MSC refund policy coronavirus

niko40

FYI - We cancelled our June 27th cruise on March 19th. Called yesterday to get an update on the refund and was told they were originally telling people 60 days but have pushed it back to 70 to 75 days. The rep also told me that they are only sending refunds on Monday and Tuesday of each week. He said it would depend on my bank when I get it after that, but they only process them Monday and Tuesday. It is really something different each time someone calls. 

• Like 2

I have received emails stating anything from 10 days (March) to 120 days (this week), our cruise was cancelled in Feb. You would think that at least the staff would have a basic story rather than make it up as they go along. I wouldn't believe a word they say, the chickens will come home to roost.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 1:49 PM, mamaneedsavacay said:

Also posted this in the Americans' refund thread, but we got our refund today. Booked USA to sail Mar 15, which was canceled by MSC. Requested FCC on Mar 30 through online form. Pre-paid items and port fees, etc. were credited to our credit card today in the correct amounts. Have not received official FCC certificate, but it may have gone to my TA. Previous emails from MSC state that the 125% FCC is already in my account and they will apply it when I am ready to book. 

It was a nerve-wracking two months, but in all, they are officially within 60 days of when I submitted my online form. I'll be ready to sail with them again.

So you got refunded your on board pre paid, but didn't refund your cruise, just got an FCC?

1 hour ago, GatorMomInNC said:

So you got refunded your on board pre paid, but didn't refund your cruise, just got an FCC?

That's correct, because its what I requested on the form. But I haven't officially received my full FCC yet. If I could change my mind, I would. 

5 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Thank you for posting this information.  When did you request the refund?

Hi.   March 14th the TA asked me if I wanted a refund or FCC and I replied the same day, so assuming the TA would have informed MSC that day or shortly after.  Did get a credit note from TA on March 26th that confirmed that all was canceled and I could expect money to be paid out. 

On 5/23/2020 at 8:52 AM, TampaGambler said:

FYI - We cancelled our June 27th cruise on March 19th. Called yesterday to get an update on the refund and was told they were originally telling people 60 days but have pushed it back to 70 to 75 days. The rep also told me that they are only sending refunds on Monday and Tuesday of each week. He said it would depend on my bank when I get it after that, but they only process them Monday and Tuesday. It is really something different each time someone calls. 

In ref to your info from MSC about Mon/Tues processing, I updated my plan below.  I posted this on another thread, but fits here too.  Big picture, I requested my refund on March 14th for an April 11th cruise.  On May 19th, a refund was showing on my cc as "pending" and it stayed that way until the morning of May 23d when it disappeared...

Tara619,

Exact same thing happened to me on Friday, May 23d, as well.  My refund was showing as "pending from May 19th up to Friday morning, May 23d.  I e-mailed Chase and got their response yesterday:

"Hello, thank you for contacting us.  We reviewed your account and found that a return for $xxxx.xx was attempted on May 19,2020.  However, the credit has dropped off your account possibly because the merchant has cancelled the refund.  We recommend contacting the merchant directly to confirm the status of your credit."

I e-mailed MSC sales service dept last night @ sales.service@msccruisesusa.com by hitting reply, once again, to their original refund request confirmation e-mail.  They have been responding in about 2-3 days, even though their answers are boilerplate, IMO.  I'm going to wait for their answer (not holding my breath, at this point).

Assuming they come back without a clear response, then I will feel justified disputing the charge thru Chase credit cards as I have now followed their recommended actions to resolve this.

Some others have posted MSC rep told them they process refunds on Mon & Tues of each week, so I'll probably wait until Wed to see if it shows back up before contacting Chase.

These are just my plans going forward, you gotta do what fits your situation the best.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, abbflex said:

Hi.   March 14th the TA asked me if I wanted a refund or FCC and I replied the same day, so assuming the TA would have informed MSC that day or shortly after.  Did get a credit note from TA on March 26th that confirmed that all was canceled and I could expect money to be paid out. 

