Redeployment of Sapphire and segmented cruises

land lover

In 2018 we circumnavigated AU and enjoyed it so much, booked another cruise on Sea Princess in 2021. 

A few weeks ago when looking at AU cruises I noticed the redeployment of Sapphire and all these new AU cruises.

Since Sapphire is larger than Sea, saw a different itinerary which interested me so I booked, Sept 2020.

My question....... when looking at my cruising history....for my first sailed and Feb. booked cruise  only 1 credit shows but for the Sept. cruise why do 5 credits show?

I understand about segmented cruises, but our past ones were segmented as well, just not sold in the states. The Sept. cruise segments are sold on the  U.S. site, is this the reason why my history shows 5, even though I only booked the 30 day cruise?

If this cruise does sail...are there any other benefits besides the 5 credits, that one might receive?

Edited by land lover

We have done the 28night (and once a 35 night including NZ ports) circumnavigation of Australia, but I don't think there would be any other benefits on top of the 5 credits. If you are already at Elite status, then it won't make any difference at all.

You mention some doubt that the cruise will proceed. I agree. I doubt that the cruise will proceed. In addition, you indicate that you are from USA. Even if the cruise does proceed, it might be limited to people from Aust and NZ. I feel it's doubtful Australia's borders will open for overseas arrivals by September. Australia is controlling COVID very well and the government might not want to threaten this by allowing new arrivals. To give you an idea, we have one-tenth the population of the US. We have 6,566 confirmed cases, and it is highly likely that number includes all cases because there is a team who track every case to find their contacts. We have a total of 68 deaths - so few that each one is announced over the whole country with details, although not always the name.

All the best. I hope you cruise does proceed and that you come to Australia and enjoy it.🙂

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure the cruise will be cancelled because our Government has suggested our international border will be closed for 6 months, and in reality we are expecting the end of the year. I believe it is currently heading for Manila as the Aussie cruises were abandoned. 

Thanks for your Australian input..I am guessing the same about not sailing but one can hope....  AU pop. of 26 million and ours in CA alone being almost 40...it is pretty difficult for our state to get a handle on the virus......let alone testing.

After your fires  what more does your country need....certainly better to be on the safe side. We have been on lock down in CA for  almost a month now...not pleasant at all.

I agree about locals most likely being the first to cruise......

Thanks again....

Edited by land lover
  • Thanks 1

Land Lover.

Have patience. You will have another time in the future to schedule your Australian cruises. Regarding your question about cruise credits, you are awarded one cruise credit for each individual voyage number or each segment (not booking number). Your booking probably can be booked as five different cruises. Additional cruise credits are earned if you stay in a full suite and/or if you are a solo in a cabin.

We were on an 11 day cruise on the Sapphire that could be booked as a 4 and a 7 day.  We got 4 cruise credits because we were in a full suite.  And we ended up getting 4 mini bar set-ups as well - one for each segment for being Elite and one for being in a full suite.  Good think we were traveling with friends!  The point is that if you are Elite, you'll get a mini bar set-up for each segment.

16 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

We have done the 28night (and once a 35 night including NZ ports) circumnavigation of Australia, but I don't think there would be any other benefits on top of the 5 credits. If you are already at Elite status, then it won't make any difference at all.

Actually it, does make a difference. Every cruise credit counts towards the Loyalty OBC. That extra OBC on every cruise regardless of length makes a difference. I get an extra $100 on every cruise. 

The Loyalty Credit is with the 21st, 32nd, 42nd and 52nd cruise credits for $25, $50, $75 and $100 respectively. It's based on the # of cruise credits, not the # of cruises, and applies to a cruise of any length.

20 - 31 cruise credits $25 onboard cabin credit

32 - 41 cruise credits $50 onboard cabin credit

42 - 51 cruise credits $75 onboard cabin credit

52nd cruise credits $100 onboard cabin credit

Thanks for the additional input...about the mini bar( I wondered about that) and the loyalty credit, (never thought about that).....nice to see the credit amounts written out, Pam...lucky u, in the 100 dollar range ..but I won't complain about $50 per cruise and I think I might even break into the $75..if this cruise were to sail. If I recall correctly my loyalty credit  was converted to AUD, on my last AU cruise unlike other OBC which is already in AUD.

Just found it interesting that our first 28 days in Sept/Oct. 2018, ...did have several segments when we rounded Australia....but none were sold in the U.S., the same as my identical cruise booked for Feb 2021, both only 1 credit. Yet this Sapphire, Sept.2020, 30 day cruise has 5 segments all sold in the U.S., thus I am assuming that is why I would be getting 5 credits. who knows...???

It is interesting to see that the Feb. 2021 on the sea princess was sold out for so long and now of course their is some availability. Probably due to all these Sapphire options which are priced very inexpensively.

Thanks again...L🙃ri

7 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

Actually it, does make a difference. Every cruise credit counts towards the Loyalty OBC. That extra OBC on every cruise regardless of length makes a difference. I get an extra $100 on every cruise. 

The Loyalty Credit is with the 21st, 32nd, 42nd and 52nd cruise credits for $25, $50, $75 and $100 respectively. It's based on the # of cruise credits, not the # of cruises, and applies to a cruise of any length.

20 - 31 cruise credits $25 onboard cabin credit

32 - 41 cruise credits $50 onboard cabin credit

42 - 51 cruise credits $75 onboard cabin credit

52nd cruise credits $100 onboard cabin credit

Yes. You are correct that the loyalty credit is paid on the number of cruise credits. I didn't think about that credit because it is out of reach for many cruisers. BTW, we are also on the $100 loyalty level. 🙂

Did the Sapphire Princess get her 2 week dry dock refurb this year as planned?

I read they were not going to add the extra beds to cabins. In our new world,  that is a good thing. 

Have they installed the Medallon net  as well?

We are booked for July 7th 2020.

It's still nearly 2 months away. Alot can change in a day,  let alone in that time. I am still hopeful!!

On 4/19/2020 at 4:39 PM, Aus Traveller said:

Yes. You are correct that the loyalty credit is paid on the number of cruise credits. I didn't think about that credit because it is out of reach for many cruisers. BTW, we are also on the $100 loyalty level. 🙂

It's funny. A number of times I have answered a question regarding the loyalty credit and, in doing so, have also said I would never qualify. If (and that's a very big if) our scheduled cruises were to actually happen we would have 19 cruise credits - very close to the first loyalty credit level. How very surprising to me.  I don't believe our cruises will happen as we have a B2B2B booked for November/December in Australia and New Zealand. It's sooooooooo very unlikely those will happen.

On 4/21/2020 at 7:02 AM, alazok said:

It's still nearly 2 months away. Alot can change in a day,  let alone in that time. I am still hopeful!!

It's good to be hopeful, but you also need to be prepared for disappointment.

Even if in the extremely unlikely event of your cruise going ahead, you would certainly be traveling without any insurance coverage for covid-19 related problems. For me that makes any cruise a non-starter.

Insurance coverage will not be available until well after a successful vaccine has been produced and distributed.

The Saffire been at Singapore for about two months I think, and as stated in now heading to Manila...

Maybe to off load crew ???

the more I read I beginning to doubt if the 2020-2021 season in Australia will happen... I would say not...

it is a pity as had 3 cruises booked on her in October and November this year.....

As one can't even go for a drive....   for the mean time it is stay at home....   

would love to get away...

Cheers Don