Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

5 hours ago, Tom47 said:

We decided to do the Antarctica cruise while on a China river cruise with Vantage travel.  They offered an Antarctica cruise on Hurtigruten.  One of the travelers in our group said  "You're from Buffalo, and you worried about the cold?  It was 40s-50s while we were there!"   Our Antarctica cruise was from February to March and the temps were indeed 40-55.  The Expedition leader told us that our cruise was the only one that season to make all the landings.  Our Drake passage was smooth also.

Buffalo and Western New York are pretty much recovered form the terrible blizzard during the week preceding New Years.  However, the death toll is now up to 45    Hamburg, south of Buffalo, got 81 inches of snow, while we in N. Tonawanda, north of  Buffalo, got 49 inches.

We do love being retired, and did not go out until it was safe.

My DH is from Buffalo too, so loves the snow!

• Like 2

Let it be noted that on Jan 25th, the “Phony Winter” aka “The Silence of the Snow Blowers” of 2022/2023 finally came to an end in this area.

No longer staring at brochures of cruises in the Caribbean nor thinking enviously of conditions in Vermont.

Unbelievably late.

7F689411-E929-49EF-B4B2-BFDB3CF37C15.jpeg

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, nordski said:

Let it be noted that on Jan 25th, the “Phony Winter” aka “The Silence of the Snow Blowers” of 2022/2023 finally came to an end in this area.

No longer staring at brochures of cruises in the Caribbean nor thinking enviously of conditions in Vermont.

Unbelievably late.

Somehow looking at a picture of a beautiful snow scene while sitting under a palm tree is much more delightful than looking at a picture of a palm tree while dealing with a snowy driveway!!!  😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Somehow looking at a picture of a beautiful snow scene while sitting under a palm tree is much more delightful than looking at a picture of a palm tree while dealing with a snowy driveway!!!  😀

Ahh, but being of great ingenuity we have discovered that a glass of dry sherry in front of the fireplace is a delight after snow removal. Perhaps even better if the task is accomplished by others.

And what on earth can you do with your skis and all that sand? 

• Like 4

On 1/26/2023 at 8:21 AM, nordski said:

Unbelievably late.

May I have some, please?   Got snowshoes from Santa but he forgot to bring the snow along with them.....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, the mice said:

May I have some, please?   Got snowshoes from Santa but he forgot to bring the snow along with them.....

We are getting your share right now and more coming tomorrow.

If Santa is still ignoring you, then Stowe, Vermont, is not too far away and you can find resorts at almost every price point, including the very expensive but perhaps evocative Trapp Family Lodge.

Would be interesting to compare the lodgings, meals, and drink offerings to those of Azamara.

Mackdogmolly is a much better source on this.

58 minutes ago, nordski said:

Trapp Family Lodge.

Would be interesting to compare the lodgings, meals, and drink offerings to those of Azamara.

Mackdogmolly is a much better source on this.

https://www.trappfamily.com/?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=PPC2P&DCSext.ppc_kw=trapp family lodge&ppc_ac=Brand&ppc_ag=Brand+Exact&ppc_mt=e&platform=m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-fG63LXq_AIVhYrICh0KvACNEAAYASAAEgIAp_D_BwE

Enjoy!

Nordski and Betsey,  thank you.

Many moons ago (1984), DH and I went X-C skiing in Stowe, staying in a lovely guest house B&B.   We skiied at Trapp one day.  Wonderful memories.  It was a great week, but sadly my X-C skis are old (like me) and waxless with old bindings and worn boots, and I am very out of practice so fall over on slopes now, which is not good with osteo of hip.  Hence, the decision to switch to snowshoes.    
Unfortunately, can't do a winter getaway now, so just hoping we get some snow locally.   We have some great places to X-C and snowshoe if we get the snow.  

Enjoy your snow!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, the mice said:

Nordski and Betsey,  thank you.

Many moons ago (1984), DH and I went X-C skiing in Stowe, staying in a lovely guest house B&B.   We skiied at Trapp one day.  Wonderful memories.  It was a great week, but sadly my X-C skis are old (like me) and waxless with old bindings and worn boots, and I am very out of practice so fall over on slopes now, which is not good with osteo of hip.  Hence, the decision to switch to snowshoes.    
Unfortunately, can't do a winter getaway now, so just hoping we get some snow locally.   We have some great places to X-C and snowshoe if we get the snow.  

