Cruising.... Home?

DryCreek

I just came across an interesting article:

http://ilikecruiseships.com/news/carnival-cruise-line/7-carnival-cruise-ships/

From this article they are stating that Carnival has set aside seven ships to assist in returning their crewmembers to their native country.  It sounds like an interesting plan, and I hope it goes well for them all.

Yesterday Dream ported and discharged a large number of crewmembers this morning.  Vista is now at the pier and offloading some more of her crew.

Goodspeed to them all. 

• Like 1

Interesting you posted this we have become close friends with a bartender we've had on two different ships and just last night that person shared a picture of a letter Christine Duffy. The letter mention that the Panorama will be setting sail in a day or two to bring crew back to Asia. It also spelled out the continued treatment and access the crew will recieve on board.

Say all the negative you want about Carnival but I thought this was interesting. I'm sure sending a ship to, just to drop crew off isn't cheap. Anyways, stay safe and Take care everyone.

1 minute ago, outdoors27 said:

I'm sure sending a ship to, just to drop crew off isn't cheap.

I'm fairly sure that Carnival is contractually bound

to make sure crew get back home at the end of their contract.

Carnival usually pays for their plane fare to get to work

and to get back home from work, when done.

No plane fares to pay these days, because no planes!
What to do?

We own ships, soooo... Take them back home by ship instead!

Will it cost the corporation less than all those thousands of air fares?
I wouldn't be surprised if shipping them back
is the lesser cost, perhaps by far.

• Like 1

Just now, Aplmac said:

What to do?

No, I realize they have an obligation to get the crew home, but I still though it was interesting to read the letter and what they are doing. You are right no flights and probably cheaper in the long run to use their ships.. Anyways take care.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

What to do?

We friended a bar tending couple who were flown back to the Philippines yesterday. Flights are taking off everyday, don't know what you mean by no planes. She showed a live picture of MIA and it was pretty busy. 

18 minutes ago, coevan said:

We friended a bar tending couple who were flown back to the Philippines yesterday. Flights are taking off everyday, don't know what you mean by no planes. She showed a live picture of MIA and it was pretty busy. 

Just curious if one of them is Ann

I live in a unique area.  Just to the north of our place is the western arrival glide path for DFW.  Just to the south is the approach to Love Field (DAL).  I would definitely agree that it is a wrong assumption that all flights have been halted.  Reduce?  Yes, halted?  No.  Not by a long stretch.  I would estimate that the total volume for both airports has been reduced by 50%, but certainly not more than that.  What has changed is the size of equipment being used (by American to DFW).  I see far more larger planes than before.

When I am bored I watch the planes as they glide over while I'm sitting on the tractor or just doing other outdoor chores. 

On 4/17/2020 at 6:09 PM, DryCreek said:

I live in a unique area.  Just to the north of our place is the western arrival glide path for DFW.  Just to the south is the approach to Love Field (DAL).  I would definitely agree that it is a wrong assumption that all flights have been halted.  Reduce?  Yes, halted?  No.  Not by a long stretch.  I would estimate that the total volume for both airports has been reduced by 50%, but certainly not more than that. . .

Not halted, but cut by far more than 50%.  Prior to this crisis, American had grown DFW to 900 departures per day; that number has been cut to under 200 per day now, a cut of about 75-80%.

On 4/18/2020 at 3:16 AM, DryCreek said:

I just came across an interesting article:

http://ilikecruiseships.com/news/carnival-cruise-line/7-carnival-cruise-ships/

From this article they are stating that Carnival has set aside seven ships to assist in returning their crewmembers to their native country.  It sounds like an interesting plan, and I hope it goes well for them all.

Yesterday Dream ported and discharged a large number of crewmembers this morning.  Vista is now at the pier and offloading some more of her crew.

Goodspeed to them all. 

Good news they are taking care of people who are taking care of their business. Also its a very good jesture to those who plan to strengthen international relations with the countries these workers are from. No one is to blame in this situation, the crisis has affected each and every soul in this world. Ive never seen world working so tightly with each other but I am more thankful for is that I dont see any news regarding war conflicts which are either postponed or not waged at the moment. Maybe people will look at each other under a different angle and wars will start eventually. The planet Earth is our home and we are all its citizens

On 4/18/2020 at 3:02 PM, coevan said:

Glynda and Rex Pinelli

We had a Glynda on the Vista 2 years ago. If it's one and the same she was a gem. Enjoyed her at the Atrium Bar.

Edited by beerman2

6 hours ago, beerman2 said:

We had a Glynda on the Vista 2 years ago. If it's one and the same she was a gem. Enjoyed her at the Atrium Bar.

Beautiful smile? one in the same. We have been FB friends for years. She would make me 2 martinis to take back to the cabin while my wife was getting ready for dinner. She would fill up the shaker and give me 2 ice cold glasses. Her husband Rex is the bar manager. 

3 minutes ago, coevan said:

Beautiful smile? one in the same. We have been FB friends for years. She would make me 2 martinis to take back to the cabin while my wife was getting ready for dinner. She would fill up the shaker and give me 2 ice cold glasses. Her husband Rex is the bar manager. 

She was a delight, I was getting close one evening to my 15 max. At 13 she just stuck 2 fingers in the air and smiled.