RCI to $300 Million Cruise Facility in Freeport!!

10 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

The question was why does RCI think WE want that at every single port. The question was not why is RCI doing it. 

Pretty sure they aren't going to invest $300,000,000 without some solid market research.  Who is exactly WE?  You and your demographic or the one RCI seems to be focused on?

Places like this and Coco Cay mean little to me (although I don't seem them as the abomination many here seem to) but I don't begrudge RCI for having a vision for maximizing their appeal and therefore revenue stream.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

When talking about vacations and spending disposable income who else would I be talking about?

My point is that RCI seems to be shifting away from your demo.  I am sure they still want your disposable income but they are certainly casting a wider net now.

On 3/3/2020 at 8:59 AM, schmeed said:

Why does RCI think we want theme parks at every single port?  I don't get it.

Because each time they attach a $ to it, it works in their favor.  

I bet they are sick of getting feedback about ports like Jamaica or Cozumel with limited activities near the actual ports and histories of locals being aggressive to tourists.  In response many Americans now just want a relaxing cruise and get a couple "toes in the sand" photos for Instagram. You think the mass market American public is interested in a variety of cultures??!!?! 

Freeport itself is a complete dump.  You have your choice between an industrial port, a ride to a third rate Chinese junk goods "marketplace" in wildly unsafe vehicles, or paying a resort for a beach day if you don't stay on the ship.  It's a flat, ugly island otherwise.  Nearby means low fuel costs and if they have a captive spot that meets cruisers requests they will laugh all the way to the bank. 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I bet they are sick of getting feedback about ports like Jamaica or Cozumel with limited activities near the actual ports and histories of locals being aggressive to tourists.  In response many Americans now just want a relaxing cruise and get a couple "toes in the sand" photos for Instagram. You think the mass market American public is interested in a variety of cultures??!!?!

This is confirmed by watching many YouTube cruise vacation videos. Especially cruises to the Bahamas, which are perfect for people who just want a hassle-free get-away vacation where they can enjoy the ship and the beach for a few days. Isn't this how Royal Caribbean started out, running quick trips out to the Bahamas? And it was successful. There are plenty of other options for cruises to places for people who want a deeper immersion in the destinations. The cruise lines are wise to invest in infrastructure that will make the entire experience as seamless and hassle-free as possible for people who want it. Hiring a taxi and exploring the island on your own is not for everyone.

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

This is confirmed by watching many YouTube cruise vacation videos. Especially cruises to the Bahamas, which are perfect for people who just want a hassle-free get-away vacation where they can enjoy the ship and the beach for a few days. Isn't this how Royal Caribbean started out, running quick trips out to the Bahamas? And it was successful. There are plenty of other options for cruises to places for people who want a deeper immersion in the destinations. The cruise lines are wise to invest in infrastructure that will make the entire experience as seamless and hassle-free as possible for people who want it. Hiring a taxi and exploring the island on your own is not for everyone.

I agree. There are plenty of posts on the boards from people who are either looking for a beach day or a resort to go to when they get off of the ship and this model may suite them well.  But, hopefully, with as many ships as RCI has the cruise line can continue to cater to both groups of people. I like RCI ships and the product they have provided. But if every sailing starts doing two private stops in a week as some are doing now I would really have to re-evaluate what I am going to do as that would not be what I am looking for. I am concerned with the investment that RCI is making they are going to make sure that as many people as possible end up exactly where they want them. With Labadee, Coco Cay, and this new development RCI could easily have six ships a day at their ports.

And I don't particularly need the typical smart a$$ comment someone always feels the need to make about not letting the door hit you in the.......

Obviously RCI isn't the only cruise line doing this. All the major ones have private destinations built into many of their Caribbean itineraries. And people seem to enjoy it. I don't see it as the cruise line corralling the guests as much as them responding to what the guests want. It's mass tourism in all its glory. I also confess that I see an appeal to the "two Perfect Day" cruises if all I wanted to do is get away and have a do-nothing break. So what if we go to CocoCay twice? I can be twice as lazy sitting on one of those hammocks all afternoon and sometimes that's exactly what I want.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I agree. There are plenty of posts on the boards from people who are either looking for a beach day or a resort to go to when they get off of the ship and this model may suite them well.  But, hopefully, with as many ships as RCI has the cruise line can continue to cater to both groups of people. I like RCI ships and the product they have provided. But if every sailing starts doing two private stops in a week as some are doing now I would really have to re-evaluate what I am going to do as that would not be what I am looking for. I am concerned with the investment that RCI is making they are going to make sure that as many people as possible end up exactly where they want them. With Labadee, Coco Cay, and this new development RCI could easily have six ships a day at their ports.

And I don't particularly need the typical smart a$$ comment someone always feels the need to make about not letting the door hit you in the.......

