Now for something completely different

On 12/1/2022 at 11:48 AM, Blackduck59 said:

For us what would be really cool is if we can pull this off. We are still working on the down under adventure but we don't have any dates or on the ground plans. If we got a few CC friends together in a location convenient to everyone I think we could create quite a feast. Keep it on your back burners everyone it could be a great time.

Lyle, you could take them to Spitfire, your favourite.

833531862_th(1).jpg.e9e95f5c6ac62c40ddd17364aabfaa36.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Watched 3 solid hours of Argentina v Netherlands this morning.  Riveting right to the end.  Commiserations to Netherlands;  penalties always a terrible way to go out, although probably Argentina looked sharper in attack.  The big one for us tomorrow morning, because now we've fallen in behind the English, as our chaps bowed out gallantly the other day.  Who will prevail:  England or France?  My soccer-playing granddaughters are cheering for France.

Yes, watching all the games, sad that first the Aussies being knocked out, and now the Dutch. I hope Argentina can go all the way now, that way at least we lost to the World cup Winners.

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So much for King and Empire 😁. Of course our lads didn't manage a win but we did score a couple of goals, the first ever for us in world cup. Football (Soccer) is not nearly as big as hockey here so we have to take the fact we even made it into the tournament a step forward. Of course as one of the host countries we will be in the tournament next time.

Yes as one of the host countries, no need to qualify.

52 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, watching all the games, sad that first the Aussies being knocked out, and now the Dutch. I hope Argentina can go all the way now, that way at least we lost to the World cup Winners.

Good way to look at it.  Hadn’t  thought of that pathway to a favourite.  English ancestry, so reluctantly following Three Lions.  Our son’s closest friend is Dutch, and they have are all together at our coast house this weekend.  Apparently this morning the anguish was palpable.  Who do you pick, Mic and Rosie, for tomorrow morning’s contest?

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes as one of the host countries, no need to qualify.

Hopefully we can live up to the honour of automatic entry with a good performance and with hard work maybe win match or two.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Good way to look at it.  Hadn’t  thought of that pathway to a favourite.  English ancestry, so reluctantly following Three Lions.  Our son’s closest friend is Dutch, and they have are all together at our coast house this weekend.  Apparently this morning the anguish was palpable.  Who do you pick, Mic and Rosie, for tomorrow morning’s contest?

Morocco over Portugal, 

Not sure on the England / France game. Probably would prefer England but think France will have the edge, kick off happening now.

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

Spot on prediction with Morocco win.  We’re watching now too.  Two polished teams;  exciting to watch.  France looks a fraction sharper, what a fabulous rocket of a goal.

Yep, England are putting on a good reply but may not have enough to beat them, 

Wow they just missed a penalty to equalise

17 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, England are putting on a good reply but may not have enough to beat them, 

Wow they just missed a penalty to equalise

Poor Kane.  It happens, but a huge burden for him to carry when it happens in a World Cup.  Probably a just result overall.  Football the winner:  a cracker of a game.  Coffee time.

On 12/10/2022 at 10:40 AM, Cruisers47 said:

I had the same issue with Qantas….they are rogues!!🥶

Also Air Canada, who would only give credits when flights were cancelled due to Covid.  After a very long time they eventually gave refunds to my friends.  Elderly people are unlikely to use credits!!

I've lost respect for Qantas even though I'm a frequent flyer. It is no longer national carrier. 

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

They showed games live on Carnival's Luminosa.  Right screens Soccer World Cup, left side Ice Hockey (no viewers).

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

They showed games live on Carnival's Luminosa.  Right screens Soccer World Cup, left side Ice Hockey (no viewers).

No Canadians then?  Lyle would have watched the Ice Hockey😉  Seriously, it is huge in Canada.  What I've loved about this World Cup is that a cross-section of Aussies seems to have really got behind the Socceroos, no matter which code they normally follow.  That wouldn't have happened years ago.  

7 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

No Canadians then?  Lyle would have watched the Ice Hockey😉  Seriously, it is huge in Canada.  What I've loved about this World Cup is that a cross-section of Aussies seems to have really got behind the Socceroos, no matter which code they normally follow.  That wouldn't have happened years ago.  

no Canadians watching!    england versus france 1 2.    i watched morocco versus portugal 1-0.

When my daughters lived in Canada, they were big ice hockey fans  They played grass hockey team sport in Aust.   I like soccer because it is similar to grass hockey to me.  Years ago Queenslanders played rugby league, in local parks,  as did NSW (hence State of Origin is still popular).  Private schools played rugby union.  Victorians played "aerial ping pong".  Now there are teams of different football codes everywhere.  

• Like 1

My thoughts today are for the two murdered Qld Police Officers in Chinchilla Qld.  A tragedy.

Condolences to family and work colleagues. a Civilian neighbour was also killed.

The alleged offenders have been shot and killed by Qld Police following a siege.

Rest in peace comrades.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8

15 minutes ago, NSWP said:

My thoughts today are for the two murdered Qld Police Officers in Chinchilla Qld.  A tragedy.

Condolences to family and work colleagues. a Civilian neighbour was also killed.

The alleged offenders have been shot and killed by Qld Police following a siege.

Rest in peace comrades.

Such shocking news! 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Rest in peace comrades.

Woke in disbelief this morning to this terrible news.  Such brave and very young officers.  I still can't understand what events set this tragedy in motion, but no doubt details will emerge.  What on earth turns human beings feral, with no compassion or respect for others of our species?  

Yes, rest in peace, shining stars, and gratitude beyond measure for your service.  Thank you for your words, Les.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Rest in peace comrades.

It is always sad to hear of line of duty deaths. Also the civilian death is tragic. I see that the perpetrator has failed to survive the encounter, that will save the crown some expense. It will also spare the families from having to hear the perp try to justify his actions in court.

RIP the fallen

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NSWP said:

Rest in peace comrades.

It was terrible news to wake up to. As you know Les, our son is in the force, which always makes it even rawer for us. So young & with their whole lives to live.RIP to those gunned down & our wishes to their families & friends & their colleagues.

And today just around the corner from our home, former commissioner Tony Lauer’s funeral was held, so a huge turnout of the boys & girls in blue. 
Hope you are doing alright mate

• Like 5