Just off KDam

regnig

Sorry if this is a repeat, just got home and haven't had time to read through all the posts.  I just spent 21 days on the KDam and I just don't have enough great words for HAL as to how the 2/23 and 3/04 cruises were handled. They were just GREAT under the worst of circumstances.  The ship was kept sparkling clean from top to bottom and we had NO cases of the virus.  The captain keep us updated as to what the different islands were doing and when St Kitts would not allow any ships to dock made arrangement to go to Antigua only to have them turn us away at the very last moment.  Everyone on board received a $100 obc for something that was certainly not HAL's fault. The Kdam is now going to head around SA to reposition for the Alaska season.  Employees who were either at the end of their contract or very close have been sent home but the remainder will consider along with the ship.  Since there will be no passengers hopefully all those hard working people will get a bit of rest over the next 40 some day.  As always there were passengers who complained the entire trip over the most inane things but for the most part passengers were upbeat and "going with the flow".

More later but in MHO HAL rocks!!!

• Like 13

Happy to hear those onboard HAL had a good experience, but I can’t say the same for those of us waiting for word on the 3/21 Oosterdam sailing from San Diego. HAL cancelled the 3/15 and several April sailings, but we received no communication whatsoever, despite the fact our destination ports had banned cruise ships days earlier. Calling produced no information. Meanwhile Princess, on which we have a SEPTEMBER booking, sent an email update. Finally we got word yesterday, a week out, that all cruises were cancelled for 30 days.

Have to weigh in on this as I was also on the 21 day cruise.  I can only repeat what Poster Regnig wrote. The staff and crew were amazing.....they kept their smiles on their faces and their main concern was for us passengers.  The cruise was very normal until the night before Martinique and the Captain announced that we would have out temps taken when getting off and back on the ship. St. Lucia was iffy and I really didn't think we would get off the ship.  Port Authority was onboard meeting with Medical and it was a waiting game but we were finally welcomed to the island.  We were constantly updated and informed about the proceedings and what was taking place with authorities.  As you've read St. Kitts denied us docking, alternative was Antigua and we were denied there.  The Captain and the Medical staff held a briefing with a Q & A in the Main stage area where they explained what this all meant to us passengers and how things were being handled.  We were assured again and again that we were a healthy ship in regards to the virus.  

I shared a few tears with some of the crew we came in contact with daily, they like us had decisions to make.  They could fly home or stay on the ship.  Some were very worried if they left the ship they might be home for an extended period of time and not know when or where they would return.  They have obligations like we do and leaving the ship would affect them as it would us in the same situation.  I said a lot of prayers and continue to do so... 

I will be writing to HAL about the wonderful caring service we had onboard during this critical time in the world. 

• Like 3

I was only on for the final eleven, but I thought they did a good job, generally, keeping us informed. Putting the Q&A on the stateroom TV might have been nice. A letter explaining why Antigua was canceled would also have been nice. But as I said, in general a good job. 

59 minutes ago, ZSandy25 said:

I shared a few tears with some of the crew we came in contact with daily, they like us had decisions to make.  They could fly home or stay on the ship.  Some were very worried if they left the ship they might be home for an extended period of time and not know when or where they would return.  They have obligations like we do and leaving the ship would affect them as it would us in the same situation.  I said a lot of prayers and continue to do so... 

I will be writing to HAL about the wonderful caring service we had onboard during this critical time in the world. 

Wow. That kinda puts my worries about finding toilet paper or making sure all the pennies get back on the credit cards from refunds into perspective. That far away from your home when all of this chaos is going on, not knowing what the future holds is a hard place too be. God bless them. I'll keep them in my prayers too. 

27 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

Of course I do ... but a letter is usual.

Actually, he said that the port had been closed to us overnight and that they had sought explanations from authorities who could not be located. I was hoping for a fuller statement, but that may be me as a lawyer rather than as a passenger.