You're right, I'm not taking that away from you.  But look at many of the popular islands.  Local cultures have vanished.  You have cruise compounds and a shopping district.  No longer is the Caribbean any great bargain for goods/jewelry/electronics.  You can find everything cheaper on Amazon.  True cultural immersion on mass market caribbean cruises is vanishing; the tours offered most definitely are geared towards shopping and spending, or otherwise geared towards "Disneyfied" activities inserted into an area that really is just adult thrill rides, not an enriching experience. How cultural is a zip line, rollercoaster, or jet ski tour?  Many of these frequent caribbean destinations have become very polarized with gentrified areas and resorts for tourists, and outright 3rd world squalor beyond the gates.  Much of the charm of these places has vanished and so if tourists want hassle free beaches the cruise lines are happy to give it along with 10,000 spending opportunities. Many of the posts for a particular destination are over Nachos and is "American" soda included at the Day Resorts.  If you fed these people something authentic they'd rate the excursion lower and ding the cruise line scores.  These people want their Harley Davidson T-Shirt, not culture. 

Unfortunately you are outnumbered.  

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

You are the one who is laughable. You don't have the slightest idea what I do when in port, where I go, or who I meet. When you have been someplace enough times you don't need to be in port too many hours to reconnect with people you have met and take part in their activities. You ever spent a Sunday morning in Nassau in church experiencing how the Bahamians celebrate in their culture? Probably not. Maybe that is why I love Nassau when there is so much hate for the place on these boards. The locals are awesome.

You ever spent time in St. Maarten just sitting and talking to the ladies that sell t-shirts and hats and asked them about living on the island and how their kids get their educations and make a living? They love to chat if you show some interest.

You ever spend time in St. Kitts sitting on a bench in the park that is not to far from the port chatting with some locals about their lives? 

I don't need to be in port for days to make connections.

Try losing some of the smugness. It would go far.

Well aren't you special? LOL!

Yeah, I've spent plenty of time in the islands.  No, I haven't been to church in Nassau.  But I've spend a great deal of my life in The Caribbean.  And the experiences you mention, I've done a lot of things like that.   However, that's not how 95% of cruise travelers operate.  I will stick by my position that it IS laughable to think most cruisers ever experience the varied cultures.  

14 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Well aren't you special? LOL!

Yeah, I've spent plenty of time in the islands.  No, I haven't been to church in Nassau.  But I've spend a great deal of my life in The Caribbean.  And the experiences you mention, I've done a lot of things like that.   However, that's not how 95% of cruise travelers operate.  I will stick by my position that it IS laughable to think most cruisers ever experience the varied cultures.  

And I might actually agree with you. But you quoted me and made it sound like I had no clue what I was talking about.

And you could still stand to do something about the smugness.

I avoid the Northern Bahama Islands from November through March.  There are times when the air warm but often it can be down-right chilly in Nassau, Freeport and CocoCay during those months.  The ocean temp is only in the mid-70's that time of the year, which to me is too cold,  and apparently RCL doesn't heat the pools at CocoCay?  I would imagine if there are pools at this new place in Freeport, they would not be heated either.

23 hours ago, fred30 said:

Oh Great!  That will be just 1 step above having to go to Port Canaveral from just about every cruise out of the Northeast.

Like we want to cruise to Freeport any more than cruising to Florida. 

As a person living in New England and maybe only once or twice going to Southern Caribbeans and sometimes to Europe, Bermuda, Canada... at least 1 or twice per year we do this 7 or 8 Florida/Bahama cruise. We've done virtually everything we could in Port Canaveral (NASA, airboats, gator farms... don't want to do parks) ... I do not like Cocoa beach, so for me just going to better beach in Grand Bahama will be an upgrade! Yes these cruises are mostly strictly beach cruises to us.

57 minutes ago, The Grumpus said:

I avoid the Northern Bahama Islands from November through March.  There are times when the air warm but often it can be down-right chilly in Nassau, Freeport and CocoCay during those months.  The ocean temp is only in the mid-70's that time of the year, which to me is too cold,  and apparently RCL doesn't heat the pools at CocoCay?  I would imagine if there are pools at this new place in Freeport, they would not be heated either.

Ocean water was fine on Thanksgiving cruises 7-8 times we were there on all companies private islands. It was little bit chillier on Princess Cay on December 31st once, but most people were still in the water.

We do not use pools when ocean is available though so cannot speak for them

24 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Ocean water was fine on Thanksgiving cruises 7-8 times we were there on all companies private islands. It was little bit chillier on Princess Cay on December 31st once, but most people were still in the water.

We do not use pools when ocean is available though so cannot speak for them

When you are from New England the water down south is always plenty warm enough.😉

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

When you are from New England the water down south is always plenty warm enough.😉

Seriously... With so much cruising in this region - Caribbeans, Bahamas are probably 35 or so cruises I do not even swim much at  Cape Code... or anywhere here. I like warm water.  🙂

Edited by Tatka

Like the food, it's all relative to your taste.  When your pool is 87-90 from April though September, and you go to the Bahamas and the water is 73, it's just too cold.  Especially if it is cloudy and breezy.

Even in the Caribbean where the water never goes much below 82, it's still a tad chilly but I can deal with it.

With two very small children (1 and 3,) having ports where there are nice beaches and port activities such as cococay, Disney’s castaway cay, Etc are very appealing to us. They are too young to participate in most excursions and I don’t relish the idea of taking them outside of many ports for safety, lack of car seats, etc. It’s nice to get off the boat and not just have a diamond and t shirt store to browse through. 

• Like 2