Wonder if Celebrity Will Do Somthing Similiar - OBC for not cancelling

sandc4e

We're still really looking forward to our April 1st cruise from Auckland

We would only consider cancelling if the itinerary drastically changed  - which is a strong possibility because Samoa, US Samoa and Tonga have all closed their ports to Cruise ships until further notice..... and we are going to all 3 of these ports as well as Fiji, so if these 3 ports are closed then that's 3 quarters of our cruise gone :classic_sad:

I know things can change in 3 weeks and we remain optimistic that these ports will be open by the time we sail.... but I know celebrity will make the right decision....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Up until last week when we embarked on our cruise to the Caribbean, I think I would have agreed with you.  However, after disembarking yesterday from a ship that was only 2/3's full, I realized a couple of things:

1.  Though there are some things to consider and be aware of, the hype has created unrealistic fear and down right panic.

2.  This is not just about company greed.  It's about the preservation of thousands of jobs and livelihoods and if a little OBC helps with that, then it's a good thing.

The decision to cancel is personal based on individual circumstances and I would never try to sway one way or the other but I do think the decision should be based on rational thought as opposed to paralyzing fear.

If one is in a high risk category, makes sense to cancel.  If one is in a situation such that they cannot risk a prolonged quarantine, makes sense to cancel.  If neither of those apply to a given situation, then what is the harm in offering a little incentive to keep calm and sail on.... Just my opinion of course.

Very well said and I totally agree.  

• Like 1

So every time you board a cruise ship you are prone to "norovirus"....so many tales of people and ships that had problems.....why is this different to everyone....the American flu has killed many thousands of people this year alone.....I'm unsure why "cornonavirus " is more scary to people than the flu...it's a chance we take going out every day...and I work in health care......taking precautions as we should...but cancelling a cruise....sounds a little over the top

23 minutes ago, Aussiegrlfl said:

So every time you board a cruise ship you are prone to "norovirus"....so many tales of people and ships that had problems.....why is this different to everyone....the American flu has killed many thousands of people this year alone.....I'm unsure why "cornonavirus " is more scary to people than the flu...it's a chance we take going out every day...and I work in health care......taking precautions as we should...but cancelling a cruise....sounds a little over the top

I agree so much with this.  I understand the concerns, but statistically speaking this is rather minor.  I do understand lives are lost and that is never a trivial matter.  I struggle to understand why the reaction to Covid-19 is so different.  Perhaps because it is more easily transferred from one to another, but so is noro and the flu. 

CDC --> https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm states there have been 20-52,000 flu deaths this flu season and 34-49,000,000 illnesses.

Edited by Mark.Jules
additional info. and citation

4 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Maybe the $200 would come in handy if you are quaratsened for fourteen days.

After the Japan disaster, no country will attempt to force a quarantine on a cruise ship.  If the ship reports any passenger with symptoms, ports simply deny entry or even deny disembarkment.

• Like 1

With all the emphasis and cancellation options given to people who want to cancel their cruise why aren't the cruise lines not offering some incentive to people so they actually keep their cruise active?

Why not throw in free wifi or beverage packages, OBC etc to entice at least some folks to not call off their travel plans?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

A payoff to keep a reservation, versus cancelling it, is an act of desperation. My decision to go or not would be based on my perception of the impact on my health and well being, not a small bribe. Life is more than just financial.

It's a business decision just as any other advertisement campaign.

• Like 1

Celebrity is allowing you to cancel up to 48 hours before departure. Princess is not that generous. THey have extended their deadlines but nothing like what Celebrity has offer.   The way the situation is changing daily I would rather have the flexibility Celebrity is offering me than a few extra dollars onboard.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

Celebrity is allowing you to cancel up to 48 hours before departure. Princess is not that generous. THey have extended their deadlines but nothing like what Celebrity has offer.   The way the situation is changing daily I would rather have the flexibility Celebrity is offering me than a few extra dollars onboard.

