Distance from the Water Taxi to the ship at Red Hook cruise terminal?

ace2542

ACE2542,

Attached is a photo from the QM2 Upper Deck Cabin (Deck 13, Forward) of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

The Brooklyn Terminal is to the far left and the Water Taxi Terminal is to the far right.

The Sheltered Building (white roof) off the walkway with the continuing metal bridge.

QM2 - BKLYN TERMINAL.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigMac1953 said:

Approximately 100 yards

Unless you're arriving during the Brooklyn E-Prix (the Electric Grand Prix, which occupies the Cruise Terminal for about the first two weeks of July). The route is on the Cruise Terminal grounds, obstructing the path from the ferry. While the barriers are in place the detoured walk might be 300-400 yards (still very doable, but longer than normal).

Just now, Sopwith said:

Looks like a much better alternative than cabbing it.  Thanks!

I will be using it on my back to back crossing to pop into Manhattan. 

Although, it is a more limited schedule on the return schedule FROM Manhattan at the times you would want to catch it back. 

• Like 1

Connections are free, so if you're starting in midtown, you can also catch a ferry at 34th St to Wall Street, then change to the Brooklyn Ferry. A friend of mine even got from the QM2 to Laguardia by using the ferry. I think it was Wall St to Astoria, then calling an Uber. She thought it was far more pleasant than any of her other Laguardia transfers.

One of the attractions, for me, to taking the ferry is approaching the QM2 by water. It's a great view.

On 2/17/2020 at 2:24 PM, ace2542 said:

How far is the drop off point for the water taxi to the QM2 in the red hook terminal? Is it far, we will have a case or two to drag to the ship.

There is a video on You Tube that shows the exact walk from QM2 to the red hook ferry terminal ... very interesting  and I was so surprised how close it was to the ship 😊

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Are there any stairs to navigate? We will have suitcase(s) and my father is 81.

No stairs that I recall anywhere from the Wall Street NYC Ferry Terminal in Manhattan to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. There are stairs on the ferry to go up to its upper level, but none if you stay on the lower level.

Edited by bluemarble

I can confirm that there are no stairs in boarding/deboardig at either Wall St or Brooklyn. Here are two photos: one shows the ramp out to the Brooklyn dock, the other (with the 'Board Here' sign) shows the ramp used to board the ferry. The Wall Street dock is similar. The relatively low incline of the ramps is what also makes it very convenient with rolling luggage. It's simply roll-on/roll-off.

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG1463.jpg

Edited by frankp01