Since PSmarkle's refund was cancelled, I think you may be the only person who has actually received a refund....  I am glad you got your refund, I don't begrudge it, but I don't know why you got yours and I haven't gotten mine and I requested mine 2 weeks earlier, and have been told I won't get it now for another 3 mos.    The point being, there seems to be no consistency to what MSC is doing, and certainy no transparency.  

• Like 1

This is very weird and thanks Tara and PS for your input.  I had odd thing happen last week couple of days when logging into Amex account.

When I logged in, I'd get a quick flash of a credit close to what was owed for fees but once fully seeing all transactions, nothing was there.  I wonder if they did same thing to us by cancelling.

Hello, my cruise in July (starting on 5th of July in Kiel) was cancelled by MSC because of the pandemic. I booked through a german travel agency (kreuzfahrten.de, i am german) and received an email about getting a voucher. Since i can't plan another cruise this year and next year, i told them that i reject the voucher and would like to have a refund.

Now i received another email, stating that they are going to forward my request to MSC and that i will receive my refund 60 days after the begin of the original cruise.

Guess i have to wait and see now what is going to happen.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:24 PM, abbflex said:

Did receive refund for our 5th april cruise this week. 

Doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason. We both cancelled on the same day (March 14th). I have not received anything for my cruise that was set to depart April 4th. 

I wonder how MSC is organizing these refunds. There must be some sort of process, but I certainly can't figure it out.

On 5/25/2020 at 5:33 PM, GatorMomInNC said:

Since PSmarkle's refund was cancelled, I think you may be the only person who has actually received a refund....  I am glad you got your refund, I don't begrudge it, but I don't know why you got yours and I haven't gotten mine and I requested mine 2 weeks earlier, and have been told I won't get it now for another 3 mos.    The point being, there seems to be no consistency to what MSC is doing, and certainy no transparency.  

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason. We both cancelled on the same day (March 14th). I have not received anything for my cruise that was set to depart April 4th. 

I wonder how MSC is organizing these refunds. There must be some sort of process, but I certainly can't figure it out.

Well, the only explainable reason must be that since I`m from Norway and MSC probably have another marked here. Less customers from Scandinavia so less refunds and they can pay out quicker?  Just guessing ofcourse. 

2 hours ago, abbflex said:

Well, the only explainable reason must be that since I`m from Norway and MSC probably have another marked here. Less customers from Scandinavia so less refunds and they can pay out quicker?  Just guessing ofcourse. 

That make sense. Totally me being unaware that I was posting in the generic refund thread and not the USA refund thread. Glad things worked out for you! We love Norway, been there twice and intend to return.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi from the UK

Cancelled P and O 14th March for 31st May cruise for £4,800 ($6,000). Cheque refund received in full 10th June, didn't like wait but they kept me well informed. Pleased with their customer relations. Section 75 of credit card claimed but matter resolved by P and O. Only issue is a planned identical cruise with them for next summer has been priced at £3,436 when our cancelled 31st May cruise this year was £2,412 an increase of 42%. Maybe to balance out the extra 25% FCC offered (but not taken). Won't be taking the cruise at that price. Sign of things to come.

MSC UK disgraceful AND dishonest. Cancelled 12th March for 4th April cruise. Similar cost to P and O cruise and broken promises after broken promises. Easy to speak with very pleasant staff but always the same result from different stories - 'refund is being processed'! Have to wait until at least middle of July now. Loyal past customers but will not be booking with them again. Section 75 claimed which may or may not arrive in the next 10 working days but before the MSC. 

Won't be cruising before at least mid 2021 as 74 soon, still very cautious and have yet to hear about changes to onboard life and facilities.

