for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

9 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I just want to get away from Sundance!!  Ugh. Got home and made myself a orangecello (like limoncello but made with oranges) and cream drink.  Easy going down.  May have many more over the next 8 days...

Your drink sounds fabulous!  Do you have more guests too due to Sundance? Or just nasty traffic?

Melody, I will be thinking good thoughts on Monday and hoping that your surgery goes well. Also hope the weather doesn’t complicate things for you. On a lighter note, after all the information related to Lois’s tour planning, I too want to go to Turkey and I would also enjoy that foodie tour that Kat is contemplating. I’m looking forward to more details on both as plans come together.

Christie, it sucks when a job no longer gives us satisfaction and a good feeling. It does sound like you have good things happening outside of work so that you can concentrate on those. BTW every cruise is something to look forward to and enjoy especially when you are also celebrating a big occasion! Hang in there.

Kat, sounds like you have found a way to buffer some of the unpleasantness that is happening for you and other residents. So maybe you can come up with a different cocktail for each day that you are working? Would be interesting to see what you come up with. BTW, that orangecello sounds really yummy.

OK so yesterday we received the workbook from our CPA. The tax season has arrived. 😕

OOTD sun is shining but with chilly temps (for CA) I’m wearing sweats and planning to take care of some potted plants that have been neglected during our parade of atmospheric rivers.

Sharon

• Like 1

20 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I just want to get away from Sundance!!  Ugh. Got home and made myself a orangecello (like limoncello but made with oranges) and cream drink.  Easy going down.  May have many more over the next 8 days...

Don't forget to fill us in on all the latest Sundance chic attire you spot. 

At the condos, we don't have a totally full house.  4 owners coming in tomorrow.  One condo definitely booked for Sundance.  Primary is owner of a events company and has her team staying.  They spent yesterday putting together swag bags for their event - stuff was all over the lounge at first, but we convinced them to move the operation in the room next door that wasn't being used yet (getting renovated into a game room this summer).  That made things in the lounge better for everyone else.   It's the traffic in town, the inability to go out to eat (everything is booked or taken off-market for private parties) that makes it hard to deal with.  Me?  I don't eat out anyway, but I can't get a table for any of my owners.  What is usually a 20 minute or so drive home can take 45 minute every night.  

After feeling like cr@p most of today after drinking my drink last night (I think I had a little too much booze in there!!!), I may tolerate things.  A Lagunitas low-carb tonight is perfect.  Maybe I'll come up with something for tomorrow night.

So far, the only "fashion" that stood out for me was a guy who had his skin-tight jeans tucked into his Timberland boots (unlaced, of course)and had on a tan puffy.  I don't think he was going to be warm enough with those jeans since it was only 11 degrees when I saw him.  Beanies of all colors (thank gosh they aren't all black) are trendy, too.  And, puffies, puffies, and puffies.   It is a good time to be skiing, according to some of my owners - the runs were empty, even with some of the best snow we've received in years.   Two documentaries of interest:  Encore performance of "Novalny" - it won the audience choice award and best documatary last year.  And a last-minute entry called "Justice" - about the investigations into Brett Kavaugh that the FBI was told not to do.   And, I've heard good things about a film called "Persian Virgin", a semi-autobiographical kind of comedy about a Persian-American girl growing up.  

I haven't heard of any celebrity sightings yet - that was one of the fun parts of working at the Waldorf and the St. Regis - if they weren't staying in private homes, they were staying there. 

I'm leaning toward the Puglia food tour.  It's in a totally new part of Italy for me.  Learn to make cheese other than my ricotta.  Seafood.  Who knows?   I'm totally clueless on what I want to do.

• Like 1

Well, today is my bday (72) & the start of Chinese New Years. I was born in the Year of the Rabbit (supposed to be a lucky year for me 🤞🤞). Charm, speed (um no) & intelligence. Melody 

AC47EEFF-C86A-486E-B70D-FF7A9C8619BC.jpeg

• Like 2

Melody, if we lived closer, I would be coming over and giving you a big Happy Birthday Hug as I feel like we are really friends😃

So this will have to do..........hope you have a wonderful day!  

5,000+ Free Happy Birthday Images & Pictures - Pixabay

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Well, today is my bday (72) & the start of Chinese New Years. I was born in the Year of the Rabbit (supposed to be a lucky year for me 🤞🤞). Charm, speed (um no) & intelligence. Melody 

AC47EEFF-C86A-486E-B70D-FF7A9C8619BC.jpeg

A very happy birthday, Melody!!  I am also a Rabbit.  🐇

I hope you enjoy a wonderful day with lots of happiness and fun.

• Like 1

Hi Cynthia, good morning🙂.......I got a reply from the husband/wife you had posted but it is more $$ than I thought it would be.  And I posted a new thread over on the ports of call board.  Got a couple of responses.  So, from your point of view, would it be pretty easy for me to just take the tram on my own from the ship and see places that way? I know it would be way cheaper LOL......one of the posters said there are quite few places quite near each other.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Cynthia, good morning🙂.......I got a reply from the husband/wife you had posted but it is more $$ than I thought it would be.  And I posted a new thread over on the ports of call board.  Got a couple of responses.  So, from your point of view, would it be pretty easy for me to just take the tram on my own from the ship and see places that way? I know it would be way cheaper LOL......one of the posters said there are quite few places quite near each other.  

