for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

That was on the SWA sale!!  $1400 for rt from Denver to FLL. Insane!!

I think they are 1)taking advantage of everyone wanting to get away "post-covid" and 2)making up for lost revenue from 'during covid'.  

We got our 'red flag' weather warning for today and tomorrow.  high heat, single digit humidity, winds.   Ugh.  

Food front;  I made another tenderloin last night.  used the same 'brown in skillet, put in oven' method.  I decided to use TJ's Cuban style Citrusy spice mix instead of the italian spices.  I sprinkled  a little brown sugar on top just to see if it would help it brown.  It didn't, but it didn't distract.  Really, really good.  I added additional pepper because I like a lot of pepper on my pork.  Give it a try!!  

ootd;  shorts and a Tshirt.  have to put on shoes to go to the store later.

• Like 2

Hi again, I had to run a couple of errands today and stopped off at Kohl's to pay a bill. I ended up looking at luggage but didn't get anything.  Then I went to Ulta.......I don't go in there a lot but I had cleaned out my cosmetic bag and dare I say, there were 3 old mascaras in there along with some old eye shadows. I threw everything out and bought a new mascara, a new shadow pallet and some blush.

I really only wear make up on a cruise in the evenings so this should be fine. I have some lip sticks that still work well. And I like that Ulta has small applicators in a package. It is easier for me to put on shadow that way rather than a big brush. 

Oh. as for food, I went out to lunch after that and had a French Dip with a side Caesar salad.  

• Like 4

On 6/16/2022 at 12:17 PM, slidergirl said:

i spent a weekend in Trier back in 2003 after a conference in Konigsee.  it is a cool little town.  Was lucky enough to be there the weekend of a little wine fest - lots of excellent Reislings from the area where there for th sampling.  The one site I remember is the Porta Nigra.  Too busy drinking, I think.  We also took a little day boat trip up the river to Berncastel.

Now , if this is the trip where you will be in lyon, let me know about any places you eat!!!

Don't know if you're watching the temps but Lyon has been experiencing a severe heat wave -- I think it was 100 or 101 today. Too hot for me.  It does look like the temps get back to a more normal mid-80s by the time I get there. I'm going to Germany first, will reach Lyon on the 28th June.

I can't remember if I posted it or just thought it, but I'm not sure how many dining opportunities I'll get, I am in meetings through the week and only have Friday dinner + Saturday and Sunday on my own before flying back on July 4th.  I'm going to be with a colleague who's also a foodie so I'm sure we can look forward to at least a few delights.

• Like 3

Hello to all!  

Melody, Sir Winston (love the name!) is a very handsome dog.  I love having a “grand dog”, we can play with them and then they go home!

Lois, sounds like you had a fun day!  Make up, unlike clothing, is something I have always enjoyed shopping for!  So much fun to pick out new colors and then try them at home.  

Big day for me today: I had been letting my hair grow during the pandemic so decided a change was needed.  Had 4 inches cut off along with new highlights and color.  I have very coarse, thick hair so this feels much lighter.  Will be interesting to see if my husband notices when he gets home next weekend😂

I am driving to Orlando airport later today to pick up the “Wildman”.  The next week will be spent keeping him entertained and busy! 

OOTD: denim capris and a gap t, and, for the first time in a week, I actually put makeup on, probably the last time until next weekend!

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

Winston is adorable!!!  Puppy breath!!  Milk teeth!!  Puppy snuggles!!  The best!!!

I have been watching the temps for provence and Paris.  Yes, it's hotter than Hades.  I belong to a FB group about travel in Provence.  people are writing about 100 degrees and no A/C.   Depending on how it goes, i may change some of the things i take to wear.  At least my first week is on the water on the barge, so that should give a little relief.  i know when i would go down to Arizona to my vacation house when it was 100 degrees, i went from house to pool to house - the now-ex would go out golfing...

Red flag warning again today.   at 9am, inside my house was already 70 - yesterday at that time it was 61.  Didn't cool down much at all overnight.  Since i don't have A/C at the house (just a ceiling fan in each room),  i might be ready for evenings in provence!!

OOTD:  running shorts & tank top - nothing going on today but going out to the mailbox.

• Like 1

Sherri, I laughed at your comment about your DH noticing your new “do”. It sounds as if you made a nice update so we shall see. 