Saga UK travel insurers will now insure Covid risks apparently. Hope ours, and others, will follow

Haven't seen any posting on here from UK customers receiving any refunds

Wife and I have enjoyed our 10 week no fly/cruise /drive walking holiday from our house keeping positive and safe despite the revolting morons on the other city streets 

Edited by Intergalactic Cruiser
added text

24 minutes ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

Hi from the UK

Cancelled P and O 14th March for 31st May cruise for £4,800 ($6,000). Cheque refund received in full 10th June, didn't like wait but they kept me well informed. Pleased with their customer relations. Section 75 of credit card claimed but matter resolved by P and O. Only issue is a planned identical cruise with them for next summer has been priced at £3,436 when our cancelled 31st May cruise this year was £2,412 an increase of 42%. Maybe to balance out the extra 25% FCC offered (but not taken). Won't be taking the cruise at that price. Sign of things to come.

MSC UK disgraceful AND dishonest. Cancelled 12th March for 4th April cruise. Similar cost to P and O cruise and broken promises after broken promises. Easy to speak with very pleasant staff but always the same result from different stories - 'refund is being processed'! Have to wait until at least middle of July now. Loyal past customers but will not be booking with them again. Section 75 claimed which may or may not arrive in the next 10 working days but before the MSC. 

Won't be cruising before at least mid 2021 as 74 soon, still very cautious and have yet to hear about changes to onboard life and facilities.

Saga UK travel insurers will now insure Covid risks apparently. Hope ours, and others, will follow

Haven't seen any posting on here from UK customers receiving any refunds

Wife and I have enjoyed our 10 week no fly/cruise /drive walking holiday from our house keeping positive and safe despite the revolting morons on the other city streets 

Another UK customer here, slightly different situation in that we have a Caribbean cruise booked for this November that I want to move back a year, wouldn't be a problem for pretty much every other cruise line going on the current climate because it will cost them nothing and keeps the money in their coffers. MSC however will only allow this penalty free up to end October, after that it's £100 each to change for 2 of us or lose deposit of £200, so same thing. Final payment looms late next month at which point we shall have to cancel if they're stance doesn't change, if that happens, despite us being top loyalty level we'll be done with them cos it's not the first time they've been unhelpful to us. We're a couple of years younger than you, but being cautious we've cancelled or rebooked every holiday or weekend away up next April, with a roundtrip ex Southampton on Harmony of the Seas in May being our next planned break. Stay safe.

6 minutes ago, harz99 said:

Another UK customer here, slightly different situation in that we have a Caribbean cruise booked for this November that I want to move back a year, wouldn't be a problem for pretty much every other cruise line going on the current climate because it will cost them nothing and keeps the money in their coffers. MSC however will only allow this penalty free up to end October, after that it's £100 each to change for 2 of us or lose deposit of £200, so same thing. Final payment looms late next month at which point we shall have to cancel if they're stance doesn't change, if that happens, despite us being top loyalty level we'll be done with them cos it's not the first time they've been unhelpful to us. We're a couple of years younger than you, but being cautious we've cancelled or rebooked every holiday or weekend away up next April, with a roundtrip ex Southampton on Harmony of the Seas in May being our next planned break. Stay safe.

I suppose we shouldn't complain having cruised many times from Southampton but there are not many cruises of interest to us May through to September next year. A repeat Princess cruise a possibility since they offer £50 deposits and we'd be happy enough given the circumstances to walk away from those. Otherwise it's re-booking our cancelled short breaks in the UK and maybe a Rhone river cruise.  

Trying to stay safe, it's everyone else😉

17 minutes ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

I suppose we shouldn't complain having cruised many times from Southampton but there are not many cruises of interest to us May through to September next year. A repeat Princess cruise a possibility since they offer £50 deposits and we'd be happy enough given the circumstances to walk away from those. Otherwise it's re-booking our cancelled short breaks in the UK and maybe a Rhone river cruise.  

Trying to stay safe, it's everyone else😉

I know the feeling re ex UK itineraries, but for us Harmony is a new ship and class, plus we've never been to either Rotterdam or Bilbao before so that's good enough. It'll be interesting to see how they manage the entertainment though as the big theatre show is normally on mutiple days and times to accomodate everyone on board in a full theatre, but that was without any social distancing...

