Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

1 hour ago, Lanky Lad said:

I spent Friday night in Stratford upon Avon to break the trip up and got home on Saturday. I was a lovely trip. Today, I attended the local Remberance Day service.

I watched the service from Whitehall with the new King Charles. It never fails to impress me. The Brits understand the importance of remembering history and those who gave so much> That I think has gone from our lives on this side of the pond. I am old enough to fondly  remember when we all wore poppies in November, and I miss it. 

I hope your trip was great LL, I am looking forward for my next Cunard Voyage, date and ship, yet unknown. but I will keep watch. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

I hope your trip was great LL, I am looking forward for my next Cunard Voyage, date and ship, yet unknown. but I will keep watch. 

I had a great trip thanks. Things are getting back to something like normal on board.

An update on our cat; Carmel...

A few months on from the loss of her sister, she's doing reasonably well.

She's in a routine where she gets a half tablet thrown down her throat each morning to help her heart and kidney function and a mind bending drug applied as an ointment to the inside of alternate ears each day to encourage her to eat.

Her weight has stabilised with the medication and the vet seems satisfied with her condition.

Not having a sister to cuddle, she spends much more time than she used to sitting on our knees. As it's becoming colder her mum has started to wear leggings more and we've cut a couple of old heavy lined skirts into large aprons to stop her needle sharp claws piercing the stretchy fabric.

I'm slightly concerned about what the ear ointment might be doing to her brain, but the vet has been dismissive of my comments, and we're not having the problems getting her to eat that we had previously.

Not sure how long she will last, but for now she seems quite happy.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, D&N said:

An update on our cat; Carmel...

A few months on from the loss of her sister, she's doing reasonably well.

She's in a routine where she gets a half tablet thrown down her throat each morning to help her heart and kidney function and a mind bending drug applied as an ointment to the inside of alternate ears each day to encourage her to eat.

Her weight has stabilised with the medication and the vet seems satisfied with her condition.

Not having a sister to cuddle, she spends much more time than she used to sitting on our knees. As it's becoming colder her mum has started to wear leggings more and we've cut a couple of old heavy lined skirts into large aprons to stop her needle sharp claws piercing the stretchy fabric.

I'm slightly concerned about what the ear ointment might be doing to her brain, but the vet has been dismissive of my comments, and we're not having the problems getting her to eat that we had previously.

Not sure how long she will last, but for now she seems quite happy.

I hope your kitty recovers and has a good long life. They are wonderful creatures. My last cat Mimi went to Kitty Heaven last November, and her replacement is a shelter lad named Charlie, who is settling in nicely after a rocky start. But he will do fine. He became a lap cat just this week a new treat for him and me. 

• Like 2

On 11/14/2022 at 1:29 PM, Lanky Lad said:

I had a great trip thanks. Things are getting back to something like normal on board.

I am glad to hear that things are more like normal. Clearly, that was one of the reasons, I have not been on the high seas for the past two plus years. I am certain that as time passes, things will get back to normal real normal. So I am watching and waiting.

For those not watching river cruising. I did book a cruise on the new Viking Mississippi for next June. It is looking like that is iffy too. For our friends not in North America. The Mississippi is America's great river. It is fed by tributaries to the east and west. The west being the Missouri, the Arkansas and the Red rivers. The whole mid-west  has been under a drought for the past several years, and the water in the Mississippi is so low that barge traffic, which is very important to our commerce is at a trickle and passenger traffic is restricted to south of Memphis.

The Memphis to New Orleans and vice versa cruises are unable to get to Memphis and are landing about two hours south of Memphis and passengers are being bussed to and from. If we don't have a bumper winter/spring precipitation season next year will be just as bad, or worse. 

So, I am now looking at canceling yet another cruise. This is getting to be a broken record. 

But Fingers Crossed. 

• Like 1

I didn't know the Mississippi water levels are so low, BigMike.  It is, as you say, America's great river.  I once read a wonderful piece by the nature writer John McPhee about an effort by the Army Core of Engineers to reroute this great river, in an attempt to protect something or other.  The Engineers didn't stand a chance.

Edited by alc13

20 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

The Memphis to New Orleans and vice versa cruises are unable to get to Memphis and are landing about two hours south of Memphis and passengers are being bussed to and from. If we don't have a bumper winter/spring precipitation season next year will be just as bad, or worse.  

Wow @Bigmike911!

I had not heard that yet about the Mississippi River cruises!

Interesting to learn of the low level state of one of the worlds great rivers. Sorry to hear that.

I wish we could give you some of our rain right now. For the last two+ days it has been non stop lashing rain with us, (NE Scotland) and all our rivers in this area have burst their banks and caused major flooding.

I drove past our beach yesterday on the way home and I don’t think I have ever seen our sea so wild. 
I think we have had a months rain in 2 days. Such a pity we couldn’t have had some of this in the summer as the grass and fields have been damaged by weeks and weeks of prolonged heat. 
I couldn’t get to the horses yesterday due to the roads being closed due to flooding but fortunately friends nearby helped out.  
Winter is definitely on its way!

(wish I was back in Australia!)

Perhaps we could send some of the rain we've had in the the Mississippi's direction. It's turned our car park at work into a lake! 

We're getting ready to watch Wales in their first Football (soccer) World Cup Finals match in 64 years. 

Three days ago we were on top of the world on our lovely Queen. After arriving home my husband came down with a bad cold (not Covid - we checked). He’s been in bed for two days. Our cooker broke - yes, three days before the biggest cooking holiday of the year. Then, yesterday I got a call. My brother passed away unexpectedly. Feel like I’m in free fall.

1 hour ago, Tonopah said:

Three days ago we were on top of the world on our lovely Queen. After arriving home my husband came down with a bad cold (not Covid - we checked). He’s been in bed for two days. Our cooker broke - yes, three days before the biggest cooking holiday of the year. Then, yesterday I got a call. My brother passed away unexpectedly. Feel like I’m in free fall.

Sorry for your loss. 

• Thanks 1

So sorry to hear your news.

• Thanks 1

Tonopah, I am so sorry a streak of bad luck has come your way. I hope your husband heals and your cooker gets fixed. I am at the age where a family member or long term passing is no longer a rare occasion, but even so, it hurts. I pray you will have the strength to persevere and fill your mind with the good memories of your recent voyage and of your brother. 

• Thanks 1