I bet you have some fun plans for Wildman. As my GF always says, “ I’m strapping on the roller skates and trying to keep up”. Enjoy.

Geez, Kat, you’ve carefully planned out your travel clothing so hope you won’t have too many last minute revisions. Also hope all your accommodations have a/c so you can sleep comfortably. Not much can be done about outdoor actives except hope that temps cool down some. Remind me when you leave.

Sharon

• Like 1

It’s 7 am. 72 inside house, 84 already outside. Going up to 90+ again today. We do have the chance of monsoon rain this afternoon. 

Lois I know you’re traveling this upcoming week, be safe. Sherry, enjoy the Wildman. Sharon you’re in Europe soon Kat you’re on your barge adventure very soon. I might go to Costco 😎. Y’all have fun!!  Want to see pictures!!!

Hi Melody, I leave on Saturday morning. Well, my flight leaves here at 1:30 stopping in Philly........then overnight flight with a stop in London.......then on to Barcelona. 

And I finally did it, I got a new smaller carry on bag.......I saw a Swiss Gear on sale at Target. My usual carry on is the normal 21 inch......I am trying something smaller this time. I actually did a try out and everything I put in fits fine and it is only 15 inches🙂.  It is the one below. My seat is in Business Class but  it will still be easier getting it in the overhead.  The Swiss Gear website show it runs from 100.00 to 129.00 but I got it for 90.00, which is still more than I usually pay for a carry on but I just decided to go for it.  It just feels so much easier. I packed it and lifted it above my head like I would be be  putting in the bin........the size makes it so much smoother😀. I everything I need still fits in it just fine!

Swissgear 7850 Checklite Liteweight Underseat Luggage

• Like 3

Sharon - I leave on July 6.  Fly nonstop to Paris, then hop on a train from the airport down to Marseille.  I meet up with the group and bus to Arles and board the barge on July 9.  

lois - good bag.  it's nice to be able to pick up something smaller to make traveling life easier.  I don't want to put a damper on things, but keep an eye on flights in/out of london - they've been having a lot of issues lately and have canceled flights.  Be sure to have your "Plan B" ready to go!   I'm keeping an eye on mine to CDG - a strike is called for the 5th and I hope it doesn't disrupt to throw things off on the 6th.  it's why I changed my flight to give myself an extra day to get to Marseille if I must.   Same for you, Cynthia - keep an eye on things to Germany!  

i'm doing much more with clothes this time than ever before.  There are so many permutations to what i'm doing and where I'm at that the usual jeans/Tshirt/shorts/tshirt dress won't work as well.  I don't travel in the summer usually except to camp.  So, with that, i'm trying to add in a couple of light dresses to beat the heat.  i've got a ton of sleeveless Tshirts that look 'classy', so I'm not worried about that - it's just the quantity I take vs other shirts.   This is all so weird for me as I'm not a dress person!  

it was 68 in the house at 7am.  It should cool down, as the weather is supposed to change to a high of 69 with rain and thunder boomers.  That should be coming your way melody.

• Like 1

Hi Kat, I will have to speak with my gf this week (she is my TA) and see what she says about that connecting flight. The cruise line is the one who booked all my transportation so to be totally honest, I don't have a "Plan B".  I am flying over a day early though. I always do that.....no way I would fly across the pond the same day as my cruise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I'm keeping an eye on mine to CDG - a strike is called for the 5th and I hope it doesn't disrupt to throw things off on the 6th.  it's why I changed my flight to give myself an extra day to get to Marseille if I must.   Same for you, Cynthia - keep an eye on things to Germany!  

I'm actually flying home on July 4th. My flight home is Lyon to Schiphol (Amsterdam) to ATL.  I avoid CDG which is usually a good thing in my books. And as I've heard horror stories about long lines at Schiphol I opted for a longer layover, just around 5 hours. If things go well I'll have time to do a little shopping -- they have WONDERFUL duty-free.  If things go not-so-well I should have enough time to deal with lines and hassles. And if things REALLY go south, well, I haven't seen much of Amsterdam lately so maybe I stay an extra day (or two...)

