Your views please

DEEDIA

UK  Cruisers, when do you think Cruises will start again full time, they are still selling Cruises at dates which I find very optimistic, we already had one cancelled and our deposit is now a future credit, we dont want to book another and end up with credit being moved again. Personally I would write 2020 off, but there are some fantastic bargains to be had. Crystal Balls out please.

When there is a vaccine available for everyone. Should be next year as they're saying in a year's time.

It's crazy that they're still selling cruises from as soon as June this year.

No cruise line is going to cancel the season on one go. They simply cannot afford to.

Financially they need to keep getting money in hoping that when the cruise does get cancelled the customer will accept a credit rather than wanting the money back.

My opinion is that 2020 will not happen, but cruises will be cancelled a few weeks at a time - May has just been cancelled, mid-May expect June to be cancelled.

Bear in mind that anyone booking now may get a very good deal, but you will almost certainly not be able to get full insurance. Insurances are excluding not just catching covid-19, many are excluding anything related to coronavirus or any mutation of it (this also includes Saga's cruise included insurance if taken out after 2nd April).

Logically, anyone booking a cruise now is booking a mystery cruise.

If the destination port is open, the attractions you plan to visit may be closed, you may or may not be allowed off the ship. So a cruise that actually sails may simply be a cruise - no port calls at all.

I have two cruises booked this year (both booked 2 years ago) in August and December. I very much doubt that either will take place.

On 4/17/2020 at 7:30 AM, nosapphire said:

Bear in mind that anyone booking now may get a very good deal, but you will almost certainly not be able to get full insurance. Insurances are excluding not just catching covid-19, many are excluding anything related to coronavirus or any mutation of it (this also includes Saga's cruise included insurance if taken out after 2nd April).

Also as .gov.uk say dont go anywhere until further notice - that should invalidate any travel insurance

claim for anything.

On 4/17/2020 at 11:57 AM, Sancho_proudfoot said:

A gradual return is my bet, as countries ease their various lockdowns. I suspect there is a limit to the patience of populations with regard to restrictions.

In several countries, cases are now plateauing or decreasing, and l think this will continue.

Easing a lockdown does not necessarily mean welcoming a cruise ship load of passengers. I have a suspicion that many future cruises will only be allowed to disembark passengers who are on organised and controlled excursions - not those who want to wander around the local town under their own steam.

Just a personal opinion of course, and we're both of an age......

Once the lock-down has been sufficiently relaxed we'll be looking at getting away - by car.

No flights or cruise ships, regardless of price.

A time to see bits of our own British Isles and mebbe mainland Europe that we've not visited.

Perhaps buy a motorhome for the purpose, to avoid the risk of infection from hotels, b&b's etc - though it'd be an expensive option for a short-term benefit. 

Once we've had a tolerably reliable vaccination we'll be back to flights & then cruises.

But that just ain't gonna happen til (hopefully) next summer.

Stay safe, folks

JB :classic_smile:

21 hours ago, John Bull said:

Just a personal opinion of course, and we're both of an age......

Once the lock-down has been sufficiently relaxed we'll be looking at getting away - by car.

No flights or cruise ships, regardless of price.

A time to see bits of our own British Isles and mebbe mainland Europe that we've not visited.

Perhaps buy a motorhome for the purpose, to avoid the risk of infection from hotels, b&b's etc - though it'd be an expensive option for a short-term benefit. 

Once we've had a tolerably reliable vaccination we'll be back to flights & then cruises.

But that just ain't gonna happen til (hopefully) next summer.

Stay safe, folks

JB :classic_smile:

As I said on another thread, we've come to the startling realisation that we know more about foreign countries than we do about our own.  And as has been said, until there is a vaccination available we will use our time to explore this beautiful island we call home.  DH has suggested we start in Scotland and do the whisky trail!!!!!

12 hours ago, babs135 said:

DH has suggested we start in Scotland and do the whisky trail!!!!!

That involves me standing up and walking the few steps to my bottle.  On a happier note the north coast 500 is very popular and a wonderful trip.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 9:06 PM, DEEDIA said:

UK  Cruisers, when do you think Cruises will start again full time, they are still selling Cruises at dates which I find very optimistic, we already had one cancelled and our deposit is now a future credit, we dont want to book another and end up with credit being moved again. Personally I would write 2020 off, but there are some fantastic bargains to be had. Crystal Balls out please.

If you want a bargain, look at Harmony of the seas, 21st Nov 2021. Currently around £500 for a Guarantee Oceanview Balcony.

if you go through a US TA,  you can get a refundable deposit.

There is a chance we might be cruising again by then. 😁

I’ve just cancelled my July 2020 Celebrity cruise and put the deposit on a fcc to be used before December 2021.

I really don’t think cruising will ever be back to “normal”. I think they’ll keep the requirement for a medical certificate for over 70s and the prices will shoot up. Ports like Venice will take the opportunity to ban cruise ships and more will follow suit. 

Its sad times, let’s hope we all survive this virus to find out.

44 minutes ago, Topdog1 said:

I think they’ll keep the requirement for a medical certificate for over 70s

Hi - I dont know what Celebrity initially said but maybe check again if they have a health & safety advisory.

On a Princess thread someone has said

"On the Princess webinar I was on yesterday, Princess said that all cruiselines were working in collaboration with CLIA and CDC to come up with ONE universal policy regarding health and safety for cruisers. They stressed that it was important this be seen as a unified response and no single line would have a differing policy. They also mentioned that none of the lines would be using age alone as a factor, since the more that is coming out about the virus, the more info they have that it isn't simply based on age."

At the same time Princess dropped the previous  condition relating to 70+

and oddly they didnt re date it  so now it just looks like it was never there.

Doesnt mean they cant re-instate it  but gives us a bit of hope oldies can still cruise

as long as we can make it up the gangways. LOL!

Edited by Aulanis

By the way - welcome to Cruise Critic - are you from the Uk ? - it doesnt say

in your profile.   Not a lot of us about  and even less that post in the UK Board.

I never remember  about it unless there is something where  the way we do

things in the UK  is totally different than in the US.

ABTA  - Atol   Tipping-   Cancel without penalty- refareing on Price drops -

transfer booking on new promotions - inclusive drinks- tips- upgrades 

to mention but a few.  

43 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

By the way - welcome to Cruise Critic - are you from the Uk ? - it doesnt say

in your profile.   Not a lot of us about  and even less that post in the UK Board.

I never remember  about it unless there is something where  the way we do

things in the UK  is totally different than in the US.

ABTA  - Atol   Tipping-   Cancel without penalty- refareing on Price drops -

transfer booking on new promotions - inclusive drinks- tips- upgrades 

to mention but a few.  

Thanks, yes from North Yorkshire. We’ve cruised for years but never posted on here. 
We had an amazing deal on Celebrity Edge but decided to cancel before the main payment was due. I’ve put the deposit on fcc rather than losing it totally. We used to use a US travel agent for that purpose.