherwise, it seems that an additional SDP package (for each of you)  IS best for you!!!

Thanks. Yes, know we had to buy for each of two. Seems so reasonable at $118pp.

But again is Teppanyaki an upcharge? (Someone else has included me in a reservation for 6 others there)

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Gosh- REALLY makes the package far more attractive.

Just one last question.

Is Teppanyaki an additional cost?

Teppanyaki is a Specialty Restaurant thus is part of the SDP or you can pay if you don't want to use one of the "SDP credits" 

1 minute ago, casofilia said:

Teppanyaki is part of the deal.  That works out to be $47 per person at the present cost, not that I would ever pay that.   Where available Moderno is the same and I would not pay that under any circumstances.

Just now, esm54687 said:

Teppanyaki is a Specialty Restaurant thus is part of the SDP or you can pay if you don't want to use one of the "SDP credits" 

Got it. REALLY appreciate all the help. Just now putting my buckos down for the rest of my reservations. Thanks.

Just have to add how pleased I am with the service at NCL with all of this. For some reason my booking online would not let me add the additional 3 dinner SDP- so I called NCL. Very nice lady was able to book the SDP for me.

Also unbeknownst to me someone else booked us for dinner one night in a party of 8. It made me double-booked that night. Thought I'd have to wait till I was onboard to rectify and cancel the extra night. But she took care of that too.

I'm not a fan of big ships like Bliss, I'm an Oceania regular, but so far very impressed with NCL's service and efficiency. Oceania's online excursion/dinner/beverage/extras booking process is not as streamlined and understandable as NCL's. Not expecting the same luxury as on Oceania but NCL has started off on the right foot with me. 🙂 🙂

Thanks again everyone. Your help probably means a few more pounds on me but I love you anyway!