Yes, it is easy to do on your own. I've taken the tram there and back on two separate cruises, never a problem. The trams can be crowded sometimes but if you feel uncomfortable you can wait for the next one. 

It may be that there will be others on your cruise who are thinking of doing this. You could ask on your roll call -- sometimes it is less intimidating if a group does it together.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, it is easy to do on your own. I've taken the tram there and back on two separate cruises, never a problem. The trams can be crowded sometimes but if you feel uncomfortable you can wait for the next one. 

It may be that there will be others on your cruise who are thinking of doing this. You could ask on your roll call -- sometimes it is less intimidating if a group does it together.

My roll call? Has NOBODY on it LOL.........I started it last week after I booked the cruise. No responses. 

The one thing I have heard is that the port terminal in Istanbul is GIANT......like the size of Heathrow Airport😮........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Melody, if we lived closer, I would be coming over and giving you a big Happy Birthday Hug as I feel like we are really friends😃

So this will have to do..........hope you have a wonderful day!  

5,000+ Free Happy Birthday Images & Pictures - Pixabay

Thanks Lois!!  I feel the same about all of you!!

Edited by awhfy

53 minutes ago, Lois R said:

My roll call? Has NOBODY on it LOL.........I started it last week after I booked the cruise. No responses. 

The one thing I have heard is that the port terminal in Istanbul is GIANT......like the size of Heathrow Airport😮........

That's new since I was there. I've heard that too....  

Once you get out of the terminal, it's about 2-3 blocks, slightly uphill, to the major road where the tram runs. There are several tram stops on that road, so it will depend on where you exit the terminal as to which one is closest. The T-1 tram is the one you need.

It used to be that you put coins or bills (Turkish money) into the machine at the stop to get the tokens needed to board. Now I think it is all modernized and you use a machine near the tram stop to buy what's called the Istanbul card (Istanbulkart in Turkish).  It's like a subway pass that put a certain amount of money on, and then you can use it until the money runs out. 

The dark blue line in the map is the line you take. The port is near the stops labeled Karakoy, Tophane or Findliki (depending on where you come out).  The direction you want heads south and west. Get off at the Sultanahmet stop, which is only a few stops after you cross the bridge. 

plan-tramway-moderne.jpg

• Like 1

HI, I hope it is not as complicated as it seems. I need to buy a pass for the tram? Euros? Or can I pay with a credit card?  I guess I was thinking this was a tram/shuttle like the ones the cruise line offers in different ports........guess I was wrong. 

27 minutes ago, Lois R said:

HI, I hope it is not as complicated as it seems. I need to buy a pass for the tram? Euros? Or can I pay with a credit card?  I guess I was thinking this was a tram/shuttle like the ones the cruise line offers in different ports........guess I was wrong. 

This is a public tram -- like a bus or subway.

That's a thought though -- does Silversea offer a free or cheap shuttle to Sultanahmet or maybe to the Grand Bazaar?  That would be really easy and you can walk to Haghia Sophia from there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is a public tram -- like a bus or subway.

That's a thought though -- does Silversea offer a free or cheap shuttle to Sultanahmet or maybe to the Grand Bazaar?  That would be really easy and you can walk to Haghia Sophia from there.

Hi, I don't know if they offer a shuttle......have not seen anything on their website about it.

Lois, the tram system is easy and it is easy to see all the above as they are close to each other. Hagia Sofia is a must see, Grand Bazaar is good for a peek. Topaki palace….can do alone or there might be guides there. Istanbul is loads of fun.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 10:45 PM, slidergirl said:

I have a pretty good limoncello recipe. My current batch is half-done. We were talking about it at work a couple of weeks ago and I think my next batch will use the same recipe, but with orange or blood orange (if I can find some) peels instead. I tried a mandarin liquour recipe, but didn't like it.

On 1/21/2023 at 12:38 PM, purduemom1 said:

Christie, it sucks when a job no longer gives us satisfaction and a good feeling. It does sound like you have good things happening outside of work so that you can concentrate on those. BTW every cruise is something to look forward to and enjoy especially when you are also celebrating a big occasion! Hang in there.

This is actually one of the best places I've ever worked, but our good manager retired two years ago, and the director before that. Both were replaced from inside *and* we're on our second manager in that time. The director has *zero* OR experience--she has no concept how it works. The manager needs experience-I think she'll be good one day, but she has to grow a backbone and learn to back her staff no matter how much the surgeons are yelling. They aren't always right. And the surgeon causing all my problems this week hates me. Not exaggerating because he really only likes about four staff menbers.

On the otherhand, I get a bye from work tomorrow because I have jury duty. I've lived in NC for 35 years and this is the first time I've been called,  

• Like 1