No more credit card/cash refunds from NCL - only FCC's

After spending 2 hours on the phone with a lovely Arizona CAS agent, she and I learned that even if cancelling before the 120 days precruise, the credits for both CruiseNext certificates and initial deposit will be in Future Cruise Credits only.  We were both surprised (her) and shocked (me).   And nothing is being cancelled until Tuesday, when the new rules go into effect.  She tried repeatedly to cancel my 2 cruises, but had no luck.  So NCL's "Peace of Mind" is really only for them - no cash is being paid to passengers.  Only future cruise credits, which interestingly enough expire if someone dies.  Not transferable, for any reason.  I'm disappointed, to say the least.

18 minutes ago, Always Cruising said:

After spending 2 hours on the phone with a lovely Arizona CAS agent, she and I learned that even if cancelling before the 120 days precruise, the credits for both CruiseNext certificates and initial deposit will be in Future Cruise Credits only.  We were both surprised (her) and shocked (me).   And nothing is being cancelled until Tuesday, when the new rules go into effect.  She tried repeatedly to cancel my 2 cruises, but had no luck.  So NCL's "Peace of Mind" is really only for them - no cash is being paid to passengers.  Only future cruise credits, which interestingly enough expire if someone dies.  Not transferable, for any reason.  I'm disappointed, to say the least.

As widely discussed yesterday, the new cancellation policy turns everything into a non-refundable deposit. 

I called NCL yesterday and removed everything I could from our reservation as we’re planning to cancel our 4/4 cruise. I will be refunded for all of the following:

-DD’s 3-night SPD

-DD’s soda package

-The cost of the upgrade to unlimited wifi

-The gratuities on our Free at Sea promotions

We had not prepaid for any excursions, but if we had we could have received refunds for those as well. 

All that’s left on our reservation are the cruise fare and port fees/taxes.  I’m a little surprised that the latter aren’t being refunded. I wonder whether their stance on that will change… 

Edited by LisaLisa87

21 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

If I bought 2 dinner packages and water do you think that'll be refunded?

Yes, I just called and got a 6 nite dining package and water cancelled. Agent said it would be refunded to my cc.

I do have $100 refundable credit and hoping I can move that in kind to a new reservation.

1 hour ago, Always Cruising said:

Sounds like a good case for a credit card chargeback if you really want the refund.

Their cash position must be really tight. If they are not refunding deposits outside of the 120 day period they ought to be paying interest on the money. I dont regularly make interest free loans to anyone I don't know personally.

41 minutes ago, adam_s_allen said:

Sounds like a good case for a credit card chargeback if you really want the refund.

Might be a viable option for some.  I don't think they can just change their deposit rules for people who have already made reservations - but as with everything at NCL, the agents you talk to don't seem to be well trained and the necessary updates to their systems take time.  I would presume (hope?) that their legal department has gone over what they can do, but as far as I know, a contract is a contract and has to be approved by both sides before it can be amended.  But again there could be something in the fine print that allows a change.

I don't doubt that the agents are not be able to give you a refund right now because their systems are undergoing updates.  If you wait a few days you might be able to get a refund on your deposit once the dust settles, assuming you are more than 120 days out. I used CruiseNext deposits for my upcoming cruise that is still outside final payment, so that money is tied up anyway.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

As widely discussed yesterday, the new cancellation policy turns everything into a non-refundable deposit. 

I read the new policy upside down and sideways........ my question is: pre paid DSC will be be part of the FCC but if you defer your cruise until Dec of 2022 and expecting DSCs will have increased three times (April 2020 and April 2021 and April 2022)..... are you locked into the DSC price of today when you pre paid or pay the new DSC ?? That may not sound like a big deal but it is something that I can't find the answer too.   I am guessing they won't itemize the FCC and it will be one lump sum to use towards the cost of a cruise.

May want to explore cancelling the pre paid DSC as well as any other "optional" pre pay item before Tuesday. 

5 minutes ago, esm54687 said:

I read the new policy upside down and sideways........ my question is: pre paid DSC will be be part of the FCC but if you defer your cruise until Dec of 2022 and expecting DSCs will have increased three times (April 2020 and April 2021 and April 2022)..... are you locked into the DSC price of today when you pre paid or pay the new DSC ?? That may not sound like a big deal but it is something that I can't find the answer too.   I am guessing they won't itemize the FCC and it will be one lump sum to use towards the cost of a cruise.

May want to explore cancelling the pre paid DSC as well as any other "optional" pre pay item before Tuesday. 

Pretty sure you are right on the money.  Nothing you have in place now will carry-over to the next cruise.  So get your gratuities, DSC charges, pre-paid excursions and any other extras you ordered refunded while you can.  You can always add them back if you don't cancel.  But you will pay the prevailing rate for DSC, just as you will probably pay increased costs for your replacement cruise.

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Pretty sure you are right on the money.  Nothing you have in place now will carry-over to the next cruise.  So get your gratuities, DSC charges, pre-paid excursions and any other extras you ordered refunded while you can.  You can always add them back if you don't cancel.  But you will pay the prevailing rate for DSC, just as you will probably pay increased costs for your replacement cruise.

Yes, and good luck using your credit to book the same value cruise without having to reach back into your wallet for a ton more money. I was looking into future cruises when the new policy came out and found out same April cruise that’s coming up in just over 60 days that’s scheduled again next year. It’s 150% of the cost of this year. So if I want to cancel and then get the exact same thing for next year, I have to pay 50% more for the privilege of being able to use my credit, and letting them hold onto a ton of my money and earn interest on it for well over a year instead of me.  To me I’m not really getting full credit there am I?  I’m sure they’ll be happy to point out some nice room down grades available or shorter cruises. So it’s really a pretty big penalty for canceling. 

do far it sounds like the screening processes have been good and the ships have been kept clean. It’s just a matter of if you happen to be on the one that the government decides to park off the coast for some time and can deal with that. So far it’s not a high probability but I’m not thrilled to hear the president make comments like “I’m not letting those people back on land because I don’t like how that will make the numbers look”. 

I think we may know more in the next few days as some better plans start to form from the cruise industry. Since this future credit offer isn’t making any decision easy. 

3 minutes ago, kk in ct said:

Yes, and good luck using your credit to book the same value cruise without having to reach back into your wallet for a ton more money. I was looking into future cruises when the new policy came out and found out same April cruise that’s coming up in just over 60 days that’s scheduled again next year. It’s 150% of the cost of this year. So if I want to cancel and then get the exact same thing for next year, I have to pay 50% more for the privilege of being able to use my credit, and letting them hold onto a ton of my money and earn interest on it for well over a year instead of me.  To me I’m not really getting full credit there am I?  I’m sure they’ll be happy to point out some nice room down grades available or shorter cruises. So it’s really a pretty big penalty for canceling.

Same issues here - the 2021 sister cruise to my upcoming cruise is 2x what I paid (BF deal, plus upgrade advantage bid),  and the price I paid also included airfare.  When they made changes to the Star cruise schedules, people had the option of moving to a similar cruise at no additional charge or getting a refund.  That would be a nice option.