Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

10 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

And after I posted, the wonderful photos appeared! ❤️

Perhaps there is a glitch in using an iPhone to post the photos. I usually don’t struggle with the process.

Thanks for the praise, given that I am certain that your fall colours are equally, if not more, attractive.

12 hours ago, nordski said:

Perhaps there is a glitch in using an iPhone to post the photos. I usually don’t struggle with the process.

Thanks for the praise, given that I am certain that your fall colours are equally, if not more, attractive.

We ARE having a good year!

And this is just for interest, not for fall color. An art installation, called Whales Tails, just off Interstate 89 in Randolph, VT, about 50 miles south of Burlington. There is another one, also visible from the interstate, in Williston, VT, about 10 miles south.

E0F41B3E-4B93-4ECF-B5DF-AAA60C965BF1.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom47 said:

DW and I have recently started reading another Canadian mystery series, set in 1946 rural British Columbia.  My review of book 1  A killer in King's Cove     https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/4980425188    We recommend the series and think that Louise Penny fans will enjoy it.

Thanks for the recommendation!

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Stick season here in Vermont. Still unseasonably mild, with temperatures in the 60s f lately. Put the vegetable garden to bed for the winter today though - enough is enough! 

81763CF0-6E5E-4A49-9258-3046700BF68B.jpeg

in our region, “stick season” lasts all winter and its extent and impact can be clearly identified when the snow melts,

I just put out our second shift of yard waste bags (20) and have 3 bags left for final pickup.

I have convinced my wife that leaving the leaves where they fall, and making a half-hearted attempt to mulch them, is the more sustainable practice for our planet.

Unfortunately, as the winds rise, the arrival of our leaves on neighbouring lawn might exacerbate some negative thoughts up and down our street.

• Like 2

Three neighbors have cut down or trimmed large trees surrounding us this year, and as a result our yard is staying almost leaf-free!  I have never removed leaves from the flower beds, as I think they serve as a good mulch over the winter [and by spring they are no longer apparent!]  But since my lawn stays green past Thanksgiving, it's nice to be able to enjoy its verdant luster with no work involved!  [This will also save money on gutter cleaning services...]

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

70E9F64F-F796-4083-8333-45A6E80BB25F.thumb.jpeg.1d896363e9b1f26f26ed82c83fcd6cc3.jpegWinter view of the Humber Bridge & of the river on a lovely sunny morning.

AD50AA8E-CBDD-4005-ADE5-C2123E0CEF18.thumb.jpeg.4dd03b317e1c1a8a5ee29395720295ad.jpeg

Always impressed by the Humber River and that magnificent bridge.

Those views certainly make for an impactful walk.

Some day I hope we can see it in person. Couldn’t an Azamara ship make its way at least up to the bridge?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nordski said:

Always impressed by the Humber River and that magnificent bridge.

Those views certainly make for an impactful walk.

Some day I hope we can see it in person. Couldn’t an Azamara ship make its way at least up to the bridge?

Not really sure about that but probably not, the Ferries to Europe dock in the Humber River but closer the sea at Hull.

It had been planned to build a cruise terminal in Hull but that seems to have been forgotten for now.

Some cargo ships do go up river under the Bridge to Goole a port 40 miles further inland.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Not really sure about that but probably not, the Ferries to Europe dock in the Humber River but closer the sea at Hull.

It had been planned to build a cruise terminal in Hull but that seems to have been forgotten for now.

Some cargo ships do go up river under the Bridge to Goole a port 40 miles further inland.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping.

From a selfish point of view, it is unfortunate that there seems to be little enthusiasm for a cruise port at Hull that would allow relatively easy access to interesting sights.

2 hours ago, nordski said:

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping.

From a selfish point of view, it is unfortunate that there seems to be little enthusiasm for a cruise port at Hull that would allow relatively easy access to interesting sights.

The previous administration was looking at this, but the new local council (Liberal Democrat instead of Labour) are less keen.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

The previous administration was looking at this, but the new local council (Liberal Democrat instead of Labour) are less keen.

Unfortunately, for the next few year, regardless of party there may not be much in the Budget for creating a new cruise port. It just seems strange that there are virtually no choices in your area. Is the nearest the Port of Tyne?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

70E9F64F-F796-4083-8333-45A6E80BB25F.thumb.jpeg.1d896363e9b1f26f26ed82c83fcd6cc3.jpegWinter view of the Humber Bridge & of the river on a lovely sunny morning.

AD50AA8E-CBDD-4005-ADE5-C2123E0CEF18.thumb.jpeg.4dd03b317e1c1a8a5ee29395720295ad.jpeg

Thank you for yet more atmospherically enticing photos of your river walks.  I know nothing of Yorkshire.  Well, there was once a white rose and a red rose, and all those Shakespeare plays "once more unto the breach, dear friends..."  But anyway - the images you've posted here are really wonderful.  Thank you.   

9 hours ago, nordski said:

Unfortunately, for the next few year, regardless of party there may not be much in the Budget for creating a new cruise port. It just seems strange that there are virtually no choices in your area. Is the nearest the Port of Tyne?

Probably Tyne is the nearest. 

• 3 weeks later...

We’d like to echo Mackdodmolly’s wishes for all on this forum.

We are still on a blizzard warning here, so the fireplace will definitely come into play if the power goes out. Although, at this point, Québec has more outages than Ontario.

She didn’t share what music plays in the background. Here it is Sarah McLachlan’s “The Classic Christmas Album”.

43F41C95-F391-42B1-8E77-386DEB8AB1D2.jpeg

• Like 3