Enjoy your snow!  

@the mice, I totally understand. It’s mostly snowshoes for us too these days.

@nordski, if you DO go to Stowe, you’re going to have to go right by Burlington on your way, so we would have to make a plan for a drink or a meal with you and Mrs. Nordski!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

@the mice, I totally understand. It’s mostly snowshoes for us too these days.

@nordski, if you DO go to Stowe, you’re going to have to go right by Burlington on your way, so we would have to make a plan for a drink or a meal with you and Mrs. Nordski!

Thanks for the invitation!!!!!

And, indeed, if we make the trek we will take up your very kind offer. 

We have snow in the forecast again for tomorrow so things are looking up.

• Like 1

We would gladly share some snow. The Colorado Rockies are having a great snow year. But, I must admit that we are getting a little tired of clearing the drive daily. Another storm today.  There is a fire pit out there somewhere......

IMG_5685.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

This is Fahrenheit (-25 Celsius). We’re not leaving the house!

163AF452-ED03-454D-99D7-CD648BC50E2C.jpeg

Once again you have defeated us in the 2023 winter sweepstakes. I once participated in a ski race were the temp. was -40 C, and at that point you don’t need a complicated conversion to Fahrenheit or vice versa.

This was the temp. on my grocery run yesterday. 

7D2BDF3E-5AB4-4BCD-991F-95D10C9BF139.jpeg

23 minutes ago, nordski said:

Once again you have defeated us in the 2023 winter sweepstakes. I once participated in a ski race were the temp. was -40 C, and at that point you don’t need a complicated conversion to Fahrenheit or vice versa.

This was the temp. on my grocery run yesterday. 

7D2BDF3E-5AB4-4BCD-991F-95D10C9BF139.jpeg

This was the temp (Fahrenheit) this morning. And I can’t imagine skiing at -40!

A9F07586-118F-4445-A46C-39D33B160FC4.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

This was the temp (Fahrenheit) this morning. And I can’t imagine skiing at -40!

A9F07586-118F-4445-A46C-39D33B160FC4.jpeg

Well, perhaps it was very poor judgement that led US to imagine it. So the next year the organizing bodies passed a regulation that no competitions could begin if the temp was below -20 C. 

I believe you have a cruise planned so those thoughts will help you abide these winter conditions. And I imagine HostJazzbeau may well be sitting under a palm trip, sipping a glass of wine, and chuckling at our misguided choices.

• Like 2

I DO have a cruise coming up very soon, which is making all of this tolerable! On the other end of the spectrum, I once ran a local marathon, where the temperature at the finish was in the high 80’s (f) and this was only late May. The next year, they made a high temperature regulation to prevent competitions in those conditions. It was pretty bad!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I DO have a cruise coming up very soon, which is making all of this tolerable! On the other end of the spectrum, I once ran a local marathon, where the temperature at the finish was in the high 80’s (f) and this was only late May. The next year, they made a high temperature regulation to prevent competitions in those conditions. It was pretty bad!

Here the road race regulations refer to temperature and relative humidity. I am guessing at that temperature you experienced few runners, if any, set a personal best!

Some of my best memories of travel in Europe are of early morning runs as a town/city awakes and the citizens undertake their regular routines. 

Always enjoyed watching Captain Carl heading out for a run at a port. Sometimes with other officers in tow.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nordski said:

am guessing at that temperature you experienced few runners, if any, set a personal best!

I think I heard that a lot of people dropped out! It's a very popular race, for which you have to register in advance, so lots of people at the start. I only finished because it was my first marathon, so I was determined, and my lovely, 20 years my junior training partner, practically dragged me across the finish!

23 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I think I heard that a lot of people dropped out! It's a very popular race, for which you have to register in advance, so lots of people at the start. I only finished because it was my first marathon, so I was determined, and my lovely, 20 years my junior training partner, practically dragged me across the finish!

That showed great determination on the part of both you and your training partner.