Canada ban just announced

airhose

9 hours ago, Aussiegrlfl said:

How do Hawaiian cruises get away without stopping in a foreign port?

They don't.  Only the NCL Pride of America can do this as it's the only US flagged ship.  Every other cruise line stopping in Hawaii also has to stop at a foreign port.

18 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Celebrity continues to play catch up with all of the changes being thrust upon them. They have dropped the April Vancouver-Honolulu cruise given the Canadian port ban, but still have the return Honolulu-Vancouver cruise available for bookings. 

The Canada to Hawaii April 12 cruise is back up for bookings. Go figure... 

11 hours ago, landlocked406 said:

Where are you seeing that?  I am booked on the Vancouver-Honolulu sailing. They had it listed on the initial cancellation list and then removed it a couple of hours later.  No news from X and still on my bookings page although it is not available for booking on the website anymore.

32 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Yes, it's hard to tell what Celebrity is doing. First their 30 moratorium, which captured this cruise and it was on the first published list of cancelled cruises. Then 30 days were whittled down and this cruise was removed from the cancelled list and was available for booking. Then the Canadian ban came along and the cruise was removed from the website for bookings. And now it's back again, open for booking, even though Vancouver still can't be used. And without a change to the PVSA, the cruise can't simply shift to Seattle or elsewhere in the US for embarkation, and a switch to Mexico simply isn't feasible. 

This poor cruise has really taken a beating from the time we initially booked it as the original 10-night cruise. While I doubt that anyone is actually making any booking now, given the current climate, it's unbelievable that Celebrity still has it on offer.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

There are 2 5-night Millennium cruises...April 20 and 25...sailing from Seattle with stops in Victoria and Vancouver.  They are still listed on the website.  Out of curiosity, I started a mock booking see if they could be booked.  Sure enough, they can.  

3 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

There are 2 5-night Millennium cruises...April 20 and 25...sailing from Seattle with stops in Victoria and Vancouver.  They are still listed on the website.  Out of curiosity, I started a mock booking see if they could be booked.  Sure enough, they can.  

Which only points out they ought to be working harder on updating their website.  Not a priority, I guess.

8 hours ago, jerryd1 said:

Ensenada, Mexico

The Eclipse is currently scheduled to be in dry dock immediately prior to the cruise. In fact, the cruise was shortened from 10 to 8 days to accommodate additional time in dry dock. Unless the facility has no other ships coming for repairs during this period and the Eclipse can go in and get the work completed several days earlier than currently scheduled, there's no way it would have time to sail down to Ensenada and be ready for embarkation. Not to mention the difficulty and cost of rerouting passengers to the new port. And assuming that Ensenada is open for business and has room for the Eclipse.

No, I think that the only way that this cruise is going to go ahead is if the cruise industry is given an exemption from the provisions of the PVSA.

This discussion seems to have the same panic as the lady I watched buying hundreds of rolls of toilet paper. She told the clerk it was just her and hubby. She did not want to run out if required to stay home.

Quite clear that Alaska cruises before June are not going to happen. Where would they go? With Seattle iffy, three smaller US ports closed indefinately and Canada closed on the Pacific not only to cruise ships, but residents returning are being asked to quarantine for 14 days; does it seem either logical or possible that X and the rest can operate cruises there in April or May and probably June?

X has a logistical problem. How to handle tens of thousands of cancellations as they already have today.

The solution much like the plan with Covid19 is to spread the cancellations out so they don't have such a huge peak. Thus Europe in April and May is probably next along with other cruises outside the USA. A week of two later Alaska.

In the meantime you have the opportunity to cancel and get some refund or wait for X to do the same.

For Those who think their response is slow today - imagine cancelling 100000 bookings and some 5 times that for the rest of the cruise industry all at once.

I do hope X can, however, issue a better and correct press release giving an outline of their plans.  I just had to do exactly that for 2 national antique auto clubs.  Did not exactly cancel until August, but stated that the national club would not support events before than.