Really packing light this trip with a full-size carry-on (which I'll check) and a wheeled backpack only. The backpack is mainly for work computer and associated stuff although I plan to put my usual "just in case" items in it. As I'm on a nonstop on the way over and in business class, I'm going to try not worry too much about them losing my checked bag....which limits the extras I need to keep with me.  I'll be doing lots of trains, so want to keep it manageable.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm actually flying home on July 4th. My flight home is Lyon to Schiphol (Amsterdam) to ATL.  I avoid CDG which is usually a good thing in my books. And as I've heard horror stories about long lines at Schiphol I opted for a longer layover, just around 5 hours. If things go well I'll have time to do a little shopping -- they have WONDERFUL duty-free.  If things go not-so-well I should have enough time to deal with lines and hassles. And if things REALLY go south, well, I haven't seen much of Amsterdam lately so maybe I stay an extra day (or two...)

Really packing light this trip with a full-size carry-on (which I'll check) and a wheeled backpack only. The backpack is mainly for work computer and associated stuff although I plan to put my usual "just in case" items in it. As I'm on a nonstop on the way over and in business class, I'm going to try not worry too much about them losing my checked bag....which limits the extras I need to keep with me.  I'll be doing lots of trains, so want to keep it manageable.

I'd keep an eye on the outbound, also.  Lots of airlines are delaying/cancelling flights right now, due to a multitude of issues.  I even heard of train delays due to the heat - not sure why, but a few folks on anothr group I belong to mentioned it.

Edited by slidergirl

On 6/18/2022 at 12:45 PM, sjb317 said:

Big day for me today: I had been letting my hair grow during the pandemic so decided a change was needed.  Had 4 inches cut off along with new highlights and color.  I have very coarse, thick hair so this feels much lighter.  Will be interesting to see if my husband notices when he gets home next weekend😂

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody, I leave on Saturday morning. Well, my flight leaves here at 1:30 stopping in Philly........then overnight flight with a stop in London.......then on to Barcelona. 

And I finally did it, I got a new smaller carry on bag.......I saw a Swiss Gear on sale at Target. My usual carry on is the normal 21 inch......I am trying something smaller this time. I actually did a try out and everything I put in fits fine and it is only 15 inches🙂.  It is the one below. My seat is in Business Class but  it will still be easier getting it in the overhead.  The Swiss Gear website show it runs from 100.00 to 129.00 but I got it for 90.00, which is still more than I usually pay for a carry on but I just decided to go for it.  It just feels so much easier. I packed it and lifted it above my head like I would be be  putting in the bin........the size makes it so much smoother😀. I everything I need still fits in it just fine!

@sjb317 I once cut about 8" from my hair. (Now ex) husband didn't notice. Younger daughter walked in, noticed, started playing with it and asked "where did it all go?? Men.

@Lois R We bought two of these before our last cruise (waaaaay back in Jan 2020) and love them. If it's the same ones we go, it will fit under your seat. 

It cooled off significantly today, from the stupid-humid mid 90s to under 80 with low humidity today. It's supposed to be about the same today. We opened the windows and spent most of the day outside. We will have to close back up Tuesday morning, but have loved the coolness. It's such a rare  June gift.

OOTD: Never-leave-the-house shorts, DSG tank, REI sleeves  and OR wide-brimmed hat while I worked in the yard.

• Like 1

Hi PH, thanks although I am flying Business Class and the overhead  bins in there are plenty large😀 and the seat goes all the way down to a bed so I will put the bag above. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, awhfy said:

It’s 7 am. 72 inside house, 84 already outside. Going up to 90+ again today. We do have the chance of monsoon rain this afternoon. 

Lois I know you’re traveling this upcoming week, be safe. Sherry, enjoy the Wildman. Sharon you’re in Europe soon Kat you’re on your barge adventure very soon. I might go to Costco 😎. Y’all have fun!!  Want to see pictures!!!

Lots of trips about to happen. Melody, I’ll be right behind you at Costco and for a real adventure-Trader Joes-LOL!

Edited by purduemom1
  • Like 1

Lois, I like your new smaller carry on. I too use a similar one when we aren’t planning on carrying on our 21”” bags. 

I have also heard about all the airport issues in Europe so making sure you have plenty of time to check in and between connecting flights makes sense.  Wishing our travelers safe, easy flights, train connections and so on. 
Sharon

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lois R said:

I’d put it under the seat in front of me & use it as a footrest

• Like 1