Wonder if Celebrity Will Do Somthing Similiar - OBC for not cancelling

sandc4e

On 3/8/2020 at 7:52 PM, Mark.Jules said:

I agree so much with this.  I understand the concerns, but statistically speaking this is rather minor.  I do understand lives are lost and that is never a trivial matter.  I struggle to understand why the reaction to Covid-19 is so different.  Perhaps because it is more easily transferred from one to another, but so is noro and the flu. 

CDC --> https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm states there have been 20-52,000 flu deaths this flu season and 34-49,000,000 illnesses.

Jules - 2 examples of how it is different. Son-in-law in Milan. 4 weeks ago 2 cases and no deaths. Today thousands of cases and 100+ deaths with many more not listed as due to Corona. Many deaths listed as pneumonia.

Second is "elderly" over 60 with underlying conditions like COPD or cancer have a death rate in the 8% or higher area. Since COVID is easily spread and transfer occurs without symptoms THOSE people in the high risk category should not cruise.

FWIW we shut schools here 10 years ago with the H1N1 virus. It was nasty, but I was 10 years younger and it had death rate of about .001. Not .03 like Corona.

Others have a great time.

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

Can you explain what you mean by minimums?

Thank you.

there is a page on Celebrity where you can place a bid to upgrade to other categories.  There is a range in what can be bid depending upon what the cabin is.  For example, a Celebrity suite might have a minimum bid of $500 up to a max bid of $1500 if you want to gamble on getting an upgrade.   There is also a forum on cruise critic under Celebrity that you can enter the information if you bid on a certain cabin.  Based on that information, lots of people have upgraded successfully paying less than if they purchased the upgrade.

I see no need for enticement to cruise. If anything I can see this being a problem in that people who are more at risk will sail which at this point is not needed.  I don’t have anything to November but my business travel and al is cut back at this point. Hoping this clears away in the near future but it’s such a fluid situation currently 

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

It’s also just a matter of time for someone to take the $200 offer, get sick onboard, then places blame on the cruise line for enticing them to cruise. Even when it was against their better judgment in the first place. 

Yep, like the FL couple filing their frivolous lawsuit against Princess?

13 minutes ago, wallysdtr said:

there is a page on Celebrity where you can place a bid to upgrade to other categories.  There is a range in what can be bid depending upon what the cabin is.  For example, a Celebrity suite might have a minimum bid of $500 up to a max bid of $1500 if you want to gamble on getting an upgrade.   There is also a forum on cruise critic under Celebrity that you can enter the information if you bid on a certain cabin.  Based on that information, lots of people have upgraded successfully paying less than if they purchased the upgrade.

Ah, thank you for this information.  I haven't yet participated in the bidding process but now I understand.  It's why I love CC...I never cease to learn something new 🙂.

it's not just fear of getting sick that would make me consider cancelling it's the chances of missing ports or just plain getting stuck on the ship.  We just got off the Equinox where we missed a port because the local authorities didn't clear the ship.  Honestly I didn't mind because the DR wasn't really a great stop and they refunded us a full day credit (that's a win in my book!).  But more and more ports may say no cruise ships right now.  So then what, a cruise to no-where?  I have a Nov. Panama cruise coming up and I am seriously considering changing it because I don't want to take a chance of  missing the ports.

I would love to get something BUT If you incentivise people going that may sway their decision. Making it less like that someone who is "only a little sick" will cancel because they don't want to lose out on XXX.

27 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

What makes their lawsuit frivolous? From what I read it has plenty of merit if the chain of events occurred as the suit alleges.

It's my opinion.  Looking to make a buck off an unfortunate event.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

Celebrity is allowing you to cancel up to 48 hours before departure. Princess is not that generous. THey have extended their deadlines but nothing like what Celebrity has offer.   The way the situation is changing daily I would rather have the flexibility Celebrity is offering me than a few extra dollars onboard.

FCC doesn't work for us as we have 2021 booked out.  If cruise is cancelled by the government or company, we get refunded.  If the cruise sails, I'm on it.  Nonrefundable domestic Delta air is also an issue for us, paid peak spring break prices.  

Edited by nitroused