Bottle of wine

labgalbella

12 minutes ago, labgalbella said:

If you want to buy a bottle of wine can you order one at any bar to bring back to your cabin? I don't want to order a Wine package because I don't know what is available. Do they have a list I could look at? Thanks!

Yes.  An individual bottle of wine can be purchased at a bar and taken with you.

When you board, there will be a selection of 3 wine packages.  You may choose one of the packages if you wish.  If you do, any of the bottles that are part of that package may be taken back with you, if you wish.

Bottles of wine can be ordered--as part of a wine package or not--and stored for you at the bar where it is ordered.  It can be retrieved, if the original bar is open, to be served to you at any another area of the ship where you may be.

The MDR does seem to have a different wine list--on some ships--than what the Lounge Bars have.  And, that may differ from bar to bar on some ships.

20 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Also, you are allowed to bring one bottle of wine per adult onboard at embarkation only.  Wine must be consumed in your cabin (or pay the $18 corkage fee in the dining/bar area).

No.
You are allowed to bring aboard as much wine as you can carry, both at initial embarkation and at all ports. Only one bottle per adult, at initial embarkation, is corkage free, however. All other bottles incur an $18 per bottle fee, regardless of where it is consumed. 

4 minutes ago, RuthC said:

No.
You are allowed to bring aboard as much wine as you can carry, both at initial embarkation and at all ports. Only one bottle per adult, at initial embarkation, is corkage free, however. All other bottles incur an $18 per bottle fee, regardless of where it is consumed. 

I stand corrected.  I meant to say that you can bring ONE bottle on FREE.  Sorry.

11 minutes ago, labgalbella said:

I understand about bringing the wine onboard. I will want to buy bottles once onboard. Not sure how to do that. Order at any bar? Do they know what wine is on board, etc. Thanks

You can order from any wine steward including in the MDR.  Very easy.

There will be wine list and there are also wine packages which a lot of people choose.  You can then choose your wine from the choices offered in each package.

Does anyone have any wisdom on the "relative worth" of the Cellar (wine) packages? There's a "Cellar #1," then #2, #3.  Three of course is the most expensive, and not being a wine expert, I am guessing that the available bottles in #3 are "better" than #1. But for anyone who's pre-paid a wine package, what's good enough? 

52 minutes ago, MauiWowie57 said:

Does anyone have any wisdom on the "relative worth" of the Cellar (wine) packages? There's a "Cellar #1," then #2, #3.  Three of course is the most expensive, and not being a wine expert, I am guessing that the available bottles in #3 are "better" than #1. But for anyone who's pre-paid a wine package, what's good enough? 

Almost impossible to answer that question.  It is very subjective depending on your taste.  

Personally speaking, I am fine with the whites in #1 but not the reds.  Of course that is just me.

1 hour ago, MauiWowie57 said:

It really depends on what you like.

For some #1 is fine.

DH likes reds and I whites so we try to find a package that offers something for both of us.  We usually opt for #2 and #3 (we take longer cruises).  The whites in both have a couple of decent choices and the reds are much better compared to #1 for DH.

On the other hand, you might be totally happy with #1.

Under the packages, they list the wines available so you can take a look and see what appeals to you more.  Also a good idea to make sure that the ones you like are available 😉 

My preference is the Drylands Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand.  Not Villa Maria, but better--in my opinion--than the other such wines in the other packages.

Villa Maria was never in a Wine Cellar package.  But, it could be ordered/bottle.  No more, no Villa Maria.  Wine Distributor/"expert" changed and my taste does not agree with the new "expert".  Villa Maria cost more per bottle than their previous "best" did of that New Zealand wine.  While I bought a Wine Package for the MDR, a bought bottles to be served to be in the Lounges.  Mr. Executive V-P in Seattle in charge of Food and Beverage:  money lost that I would have gladly spent if my preferred choice would have been available.

4 hours ago, MauiWowie57 said:

I thought the wines in Cellar #2 were better than Cellar #3.  Even the wine steward said that.

5 hours ago, MauiWowie57 said:

I started looking at the retail cost for the bottles on #1 package, and they were running between US$11 and US$15.  I stopped at that point because I determined for us it was not a good value considering the overall cost of the package and our view of the wines offered. 

Here is the most current (I think) list of wines in the packages if you have not already found it (Roger, i.e. Crew News, is a fantastic source of info!) - 

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Sommelier-Suite.pdf

I would tend towards cellar 2 & 3 although cellar 1 was OK. We have a long cruise coming up and will likely try all 3 again. You do save some $$ by buying the packages. If you are 3 or 4 star you get another 25 or 50% off making it a pretty good deal. We are newly minted 4 stars and I doubt I will bother paying corkage again to bring extra wine onboard since we can find decent enough wines in the packages.

11 hours ago, BaxCruiser said:

I started looking at the retail cost for the bottles on #1 package, and they were running between US$11 and US$15.  I stopped at that point because I determined for us it was not a good value considering the overall cost of the package and our view of the wines offered. 

Remember that you have to add an $18 corkage fee (if not consuming in cabin).  Of course all wines purchased from HAL (or any other cruiseline) are going to be expensive versus onshore prices).  However, once you get to 4 Star level, the 50% discount reduces the prices considerably and are very reasonable IMO.  Prior to becoming 4 Star, it is a tough sell I understand.

32 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Remember that you have to add an $18 corkage fee (if not consuming in cabin).  Of course all wines purchased from HAL (or any other cruiseline) are going to be expensive versus onshore prices).  However, once you get to 4 Star level, the 50% discount reduces the prices considerably and are very reasonable IMO.  Prior to becoming 4 Star, it is a tough sell I understand.

I am fully aware. My exercise was to compare the retail cost to the package cost and evaluate HAL's upcharge.  The wines just weren't worth it. We ended up going to Total Wine and bringing 10 bottles on board.  HAL ran out of stickers on us.

We were unpleasantly surprised to find that the majority of the JS90 wines are all over 15 a glass, putting them out of reach of even the EBP.  

Edited by BaxCruiser