Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

Biggles looks happy!

Some promising signs with Carmel. Yesterday we got through a whole 57g Gourmet Revelations Chicken mousse and a 50g Gourmet Mon Petit Intense. Names might be different in UK.

She'll wolf into the mousse but gets distracted easily (probably the eyesight) and moves off, but I can load some on my finger tip and she happily licks it from there. Probably ate half of it that way. Takes ages but there isn't anything more important in life!  The mousse also worked well this morning to get her to lick her crushed beta-blocker from my finger tip.

When we came back from gym this morning she had even eaten a very small amount of the cheap Friskies I had left out in case she was hungry. Not doing that with the expensive stuff as it dries out very quickly.

Now to try and get her up to 150g/day. I think she can maintain her weight if she eats that much.

We're resigned to not having her for much longer. I'm OK with her going due to chronic organ failure, but not due to starvation if I can help it.

• Like 4

Busy day today at the Tonopah Homestead. We cleaned out our closets, decided what we are packing, decided what we still need, threw some things away, donated some things. Our Norway voyage on the QM2 is just 8 weeks away.

No hint of Autumn here in Big Swampy. 95° with thunderstorms. *sigh*

Dobby is exhausted after (watching) all that work.

81E8DA1D-2DEA-4E61-A2D0-F29FC63EE3F7.jpeg

• Like 5

I hope Carmel is doing OK.

Glad you're finally negative @techteach, I hope you're feeling better.

We've had some heavy showers the last few days so the ducks are happier.

It turns out I have to keep my old work laptop as my new one can't access everything I need 🤦

• Haha 2

Carmel is ok'ish. We think her back legs are a bit shaky at times and how she sits to drink water suggests weakness. However she can still jump 70cm/27" to get to my knee on the swivel chair.

Remarkably she weighs 2.65kg today, the same as she was 10 days ago, so hasn't lost any more. She wasn't much heavier when she came from rescue 8 years ago but average in recent years has been 3.3kg.

She has now decided she will only eat the Gourmet Revelations and only when fed from finger tip.

Today she turned her nose up at Sheba Perfect Portions, which could give us a problem if we can't find Chicken Revelations. We took the last packs from shop today. They do have beef and salmon, but not sure she'll eat them. This pair have been the only cats we've had that were not interested in salmon & trout. Their predecessor was known to arrive in middle of dinner table if she hadn't been given some on the floor. 

IMG_20220907_195640281.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I think it's a using antiquated software issue and rolling out new equipment before a solution had been found.

We still use Lotus Notes for some things and new computer says No.

I've a copy of Notes 6.5 on my old PC, which has latest Windows 10 updates.  It's not been used for 7 years but worked to access the local archive last time I wanted to check something. Not risking Windows 11 until I know a bit more about how printer and scanner will work on it.

5 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Bless, our vet suggested warming food slightly when our elderly cat was being particularly picky. I'm not sure if it actually worked.

I've tried that without success. I think the idea is to increase the aroma.

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I think it's a using antiquated software issue and rolling out new equipment before a solution had been found.

We still use Lotus Notes for some things and new computer says No.

Wow,. Lotus notes !now that’s a blast from the past. I remember that well. 
I also had issues with my old work laptop back in the day, as I was the only person who had access to the original cad system that our original company used and we literally had several thousands of drawings still in that format.

IT in their infinite wisdom refused to continue with a software support package so the “solution” was to redraw all the drawings in the new cad format. 
You couldn’t make this up. Crazy.

To our British, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand and others condolences on the passing of Queen Elizabeth II. I was six when she came to the throne, going to school at Hillside Cottage School in Camrose, Alberta, Canada (My dad was in the oil business and the Great Alberta Oil Rush was on, so we moved from Texas to Canada for a couple of years.) 

I was in the first grade, and our teacher told us the words of the national anthem would be changed (in those days O' Canada was not yet the Canadian National Anthem). The King would be changed to Queen. So for nearly all my life, Queen Elizabeth has been a constant.

I think she made a wonderful, caring and dedicated Monarch, and the whole world was made better by her existence. She seemed like she would go on forever. But, You now have a new King. I was very impressed with his first speech. I think he hit all the notes perfectly. I have followed his life's interests conservation and preservation, and was very impressed with the results he achieved with his Highgrove Gardens. I can only wish him the Best. God Save the King. 

• Like 4

It’s also a very beautiful day here. 

We are only 60 miles from Balmoral but keeping well away from the crowds, as we leave in 10 days time.

We are keeping a very low profile and staying in as much a possible as we have to take a supervised Covid test before we fly out (2-days before boarding Ovation) so we cannot afford to catch anything now after all this time.

We are already fully packed, and cases closed and weighed as our son is here just now and working from the spare room so we thought we would get that out of the way. (We always pack in fabreeze  tumble dryer sheets in the cases to keep the clothes smelling fresh-ish!)

Counting down the days. 

For all those traveling this month, stay safe and take care.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are down in Cornwall at the moment and were in the middle of packing when the death of our beloved Queen was announced. I had been following the BBC newsfeed on Thursday afternoon but it was still shocking and a moment of great sadness when the Queen’s death was finally announced.  I would normally post a cheerful photo of a sea scene but thought I would share this instead - an improvised poster in the window of the village shop. Whatever you think of the verse, I think it was a charming sentiment and many people will indeed hope that the Queen and Philip have been reunited. 

I will hopefully share a lovely, uplifting photo of some Cornish coastline over the next day or two. 

B3C40592-D6F7-4574-BBED-C9CE79552EC4.jpeg

• Like 3

As promised, here’s an uplifting photo of some Cornish coast - with a guest appearance by one of the cattle which the National Trust allow to graze in various areas along this part of the coast. We have often met the friendly cows on our walks but never specifically here. The weather has been rather mixed on this trip but was quite pleasant during our visit to Kynance Cove. 

We will be home in time to watch the Queen’s funeral on Monday on the TV. I did wonder about visiting London to pay my respects as the Queen lies in state at Westminster but waits of 30 hours are being forecast and as we are not home until Friday evening, I feel it is rather impractical, sadly. Instead, I signed the book of condolence on the Royal Family’s website. 

6699A722-6B4C-41E0-80A1-9D49342333AA.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kynance said:

As promised, here’s an uplifting photo of some Cornish coast - with a guest appearance by one of the cattle which the National Trust allow to graze in various areas along this part of the coast. We have often met the friendly cows on our walks but never specifically here. The weather has been rather mixed on this trip but was quite pleasant during our visit to Kynance Cove. 

Beautiful picture. Thank you for sharing.

• Thanks 1