Passport R enewals Sent in Prior to CVID

5xGrandma

I Sent my passport for renewal  in January for our trip in July. It had only 6 months so I needed it renewed. Haven't received it so went on line.  GUESS WHAT?  They are not processing any passport since December except paid expatiated form January. I have a cruise scheduled on July 5. and don't know if I will have it back. Can you still travel with a birth certificate when you are going to the Caribbean?

Carnival's website says you can still go with a driver's license provided the trip starts and ends in the USA.  If going to Martinique a passport is required if you are going ashore.  There's some other comments in their recommendations as well in their "Know Before You Go" section.  It's a good read.

I got lucky. We are scheduled for a June /July cruise and ours would have expired in July. I decided to do the expedite and overnight just to be safe, even though it was expensive. I sent them in on March 12 and had our books back on March 18 and our cards back on the 19th. I don't normally overnight because I live right outside Philly (which is where they go for expedite) and regular mail is overnight anyway, but I'm glad I did. Hopefully you get yours back soon!!

8 minutes ago, alliecat1970 said:

I filed in Feb cruise was April 2020, I have looked on their website still processing. You're not alone my friend.   Janet

I sent mine in on Feb 2 and my wife sent hers on Feb 7.  She got her passport in 3 weeks and I got an email at 4 weeks that the passport center did not stamp or sign my application; I immediately filled out a new form and made sure they stamped it and mailed it that day and the status still says processing.....  We had a cruise scheduled for April 27 that got Covicancelled and I just hope it's here by our July 25 cruise.  If not I'll use BC.

19 hours ago, 5xGrandma said:

I Sent my passport for renewal  in January for our trip in July. It had only 6 months so I needed it renewed. Haven't received it so went on line.  GUESS WHAT?  They are not processing any passport since December except paid expatiated form January. I have a cruise scheduled on July 5. and don't know if I will have it back. Can you still travel with a birth certificate when you are going to the Caribbean?

They have not suspended passport operations. They have suspended EXPEDITED passports and warn of significant delays in processing and mailing. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/passport-covid-19.html

I was getting ready to apply for a passport for my daughter until I came across this thread.  (We are booked for a July 12th cruise, so we'll see how that goes.)  I am thinking though that maybe I shouldn't apply.  Children (she'll be five) can still sail with just their birth certificate, correct?  (We're leaving out of Miami and going to Half Moon Cay, Amber Cove, and Grand Turk.)  I fear that if I send in her birth certificate for the passport that we won't get that or the passport back before our cruise.  Thanks.  

1 hour ago, jerseygirlinAZ said:

I fear that if I send in her birth certificate for the passport that we won't get that or the passport back before our cruise.  Thanks.  

Before I applied for my first passport in November 2015 for my cruise in February 2016, I requested a second copy of my birth certificate.  Even though I would get it back, I didn't want to be without a birth certificate in the meantime.

I expedited the birth certificate directly with the state.  I only paid $20($15 for the certificate and $5 to expedite). I got the second certificate a week after I mailed the form.  Now my original copy never leaves my home.  I don't know if you would get it back in a week right now.

Edited by Tiger0613

7 minutes ago, Tiger0613 said:

Before I applied for my first passport in November 2015 for my cruise in February 2016, I requested a second copy of my birth certificate.  Even though I would get it back, I didn't want to be without a birth certificate in the meantime.

I expedited the birth certificate directly with the state.  I only paid $20($15 for the certificate and $5 to expedite). I got the second certificate a week after I mailed the form.  Now my original copy never leaves my home.  I don't know if you would get it back in a week right now.

Thanks for the reply.  My husband ordered a certified copy of her birth certificate today and paid to have it expedited, though who knows if that really means anything with the state of things.  It says we should get it within five days.  We'll see.  We'll apply for the passport once we received the certified copy and keep the original birth certificate with us.  Am going to try not to worry too much as who knows if the cruise will even happen.  Thanks again for the response!

On 4/20/2020 at 6:16 PM, jerseygirlinAZ said:

I was getting ready to apply for a passport for my daughter until I came across this thread.  (We are booked for a July 12th cruise, so we'll see how that goes.)  I am thinking though that maybe I shouldn't apply.  Children (she'll be five) can still sail with just their birth certificate, correct?  (We're leaving out of Miami and going to Half Moon Cay, Amber Cove, and Grand Turk.)  I fear that if I send in her birth certificate for the passport that we won't get that or the passport back before our cruise.  Thanks.  

Under best circumstances I wouldn't send a birth certificate in for a passport in April when you cruise is in July. 6-8 weeks plus allowing time for mail delays doesn't leave you any wiggle room. No, if you only have on birth certificate copy I would definitely not send that in now. Yes, she can sail with a birth certificate only.

You can definately still sail without a passport.  After our kid's original passports expired we were waiting on the youngest to turn 16 so it would be good for 10 years instead of 5 so they have cruised without a couple of times.  We have never needed it luckily.  Definately get a certified copy of any birth certificates sent in so you will for sure have those.  I am hoping to get my kid's new passport apps sent in once things start to open up again now that they are all 16+.