1 hour ago, harz99 said:

"""with a roundtrip ex Southampton on Harmony of the Seas in May""" I think you mean Anthem and if so there is a 7 nt cruise we could be interested in. Will investigate, thanks for the nod

2 hours ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

"""with a roundtrip ex Southampton on Harmony of the Seas in May""" I think you mean Anthem and if so there is a 7 nt cruise we could be interested in. Will investigate, thanks for the nod

Yes I do mean Anthem, doh!!! I was tossing up between that and Harmony out of Barcelona, so had a senior moment there. I think the European Cities itinerary is repeated a few times from early May, we're on the first one.

10 minutes ago, harz99 said:

Yes I do mean Anthem, doh!!! I was tossing up between that and Harmony out of Barcelona, so had a senior moment there. I think the European Cities itinerary is repeated a few times from early May, we're on the first one.

It'll be the late August one for us but don't want to pay the £300 deposit so will defer for today.

Won't write again on this as want to keep on MSC topic as far as poss. Tata🛳️

Here's another data point.  Got the refund for my cancelled March 18 cruise on MSC Seaside.  I filled out the cancellation form on March 16.  I received an e-mail saying the refund would be processed in 60 days.  Of course that did not happen but I received the refund to my credit card last week.  No notification or anything from MSC but I am happy to have my money back!  Good luck to those still waiting on refunds.

5 hours ago, RobertoF said:

Here's another data point.  Got the refund for my cancelled March 18 cruise on MSC Seaside.  I filled out the cancellation form on March 16.  I received an e-mail saying the refund would be processed in 60 days.  Of course that did not happen but I received the refund to my credit card last week.  No notification or anything from MSC but I am happy to have my money back!  Good luck to those still waiting on refunds.

Congrats so that's two REPORTED  so far - one in the States and one in Norway. Nothing yet REPORTED from the UK where I have now been promised in writing that my March claim will be refunded by 9th July. I was told on Wednesday there would be a big announcement from MSC yesterday, Wednesday, but it didn't come. Whisper was that no further bookings are being taken for this year and the website is only showing 2021 cruises. This logically would mean that those who have cancelled their 2020 cruises will not be able to rebook for this year. That would leave ships less than full which might help with onboard distancing but IMHO more likely is that with Portugal, Spain and and others not welcoming cruise ships the Europe, at least, 2020 programme will all be cancelled. Pessimistic yes 'fraid so. Hope I'm wrong has been known!

12 minutes ago, Intergalactic Cruiser said:

Congrats so that's two REPORTED  so far - one in the States and one in Norway. Nothing yet REPORTED from the UK where I have now been promised in writing that my March claim will be refunded by 9th July. I was told on Wednesday there would be a big announcement from MSC yesterday, Wednesday, but it didn't come. Whisper was that no further bookings are being taken for this year and the website is only showing 2021 cruises. This logically would mean that those who have cancelled their 2020 cruises will not be able to rebook for this year. That would leave ships less than full which might help with onboard distancing but IMHO more likely is that with Portugal, Spain and and others not welcoming cruise ships the Europe, at least, 2020 programme will all be cancelled. Pessimistic yes 'fraid so. Hope I'm wrong has been known!

Well something needs to happen soon, about a week ago the big boss of MSC Cruises announced itinerary changed for 2021, since then the US site has carried a news item about this but the changes are still not showing and the old cruises are showing available to book. MSC are also well behind other cruise lines in their dates for which you can rebook, most are allowing up to end 2020 or line to "lift n shift".

3 minutes ago, harz99 said:

Well something needs to happen soon, about a week ago the big boss of MSC Cruises announced itinerary changed for 2021, since then the US site has carried a news item about this but the changes are still not showing and the old cruises are showing available to book. MSC are also well behind other cruise lines in their dates for which you can rebook, most are allowing up to end 2020 or line to "lift n shift".

They're pretty useless at communication. The recorded phone messages include an instruction to enter your membership number and then press the £ (pound) key.  Which phone keyboards have such a key! Told them about it months ago, given up, who cares, they don't. 🤑

• Like 1