That's exactly the point. Celebrity gives a carte blanche to guests so that they can cancel until pretty much last minute. Why not try and keep people who are on the fence from cancelling and offering an inventive for staying on? It doesn't have to be one or the other, quite the opposite.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fly and Sail said:

That's exactly the point. Celebrity gives a carte blanche to guests so that they can cancel until pretty much last minute. Why not try and keep people who are on the fence from cancelling and offering an inventive for staying on? It doesn't have to be one or the other, quite the opposite.

You are right, it does not have to be one or the other. That said Celebrity's offer works best for me.  It gives me more flexibility at a time that I really need it.  Without their offer I would have likely cancelled already.  With it I am still in the game and hoping to be able to make my trips in May and July.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

Celebrity's offer works best for me.  It gives me more flexibility at a time that I really need it.  Without their offer I would have likely cancelled already.  With it I am still in the game and hoping to be able to make my trips in May and July.

Unfortunately it doesn’t work for us, our cruise is scheduled for 1st August.

If you were going to cancel becuase of concerns over virus or the risk of quarentine would a perk actually make any difference anyway?  I doubt there are many whose concerns would be allayed by the promise of $200 OBC.

We're booked to the Baltic on 4th July - still intending on sailing at this point.  The world will be a very different place by then - and I don't mean that flippantly!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Unfortunately it doesn’t work for us, our cruise is scheduled for 1st August.

I’m sure things are to look a lot different in August, maybe better or maybe worse.  If things are better then you can enjoy your cruise.  If the situation is worse then l’m sure Celebrity will extend the program.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I’m sure things are to look a lot different in August, maybe better or maybe worse.  If things are better then you can enjoy your cruise.  If the situation is worse then l’m sure Celebrity will extend the program.

We cancelled our Celebrity Edge sailing, scheduled March 15 and also have a Royal sailing in August.  We also will cancel if things do not improve.  So sad- but hopefully, we will be well and live to enjoy many other cruises in the future.

Their current offer is plenty generous. Why would a monetary incentive help make a decision that regards your personal wellbeing? If you’re high risk, $200 or WiFi won’t keep you healthy.  Princess/Carnival Crop is desperate to save face right now. 

It’s also just a matter of time for someone to take the $200 offer, get sick onboard, then places blame on the cruise line for enticing them to cruise. Even when it was against their better judgment in the first place. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Their current offer is plenty generous. Why would a monetary incentive help make a decision that regards your personal wellbeing? If you’re high risk, $200 or WiFi won’t keep you healthy. 

Because it's a reward for those who still go on their cruise despite the option that they could cancel which would be pretty much a total loss for X considering there is no way in hell that they would be able to re-sell these cabins. It's a revenue-protection investment.

• Like 1

I am already booked with a premium beverage package, unlimited wifi, prepaid gratuities, and OBC that I don't know how to spend.  I don't need trinkets and shirts from the ship stores.   A cabin upgrade would be nice though.  The July cruise seems to be selling very well, so only a mass exodus at final payment will make the possibility revelant.

Edited by davy jones

25 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

Because it's a reward for those who still go on their cruise despite the option that they could cancel which would be pretty much a total loss for X considering there is no way in hell that they would be able to re-sell these cabins. It's a revenue-protection investment.

It will definitely impact the bottom line for these few months, but if you don’t use your FCC within the allotted time they are still keeping your money if you cruise now, in a year, or let your FCC expire. 

On 3/8/2020 at 3:56 PM, Sammigar said:

I had hoped they would reduce the minimums for move up bids, but they haven't. Guess its because people with reservations on Celebrity are largely electing to keep their vacation plans in tact. 

I was hoping they would reduce the minimims as well.   We are on the Reflection on March 23 and within 2-3 days 3 Celebrity suites and 1 Signature suite became available.  No one is purchasing and the minimums are still what they were 4 weeks ago.