Plans for Third Sydney Cruise Ship Terminal Delayed 18 Months

On 6/24/2020 at 5:57 PM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Carnival have announced they are selling 6 ships.....but to who ?

Its quite probable some may end up as scrap.

Perhaps P&O Straya? But they don't sell them between Carnival brands, they are just like, transferred.   Carnival Line brand ships are the ones going, their older ones.

I hope Yarra Bay Sailing Club is not demolished, had some wonderful lunches and dinners there over the years, I used to live at Matraville in the 60's and 70's.  Go the Bunnies.

Edited by NSWP

21 hours ago, gbenjo said:

I have heard on the grapevine that Princess will be donating the Ruby Princess to Sydney Ports and it will be converted into the new Botany Bay cruise terminal. It will be renamed the Mick Fuller cruise terminal and will be officially opened by the Police commissioner himself.

Are you getting an invite to the opening luncheon Graham ? I have already received mine in ye olde Royal Mail.  Mick F said it will be Harry's pies all round, mash and mushy peas for the VIP's only. We have blown the budget guarding the quarantine hotels and Uncle Scomo won't come up with the cash for Aunty Gladys.  So not the usual fayre of oysters, prawns and Chardy.🤣

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

If all those gadabouts in their old cars and fishing boats don't clog up the area, it wouldn't be as congested.

The ole #hit box cars would be broken down .leaking oil ,blowing poison gas out of the exhaust.let a alone the poison coming from the drivers mouth.LOL,LOL 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Are you getting an invite to the opening luncheon Graham ? I have already received mine in ye olde Royal Mail.  Mick F said it will be Harry's pies all round, mash and mushy peas for the VIP's only. We have blown the budget guarding the quarantine hotels and Uncle Scomo won't come up with the cash for Aunty Gladys.  So not the usual fayre of oysters, prawns and Chardy.🤣

I was told that all the NIMBYs were collecting funds for the project and a “ local fisherman” ( rod in hand)was donating a large amount of seafood for the meal.Desert will be Humble pie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

I hope Yarra Bay Sailing Club is not demolished, had some wonderful lunches and dinners there over the years, I used to live at Matraville in the 60's and 70's.  Go the Bunnies.

Yarra bay sailing club will be made into a Royal Carribean office.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

https://www.infrastructureaustralia.gov.au/listing/media-release/port-botany-rail-line-duplication-and-cabramatta-passing-loop-approved-priority-project

I think it’s all part of Sydney Gateway.

I’m told there’s a passenger rail service in the proposal for a cruise terminal at Botany.

I don’t know how it would work with the airport to city line ,because it’s a different line.

And I was responding to a post about congestion in the area.

No, Gateway and this are separate things, hence the comment.

The Port Botany freight rail line isn't connected to the passenger network. That duplication will only improve freight handling, it doesn't relate to passenger traffic. It'd be a whole other business case to add a passenger link, and not readily feasible. It connects to the network around Macarthur, so people wouldn't want a detour out all that way to get to/from the city, or even the airport. Plus it was built to provide freight capacity so interrupting that with passenger traffic would be a no-no. 

Highly unlikely to be used for anything related to the cruise terminal (aside from provisions!).

4 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

No, Gateway and this are separate things, hence the comment.

The Port Botany freight rail line isn't connected to the passenger network. That duplication will only improve freight handling, it doesn't relate to passenger traffic. It'd be a whole other business case to add a passenger link, and not readily feasible. It connects to the network around Macarthur, so people wouldn't want a detour out all that way to get to/from the city, or even the airport. Plus it was built to provide freight capacity so interrupting that with passenger traffic would be a no-no. 

Highly unlikely to be used for anything related to the cruise terminal (aside from provisions!).

So what you’re saying is if a cruise terminal is built near the container terminal there won’t be a passenger train.

Maybe I should go back to my original idea of a water slide from the airport.

14 hours ago, in rod we trust said:

have  friends  in china that said they will be buying the ships , to make new great wall of china cars for you all . they are waiting untill next yr to buy up the royal carribean ships to make a new line of 4wd's lol

I thought the chopped up ships would be made into steel cans to house the bamboo shoots? or perhaps that chinese pineapple.

14 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Yarra bay sailing club will be made into a Royal Carribean office.

I don't think so, Royal Caribbean are going broke and chopping up their ships, Rod said so.   The club will be the corporate office of Carnival Straya.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I don't think so, Royal Caribbean are going broke and chopping up their ships, Rod said so.   The club will be the corporate office of Carnival Straya.

I think Royal has to survive,the same as carnival.

What would happen to those huge ships,it’s not as if you can park them in the desert for 3 years.

Any way rod hates Royal more than carnival but then I think he just hates .
I recon a phycology student could get honours with a study.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I think Royal has to survive,the same as carnival.

What would happen to those huge ships,it’s not as if you can park them in the desert for 3 years.

Any way rod hates Royal more than carnival but then I think he just hates .
I recon a phycology student could get honours with a study.

use them as artificial reefs , but that wont happen as chinese will buy them up for scrap . how long do ya think royal or carnival will survive .  the virus is still  around in most countries in the world . and there is no way in the world any gov would risk having cruise ships operate the risk factor is too great . even the people would avoid cruising besides you 100 odd hardcore cruisers . so i bet royal will go bust as will many other cruise companies  its just a matter  of time . soon i hope .  serves them right karma is a good thing, they have destroyed countless reefs around the world and blackmailed many countries with there threats . so now its there turn to cop it.  

Edited by in rod we trust

I almost bought a home unit in Tupia St, Botany, the 'Garden Suburb' when I got married in 1972, my wife talked me out of it.  If I had bought it, I could have sold it for a million $ now, to make way for the new cruise terminal.  🥵

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, banzaii said:

Plus it is even harder to get that far inland!

59 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Plus it's uphill from the harbour to Lavender St (where I think that picture was taken from).

19 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Plus the ships of the future will be to big for port Jackson 

That's a lot of pluses to have the 3rd terminal in Yarra Bay instead of where Rod's picture is taken.

• Like 1

OPT can be congested with the larger ships ,especially with the provisions.

Garden Island would has even worse congestion.

We will be getting bigger ships,wonder of the seas should be on the east coast in a few years and I don’t think it would physically fit in circular quay .

Port botany ,Baby. The only place for purpose built cruise terminal.

Edited by Chiliburn

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Plus the ships of the future will be to big for port Jackson 

European ports have been proposing to have limits on the number of ships along with a maximum limit of passenger numbers at ports. Maybe big ships won't be as viable for post pandemic travel🙄

18 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

European ports have been proposing to have limits on the number of ships along with a maximum limit of passenger numbers at ports. Maybe big ships won't be as viable for post pandemic travel🙄

We don’t really know what the future has for us .

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

OPT can be congested with the larger ships ,especially with the provisions.

Garden Island would has even worse congestion.

We will be getting bigger ships,wonder of the seas should be on the east coast in a few years and I don’t think it would physically fit in circular quay .

Port botany ,Baby. The only place for purpose built cruise terminal.

When the renovations were done to the OPT a couple of years ago the actual wharf was modified to physically accomodate an Oasis class ship. The actual Terminal building  however is another story, it could be done but not ideal, especially the debark. 

Edited by gbenjo