Your cruise/holiday plans and Corona

zltm089

We’re doing a Baltic’s cruise in August, Azamara Dubai to Singapore in November and a b2b in the Caribbean March 2021 and don’t intend to cancel any unless we have to. I was on the NCL Jade from Hong Kong to Singapore on the 30th January 2020 and lived to tell the tale. Not heard of anyone who was on our cruise who has been infected either. 

• Thanks 1

Leaving in 3.5 weeks for Hawaii cruise out of San Diego. I was a little uneasy after the confirmed CV case of two Japanese tourists after they returned home in early Feb from a Maui/Oahu vacation. However no cases since then in Hawaii.

I’m not worried about getting sick, but was a little concerned about potential for a Hawaii itinerary being changed or a quarantine. But so far, so good. And definitely good to go for Caribbean cruises later this year and in 2021.

• Like 1

The last 2+ decades have seen several crisis' in the world. 911, the Costa Concordia, terrorism, SARS, random mass shootings you can go on & on. With each crisis I have taken pause and given serious thought to each situation, I've made note of sensible precautions and moved forward in my life. I will not let fear rule my life. And am I ever glad! The beautiful places I've seen that I might have missed! So next Sunday I will board the Edge with the same excitement I felt 18 years ago when I boarded my 1st cruise. And I'll do it again in October in Rome! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the comments. 

I'm not too bothered with the actual health concerns of the corona virus.

What I'm worried about is due to some "Health and safety" excuse my cruise is cancelled/quanratined/delayed etc

Last thing I want is to be locked inside my room, plagued with delays, cancellations, missed ports, medical tents outside, and feel like I'm in some zombie apocalypse movie etc 

When I've spent so much time planning and money on a cruise and then it turns out to be like a Diamond Princess experience. I do get it, "it's one of those things that can happen ". Just trying to get a real feel of what exactly is happening with cruises at the moment. 

We were scheduled to be on Millie cruise to Japan in April which was cancelled.  Because of how bad the virus is in Asia, we were more relieved than disappointed.  As soon as we got the news I started looking for a replacement cruise.  We are now booked to go to Hawaii in April 🙂  

There are always risks when you travel however the risks are small and the benefits are priceless 🙂

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Emmandjay said:

It's not the catching of the virus so much as the possible quarantine situation on the ship.

I have read more than one article that indicates that the likelihood of a whole ship quarantine such as was conducted with the Diamond Princess is unlikely as it was not very effective.  As it was an unprecedented situation, they did the best they could IMO, but should future quarantines occur, it will likely not be on the ship. The alternative location(s) would be anyone's guess at this point.

We leave in a week for the Caribbean.  I have bought some Clorox wipes for the plane and some mini Lysol spray for the room.  Will definitely take my laptop and will have my DM take extra meds...just in case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pacificlander said:

The last 2+ decades have seen several crisis' in the world. 911, the Costa Concordia, terrorism, SARS, random mass shootings you can go on & on. With each crisis I have taken pause and given serious thought to each situation, I've made note of sensible precautions and moved forward in my life. I will not let fear rule my life. And am I ever glad! The beautiful places I've seen that I might have missed! So next Sunday I will board the Edge with the same excitement I felt 18 years ago when I boarded my 1st cruise. And I'll do it again in October in Rome! 

Hear, Hear!!  Very well said.

On 2/21/2020 at 2:32 PM, Emmandjay said:

We are in the same dilemma, with just two weeks until final payment is due for our Norway cruise on Apex.  It's not the catching of the virus so much as the possible quarantine situation on the ship.  The Diamond Princess did not seem to quarantine people very effectively at all.

At the moment we are thinking of cancelling, but will wait as long as possible in case the situation changes.

All due respect, it's not going to change much in 2 weeks.  Relax and enjoy yourself.  Like that old Doris day tune...…"Que Sera, Sera".

22 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I have six more cruises booked this year, beginning with one tomorrow. No way am I cancelling anything at this time.  Anything could change in the future, but unless you are very elderly, and/or already have serious health issues (in which case why are you cruising at all I wonder) I see no reason to cancel at this time.  I will bring extra prescription meds as a precaution but beyond that, it’s live life as normal until or if that doesn’t make sense.  

• Thanks 1

New Zealand cruise this Saturday followed by a Hawaii cruise and then an Alaskan cruise in May, looking forward to them all. If somebody else bring the virus onboard, then Si be it. But I am not going to worry about something that I have no control over.

• Like 1