A cruise liners captains perspective on recent events

4 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Alternatively, copping a lot of flak and being unreasonably kicked out of countries does encourage those involved to put their side forward...

Agreed. I still think it was very shoddy of the government to do that, especially to the ships that did not have any disease on it.

Mic you left a word out - SERVICE.

When I went to sea I worked on Cargo Liners.   Pre container refrigerated vessels that mainly ran from UK to Australia & NZ.

Prior to each vessels planned voyage, notices were placed with agents & in the maritime press.  These stated that the named vessel would be accepting cargo for listed ports at a certain berth warehouse up to a certain date.  This was the service.

They also carried a few passengers. Up to 12 with no doctor onboard.

When I emigrated to Australia I came out on the P&O liner Iberia. She departed Tilbury & picked up passengers in Rotterdam, Cape Town & Durban for landing in Cape Town, Durban, Fremantle, Adelaide, Melbourne & Sydney. This was a liner voyage as apposed to the repositioning cruise I did a few years ago on the Sapphire Princess. She departed Southampton landing & picking up passengers in Rome & Dubai.  As it was a cruise we went to various other ports between these two ports.

ss Iberia.JPG

Sapphire Princess Las Palmas.JPG

I certainly don't want to pretend to have anything near the vast knowledge of the Sea Dog. My understanding of the term "Ocean LINER" was that they were fast sea going vessels built to cut through and handle heavy seas with relative comfort. Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, United States and Normandie were all Ocean Liners. Queen Elizabeth 2 (the now floating hotel in Dubai) was probably the last of the Liners in operation. Queen Mary 2 is an Ocean liner, she was built in that style for the purpose of fast comfortable crossings of the North Atlantic. As others have said she is an Ocean Liner that also does cruises, she is not a cruise ship that from time to time does a Trans Atlantic or Trans Pacific crossing, as a necessity to reposition. Queen Mary 2 truly is unique and it is doubtful there will be another like her.

I'm with the Sea Dog Cruise Liner is an oxymoron Cruise Ship, Ocean Liner.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I certainly don't want to pretend to have anything near the vast knowledge of the Sea Dog. My understanding of the term "Ocean LINER" was that they were fast sea going vessels built to cut through and handle heavy seas with relative comfort. Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, United States and Normandie were all Ocean Liners. Queen Elizabeth 2 (the now floating hotel in Dubai) was probably the last of the Liners in operation. Queen Mary 2 is an Ocean liner, she was built in that style for the purpose of fast comfortable crossings of the North Atlantic. As others have said she is an Ocean Liner that also does cruises, she is not a cruise ship that from time to time does a Trans Atlantic or Trans Pacific crossing, as a necessity to reposition. Queen Mary 2 truly is unique and it is doubtful there will be another like her.

I'm with the Sea Dog Cruise Liner is an oxymoron Cruise Ship, Ocean Liner.

Eventually replaced in modern times by air liners.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Mic you left a word out - SERVICE.

When I went to sea I worked on Cargo Liners.   Pre container refrigerated vessels that mainly ran from UK to Australia & NZ.

Prior to each vessels planned voyage, notices were placed with agents & in the maritime press.  These stated that the named vessel would be accepting cargo for listed ports at a certain berth warehouse up to a certain date.  This was the service.

They also carried a few passengers. Up to 12 with no doctor onboard.

When I emigrated to Australia I came out on the P&O liner Iberia. She departed Tilbury & picked up passengers in Rotterdam, Cape Town & Durban for landing in Cape Town, Durban, Fremantle, Adelaide, Melbourne & Sydney. This was a liner voyage as apposed to the repositioning cruise I did a few years ago on the Sapphire Princess. She departed Southampton landing & picking up passengers in Rome & Dubai.  As it was a cruise we went to various other ports between these two ports.

ss Iberia.JPG

Sapphire Princess Las Palmas.JPG

Thanks for the photo of the Iberia!!  I came to Australia as a toddler with my parents aboard that ship in August 1964.

On 4/29/2020 at 1:02 AM, VK3DQ said:

Or is is she a Cruise ship that at times operates as a trans Atlantic Ferry a three day trip  

Wow thats fast!!    must be a" Super Cruise Liner" 😉

6 or 7 days is usual?

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 8:32 AM, VK3DQ said:

A Liner is a ship that operates on a Regular LIne Voyage   as opposed to a Tramp Steamer that picks up cargo / passengers according to demand     a Cruiser has large guns  there were some Liners that operated cruises at the latter parts of their lives here in Australia Oriana 1 would be an example

Cruise Ship would be the correct description for our modern flat bottom cruise barges

Regards

John

Be fair,some cruisers have medium and small guns.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Be fair,some cruisers have medium and small guns.

Ahhh BUT they sure look big when they are pointing straight at you :-)

Regards

John

• Haha 1