Premium Plus Package- Wines Worth it?

Msamuel

Hello!  We are considering the Premium Plus Package on our upcoming Norwegian cruise (breakaway).   Has anyone recently purchased this?  Are the wines the same as listed in the brochure?  Were you able to take the wines with you from dinner?  Were there wines available over 15 dollars by the glass?  We'd love any recent information you might have about your experience beyond what is listed on the one pagers on the Norwegian website.  

Don't do it if you only care about the wine. Veuve Clicquot is the best bottle you can get and it is worth about $45...so do the math on how much you would normally drink to make that worth it. 

If you care about wine you are much better off bringing decent wine that you enjoy and paying the $15 corkage fee. 

From what I read, Veuve is no longer included, they switched to Moet, still not a bad bottle of bubbles!  I did it for my wife and I in August on Breakaway, and loved every second of it!  The wine you can choose from at dinner are better than the wines on the $15 and under btg list.  I work in the wine and liquor business, and know the value vs price of may wines, and no, there is no advantage to the wines on the list, only the fact that you have better options.  We started out every meal with a bottle of bubbles, and even though the Veuve isn't available anymore, the Moet is, and so is the Nicolas Feaullate Rose, which is a nice bottle.  We then enjoyed a bottle of Hampton Water Rose from Provence, then we would order a glass or two of something else that we thought was interesting.  One day I wanted a glass of Lucente SuperTuscan, and the guy said if he poured me the glass, nobody else would probably order it, so he left the bottle....

Besides the bottles of wine at dinner, you also get bottled water at any bar, Aqua Panna and/or Pelligrino bottles for dinner.  In addition, you get all the cappuccino's, espresso's and other coffee drinks at dinner, and they never charged us for our Starbucks!  I also took advantage of the better quality bourbons and martinis that were over $15, and ordered doubles!  Instead of drinking Bulleit, which I love, I ordered Woodford Reserve or Gentleman Jack.  There are terrific advantages to upgrading.  We justfified it solely on the $99 Veuve per night, the $5 bottles of water (which yes, we gave to my kids....bottled water does NOT come with the soda package), the upgraded liquors and the espresso's after dinner.  They even brought cappuccino's for my kids with no questions asked!  Also....If you are traveling with others without the PPBP,  you can share bottles at dinner!

Hope this helps, and I'm going to enjoy it on my next cruise in April!!!!  (just paid for it!)

Definitely not worth it IMO - the UDP covered everything for me bar bottled water and I actually prefer Italian to French bubbles - you shouldn't have to, but you can work around the lack of bottled water by getting water at the bars and filling your own bottles.

I also do not drink coffee

we used the premium beverage plus package on the Dawn in January and really liked it as primarily wine drinkers.  We were able to get bottles in the dining rooms at dinner (and lunch in the suite restaurant)- always more than one bottle, and could take extra bottles back to our room to have during sailaway.  They didn't require you to open the bottles.  The wines by the glass over $15 were much better as well.  The Coravin pours were NOT included, as I've seen others mention.  We also liked getting bottles of water (well cartons) at the bars, and fresh squeezed OJ, and some of the higher end cocktails, but mostly we drank wine.

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely worth it. We did it for a 21 day and it was wonderful for wine drinkers. We had bottles with lunch and dinner. We even each took an unopened bottle back after dinner or the wine steward would call our butler and he would come get it if we weren’t going back to the cabin right away. It’s nice for the following day if you don’t want to leave your cabin in the afternoon.

Premium liquor and drinks, specialty coffee and bottled water is a plus too. We primarily stuck with Louis Jadot wines which were $75 a bottle. The upgrade was only $29 more a day PP with the free beverage perk. Planning to do it again on 17 day in November. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 3:48 PM, FLConnie said:

Definitely worth it. We did it for a 21 day and it was wonderful for wine drinkers. We had bottles with lunch and dinner. We even each took an unopened bottle back after dinner or the wine steward would call our butler and he would come get it if we weren’t going back to the cabin right away. It’s nice for the following day if you don’t want to leave your cabin in the afternoon.

Premium liquor and drinks, specialty coffee and bottled water is a plus too. We primarily stuck with Louis Jadot wines which were $75 a bottle. The upgrade was only $29 more a day PP with the free beverage perk. Planning to do it again on 17 day in November. 

There is a 20% gratuity added to the $29 pp/pd making it $34.80 pp/pd

We ordered Vueve by the glass and were always given the bottle without exception even though it has been taken off the list.
This was 2 weeks ago. When you add in bottled -or whatever those cartons are called - water and the 25-35& / glass wines, coffees and fresh juices - the package was well worth it to us
We will purchase again for our September cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums