for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

TJ's seems to have a lot of seasonal items.  Sometimes they have a 'month' of special things.  It's part of the reason i like shopping there.  Looks like they are on the dill pickle kick - the seasoning, the potato chips, the mustard, etc.

Agree. It’s kinda’ fun to shop there and see what they come up with.

Edited by purduemom1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, this was announced today and it should make anyone traveling internationally happy🙂

They are dropping the testing requirements for entry into the US as of Sunday at 12:01am🙂

Here is a link for anyone interested:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/10/politics/us-to-end-pre-departure-testing-requirement/index.html

Actually one has to wonder just how effective this testing is anyway.  Friends of ours tested negative before  flying back from Canada but the day after returning home came down with Covid.  Most likely positive when they tested but it wasn’t enough viral load to show positive. Who knows if they unknowingly exposed others. 

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

don't forget the felafel.  I think I draw the line at dill pickle lemonade though.

i knew I forgot something we talked about. And, definitely no pickle lemonade, but jalapeño limeade is ok.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Actually one has to wonder just how effective this testing is anyway.  Friends of ours tested negative before  flying back from Canada but the day after returning home came down with Covid.  Most likely positive when they tested but it wasn’t enough viral load to show positive. Who knows if they unknowingly exposed others. 

You have to remember that the test is only a snapshot of your COVID status at that moment that the swap or saliva sample is taken.  You could test in an hour and maybe pop positive.  

I wish they would require your vax card (Not a copy) and if you don't have THEN you get tested.  just a little punitive measure for not vaxing..

• Like 1

Busy-ish sort of day today. I have to drop off some returns (overly enthusiastic about Memorial Day sales) and dry-cleaning, then lunch with DS and after we are taking a few things to consigners that just don't work in my new place.  

It's really heating up here -- on our way toward 90+ temps next week, so OOTD will probably be lightweight (slub cotton) batik tee and lightweight capris. Going to try out my new Cole Haan espadrilles and see if they rub my heels...

Hi girls, Cynthia, the heat is here for sure.  I have been in a short sleeved lightweight cotton top and shorts for the past few days actually. (Including today).

Well, I fly out to Barcelona 2 weeks from today😃.  I thought about looking for new luggage and even went to a Specialty Luggage store earlier this week but then decided what I have is just fine. I know better luggage has long term warranties but OMG........ the prices are just too much for me.😲

It has been 7 months since my last cruise. I went to the Caribbean for 2 weeks back in December. Looking forward to this one as the last time I was in Barcelona was back in 2017!  I did go through my clothing recently and at least everything fits. Will be bringing 1 checked bag and 1 carry on which is my usual way. I know Europe is hot in June/July so have lightweight crops for touring. I know many gals wear sundresses but that is just not me. 

Anyway, hope all of you are having a  good weekend and Debbie, if you are even lurking, we are all thinking about you and hope you are ok. You are missed🙂

Even the heat is on high up here in the mountains!  I don't think I've had it so hot so early - possible 87 today and 88 tomorrow 🙀  My OOTD is my running shorts and one of my Sweaty Betty sport bras - it's just too hot for anything else.  Up here, it always feels about 10 degrees warmer than the thermometer shows - it's the altitude, i think.

lois - I can't believe it's been 7 months since your last cruise!!  Time has flown.  I loved Barcelona - how many pre-cruise days do you have there?

7 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Even the heat is on high up here in the mountains!  I don't think I've had it so hot so early - possible 87 today and 88 tomorrow 🙀  My OOTD is my running shorts and one of my Sweaty Betty sport bras - it's just too hot for anything else.  Up here, it always feels about 10 degrees warmer than the thermometer shows - it's the altitude, i think.

lois - I can't believe it's been 7 months since your last cruise!!  Time has flown.  I loved Barcelona - how many pre-cruise days do you have there?

Hi Kat, only going 1 night extra. I was supposed to sail back in April but the surgery got in the way.

• Like 1

Hot, hot here today….in the 100’s.  Staying in with a/c on. That is until PG&E can’t handle things. Happened last night and it wasn’t that hot at the time. It was off for almost 3 hours while they “assessed the situation” according to the texts🤫 this outage affected about 3500 homes.

Exciting times, Lois.  Good feeling when the clothes fit that we plan to pack. Sounds like you have your clothes figured out and are prepared for the summer weather. 

Hope everyone stays cool and comfortable. I guess the summer heat is just beginning with more ahead.

Sharon

Good morning to all!  Very hot here in Satellite Beach plus, we have started having our 3pm thunder storms that are more typical in July and August.  Some really gorgeous lightening out over the ocean!

Husband made it to Australia last evening, he said it was not a bad trip although none of his flights left on time.  I think that is what airline travel is like these days.  He says it is cold in Melbourne, it is winter there but temps are in the mid 50s during the day which does not sound cold to me.

Sharon, I AM enjoying the alone time a little bit.  I am not cooking, last night’s dinner was peanut butter and jelly😂.  I watched Julia, thought it was very interesting.  Tonight will be Stanley’s shows. 

Lois, Barcelona is one of my favorite cities!  Love how walkable it is and love the market on Las Ramblas.  I hope you have a great time!

OOTD: exercise clothes!  Going out to walk before it gets too hot.  May spend the afternoon floating in the pool.😂.  I hope you all keep cool and have a lovely Sunday!

Sherri🙂

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

Cynthia, how did the new Cole Haan's work? 

I put them on half an hour before going out, thinking I wanted to start breaking them in a little and within 10 minutes I could tell they were rubbing my left heel badly. Luckily I hadn't worn them outside yet -- I think I'm going to send them back. I have some other espadrilles that are slightly less cute but waaaay more comfy and also lighter weight. I think I'll just look for another pair of those...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

I watched Julia, thought it was very interesting.  Tonight will be Stanley’s shows. 

Since the ending of Stanley's series, I've had a hole in my Sunday nights. I just found out that PBS is going to start running a new series called Hotel Portofino, set in Portofino Italy and featuring a "British family who open a hotel for upper-class travelers on the magical Italian Riviera during the Roaring ‘20s."

The series promises "addictive plotlines in a lush Italian setting" -- sign me up!

https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/glamorous-period-drama-hotel-portofino-launching-exclusively-on-all-pbs-platforms-june-19/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Since the ending of Stanley's series, I've had a hole in my Sunday nights. I just found out that PBS is going to start running a new series called Hotel Portofino, set in Portofino Italy and featuring a "British family who open a hotel for upper-class travelers on the magical Italian Riviera during the Roaring ‘20s."

The series promises "addictive plotlines in a lush Italian setting" -- sign me up!

https://www.pbs.org/about/about-pbs/blogs/news/glamorous-period-drama-hotel-portofino-launching-exclusively-on-all-pbs-platforms-june-19/

Thanks for the heads up. This looks really good. I will be away for episodes 2 and 3 but thats ok. Will just find it after I come home. 

Question about your Espadrilles that you said are comfy.......is there "a give" to them? Whenever I have tried on an Espadrille, they may be cute but the bottom is hard as a rock😲

27 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Thanks for the heads up. This looks really good. I will be away for episodes 2 and 3 but thats ok. Will just find it after I come home. 

Question about your Espadrilles that you said are comfy.......is there "a give" to them? Whenever I have tried on an Espadrille, they may be cute but the bottom is hard as a rock😲

The Cole Haan ones have their "Cloudfeel" padding which is supposed to make them more comfortable for walking. But the leather-wrapped heel had no give to it and was rubbing my heel. They might work for someone else.  Here's a link to the Cole Haan ones at DSW. On the Cole Haan website they were having a sale over Memorial Day on some colors, including the CUTE blue stripe ones -- but if they're not comfortable then back they go:

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/cole-haan-cloudfeel-stitchlite-espadrille-slip-on/508552?activeColor=405

A couple of years ago I bought a version of these in both navy and black and they have been very comfy. Warning -- they aren't "true" espadrilles but they do have that look, and they are lightweight. Perfect to slip on and wear for errands but I wouldn't walk a whole day in them (e.g., sightseeing).

https://www.skechers.com/women/shoes/bobs-highlights-2.0---homestretch/113001_NVY.html

look at the Olu Kai website and their Kaula Pa'a Kapa espadrilles.  So far, the 2 other pair of Olu kai shoes I own have nice removeable insoles.   If you want something a tad "fancier" there is a pair of leather espadrilles (in black or tan), but you have to sign up to their list to get access.  The cool thing about both types is that the heel folds down if you want to do a quick slide.  May be worth your time to try. 

I may pull some of the clothes I think I want to take with me to Europe, some of the clothes to take to California with the girls and some of the clothes I'll take to PA for the wedding.  At least I'll get an idea of what might have to get washed in-between trips.  I have a comfy pair of joggers, a Tshirt and a hoodie I'm going to wear on the flight SLC-CDG and onto the train CDG-Marseille - 14 hours of travel...  i'm just going to bring a little bag to stuff that in while i'm traveling and put it out to air before I wear it home.  

on the Trader Joe's front:  I can't remember if I mentioned these:  if you like cinnamon apple oatmeal or cinnamon apple crisp, the Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bites.  in the frozen section.  i just pop them in my air fryer and they come out hot and yummy.  

Another HOT day here.  Sitting here in my running shorts and a Tshirt.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat, I have never heard of those shoes before but they sure do have some cute styles.🙂

That's the brand that i have my hi-tops through, a pair of slippers and a pair of sneakers.  Freakin' comfy right of the box.  

• Like 1

What a difference a day makes!!  Today, it raining and getting up to maybe 63 - it's 44 now at 9:30am.  It's a gray, dreary day.  ugh.

The one time I am going to be in Provence during the time lavender will be in bloom, it is going off early.  It looks like mid-July is gong to look more like end-July, with many of the fields already done.  I've got some pointers to places that track the fields, so I may have to drive a little more than I thought.  oh well.  

Made more train reservations yesterday.  The trains are filling up - I had to make a second choice on the CDG-Marseille part.  

ootd:  my overalls and a Tshirt.  I have an appointment with my hair stylist today.  And, I have to make a trip to the market to pick up some milk and salad fixings.  

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

The one time I am going to be in Provence during the time lavender will be in bloom, it is going off early.  It looks like mid-July is gong to look more like end-July, with many of the fields already done.

Ran into the same problem with cherry-blossom time in Japan. Climate change is leading to earlier blooms but agencies aren't adjusting trip times quickly enough.

This is one area where a cruise is really a good solution because a) hotels are booked up very far in advance for key viewing areas and are charging top dollar; and 2) because Japan is a group of islands that string north and south, if you find a cruise that circumnavigates most of them, you're likely to hit cherry blossoms at some point during a (several week) period.

• Like 1

Had the same problem planning a visit to Amsterdam to see the tulip fields. Was able to track the blooms and since we can be very flexible with flights, it all worked out for us. Rented a car and saw the fields as well as other sights outside of Amsterdam. Hotels were expensive but we were only staying for a few days. 

On another trip we visited Keukenhof Gardens and while their displays are beautiful, nothing beats seeing the fields in bloom.

• Like 1

I didn't even realize the lavender bloom would be when i was doing my trip,  it wasn't even on my radar.  i happen to see somewhere that the bloom was going to be popping when i would be there.  So, while I'll love seeing what I can, it won't be an 'underwhelming' activity.  just driving through the countryside and visiting little villages will suffice.

I got jealous at the salon today.  A lady next to me, around my age, got her hair dyed flaming red with pink pieces.  She started out with white/gray so it was easy to get the color in.  The lady said she just got to the  point where she wanted to something fun with her hair.  I wish I could, but it would be a nasty process to get my color stripped out for it.  

Bamba taste test:  The ones with dark chocolate coating were my 3rd pick - i'm just not a dark chocolate person.  Second place is the plain ones - man, I could shovel those things in my mouth way too easy.  First place is the hazelnut-filled ones,  i'm just a sucker for that nutella!!!

• Like 2

On 6/12/2022 at 12:55 PM, slidergirl said:

look at the Olu Kai website and their Kaula Pa'a Kapa espadrilles.  So far, the 2 other pair of Olu kai shoes I own have nice removeable insoles.

I tried those on at Nordstrom's but unfortunately they looked more like slippers than shoes on my feet. Felt comfy though.